• Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hey guys This is long i am sorry ...

I was out yesterday and stopped by ********* MARKETS ....

Doing a little sticky beaking... I Heard the birds and went straight over to see a huge aray of budgies ...

The first cage all male Adults some nice ..... The next Mixed babies ...... Next Greens ..... Next OMG!!!!!

I turned and re looked at the cages THEY HAD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Food all Husks ..... NO WATER Empty Containers ..............

I Looked thoughly at the birds 15 had scaley face, 8 had beak deformative this little guy has no chance looked no more then 8 weeks old and it's beak was like this < it couldn't close it could eat and couldn't drink ......

2 seemed to have leg issues couldn't pearch and 1 was draggin it's legg on the floor ...

4 birds were fluffed on the bottom of the cage 1 was being plucked by the others .....

I was standing there watching the WORKERS SELL MALES AS FEMALES AND VICE VERSA! and then these 2 little kids were buying budgies their mother asked them will the breed the workers said have you got a nest box the mother said yes the worker said YES THE WILL BREED ... The mother then asked when THE WORKER THEN SAID 3 MONTHS OLD ... I stopped there !!!

I asked for the BOSS and let it RIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was waiting for security to come ...

I was totally disgused that they were selly birds with scaly face as ( SLEEP IN THEIR EYES ) DEFORMED BEAKS as they need to be cut like toe NAIL ....

I told this boss that they all had no seed no water, Scaley face 2 to the point where they could not see she told me will treat them when they get home ... I scared away 6 customers and coped a dirty look ( please ) .....I told them that I have recored their Business name ( advertised on back of shirts) will be be reporting the to BOTH THE RSPCA AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS .... they told me this is the condition they recieved their birds from breeders .. Adv that I was a breeder and there is no way in GODS GREEN EARTH that i would let my birds go like this. ....

Then i left crying I just wanted to take them home and care for them and fix them all up ... Just beacause they are $20 bird doesn't mean they should not get the same care, attention and Vet treatments that a $300 -$1,000 bird does ....

I tried looking for the mother with the 2 kids to tell them differenlty but couldn't find them .....

I cooled off and then went and seen another one .... ALL WERE FINE apart from 1 FALLOW OR LACE WING CAN"T GET THIS ONE RIGHT ANY WAY HAD RED EYES WITH IRIS SO THINK FALLOW .... It's beak was bad bad mendable ...... They too get there birds from breeders then sell them "AS IS" ....

and finally 1 more stop .... FEWWWWWWWWWW All were okay ... I asked to speak to the person in charge just to vent a little ... Told them how happy I was to see such nice birds well cared for and in great condition ... THEY LOOKED AT ME SO FUNNY !!! ... ADV of the other one ..... I said thank you and left .....

The thing is I may have gone over the top and may not have been any of my business - But if a child, Dog or Horse was in the same condition I am sure that someone would have said something too -

Thanks for the Vent .....***************** PET SHOPS GRRRRRRR

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,867
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  198
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,737
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Achievement Points:  11,910
  • Birthday:  25/09/1970

that sound so awful, it would have been so hard to see birds in that condition.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

those flea type of markets are terrible, I have seen many animals being sold like that :D very sad

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

You go girl! Well done. I don't think you went over the top.Proud of you!!! Pity it probably wont do anything, but good on you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

What horrible conditions :D I hate seeing birds like that - it's so cruel and happening more often too :D

Well done for standing up and being a voice for the little guys :)

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Not all markets are bad.

The first saturday of every month I go to Cobbitty Markets. There is one person there that sells budgies, cockatiels and finches. They are an elderly couple. I was watching the lady who had a hand raised cockatiel. She took it out of the cage and let it climb up the front of her. She obviouly loved it and it loved her. She did nto do this to show off but rather it was as she went over and talked to another lady who ran a stall.

As for the birds, they are mostly all young. I actually bought Hugo there. he is a great bird and his only health concern was that he broke a blood feather, and any bird could do that.

Neat, on the first saturday of may, the 3rd i think it is, go out to Cobbitty and see the people there, they are good people. It is held in the primary school that is on Cobbitty Rd. It is not far from you.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I am glad you did what you did Neat. Hope it gets a follow up and sorted out. People like that dont deserve to be in a busines with living creatures. :D

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Not all markets are bad.The first saturday of every month I go to Cobbitty Markets. There is one person there that sells budgies, cockatiels and finches. They are an elderly couple. I was watching the lady who had a hand raised cockatiel. She took it out of the cage and let it climb up the front of her. She obviouly loved it and it loved her. She did nto do this to show off but rather it was as she went over and talked to another lady who ran a stall. As for the birds, they are mostly all young. I actually bought Hugo there. he is a great bird and his only health concern was that he broke a blood feather, and any bird could do that.Neat, on the first saturday of may, the 3rd i think it is, go out to Cobbitty and see the people there, they are good people. It is held in the primary school that is on Cobbitty Rd. It is not far from you.
THANKS DAVE, I used to go to Cobbity Markets they have great craft stuff there I am writing on the whiteboard for 1st sat in May ........Thanks all for letting me vent it was horrible -
I am glad you did what you did Neat. Hope it gets a follow up and sorted out. People like that dont deserve to be in a busines with living creatures. :D
I am glad i did too - I could of said nothing ! But at least they know that there are people out there that know what they are talking about ... I am sure I won't get anywhere with the the Co but at least the people that heard me would ( most of the top half of the market) would have second thoughts buying from them
  • 5 months later...

• Member ID:  4,669
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,285
  • Birthday:  12/06/1987

I had no idea that markets were still aloud to sell live stock - maybe it is just a Victoria thing?, Carribean Gardens in fern tree gully used to have a market back when i was a tiny kid. But no live stock has been sold for years.

It absolutely breaks my heart to hear these stories! They are important tho.

Vent away! If I had have seen that i would be venting as well

• Member ID:  3,733
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,820
  • Birthday:  16/01/1972

There should be some law introduced for anyone selling birds/pets to have some basic understanding on animal husbandary. Perhaps some sort of week long course at tafe.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Good on you Neat. Those people were giving false information and selling faulty "product" (sorry that sounds horrible) and they were doing false advertising, selling males as female etc. Also not providing food and water is against the law, under the Animal Welfare act.

See at least you prevented 6 people from buying an unhealthy bird and having their hearts broken.

Edited by Sailorwolf

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I had no idea that markets were still aloud to sell live stock - maybe it is just a Victoria thing?, Carribean Gardens in fern tree gully used to have a market back when i was a tiny kid. But no live stock has been sold for years.

Here in the U.S. they are allowed. I remember when I was younger I bought a baby bunny he died in 3 days from e. coli infection, I spent 100 U.S. on him at the vet er center, I would do the same but it was devestating for me. It is very sad :P. Good on you Neat!

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  4,682
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  165

I cant visit markets because of the fear of seeing animals that exist for pure profit and keep in disgusting conditions. Imagine where they are kept when not at the markets.

I figure it is best for me to stay away or else I will probably end up in jail.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,121
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  775

Victorian markets are allowed to sell live animals, pets, chickens, pigeons, etc.

• 6 months later...
Guest mariah

i am......speechless.

they said that the birds were bought in like that condition,

but that is not a excuse for the food ,water,

plucking,bad condition,rip off, MARKET PERSON SAYING THEY CAN BREED AT 3 MONTHS?!

oh my god,

very proud that you didn't stand there like a dodo!

you told them all about there horrible marketing ways.

GO YOU!

also lie post a notice on it or something...

wow