• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

One of the things I missed the most was updates on Lucas.I'm so glad that everything is going well.

I was thinking of you guys when the forum was down.Hope the chemo continues to go well.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Wonderful news Shawna…good luck.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

With an attitude like that he will!!!! Hats off to you and your family and we will continue to pray for him in our nightly blessings.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Well I can report that his first big chemo went off without a hitch. We were discharged roughly 24 hours after the meds were started. We could have stayed another night but he was doing so awesome that we decided to go home. He really wanted to. And it is now a couple of days later and he hasn't been sick at all. In fact, he is feeling quite silly and frisky... goofing around. He had a big giggle fest this afternoon. He makes me smile. Before we left the hospital we were praising him for how well he was doing. He said, "Mommy... am I kickin' cancer's butt?" I said, you sure are honey. Thanks everyone!!!!!!

• Member ID:  3,235
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,965
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Achievement Points:  12,755
  • Birthday:  20/08/1940

Awesome news Shawna…really great.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

that is such great news . yeeaahh !!

• 1 month later...

It has been awhile since my last post. Life is busy now that I'm back at work. But all is going fairly well. Lucas has completed round 2 of chemo. He had to have a reduction in the dosage because his GFR test showed reduced kidney function. He is back in school and glad to be there. He is feeling well but does have headaches on a regular basis which causes me a TREMENDOUS amount of anxiety. His oncologist didn't seem worried when we were in last, but the headaches bring me back to the weeks prior to diagnosis. I'll be glad when he has his next MRI which is in November... yet I'm scared at the same time.

I'm also sad to report that Sylvester died. He was back at mom's because he was missing the flock. She had them out all summer but there was an unexpected cool night and Sylvester and one of mom's babies were found dead the next morning. We can only attribute it to the cold. Mom waited a week to tell me because she knew how upset I would be. And I was. He was a special bird. All of the other birds are doing well. And at least we have his babies.

I hope you are all well and one of these days I'll catch up on the posts.

glad to hear that he got thru the chemo and is feeling better. l'm continue in praying for you, your son and your family.

l'm very sorry to hear of your sad news about Sylvester :)

((((hugs))))

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

Oh Shawna I am so sorry to hear about Sylvester :D

I hope and pray that Lucas's health continues to improve and his test results come back positive in November.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Edited by Riebie

:ausb: So glad to hear that Lucas is doing well albeit the headaches, you must feel so much relief. Followup is necessary so don't worry about the MRI. Sorry about Sylvester, these little guys are just so delicate, hopefully, one day, you can get some of them back. :D

• Member ID:  2,952

Hi Shawna,sorry to hear about sylvester.I hope that the headaches don't mean bad news.Just wanted to let you know that I think of you and your family daily and hope that all will work out great.Still sending positive thoughts and vibes your way.Stay strong and thank you for taking the time to update us.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh Shawna my heart just dropped when I read about Slyvester he was a wonderful bird I am so sorry. I remember when you first joined the forums with him :D :D little one.

On a good note I am so happy that Lucas is doing well. What a brave and wonderful boy & great mom you are.

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Shawna, I am so pleased to keep hearing about how well he is doing with his treatments. He is dealing with this with so much strength and maturity. All my love, positive vibes and prayers continue to come your way.

Western Australia has for many years had the most successful telethon in support of our children's hospital than anywhere else in Australia. I believe per capita it is the the most succesful worldwide. A lot of money goes into childhood research as well. It is not held until October, but I will donate extra this year as a tribute to Lucas. I look forward to seeing any photos you may have of his presentation on Sunday.

Aly

Aly, thanks. I think that donations to children's hospitals are the best charitable donations anyone can make. Our children are our future. I've seen so many sick kids over the last few months and it breaks my heart. These facilities are focussed on health but also on all the needs of children. They don't forget about important aspects like play. Our donations help them buy important equipment, but also help with things like playrooms, toys, etc. I encourage everyone to consider donating to their local children's hospitals when they decide on their annual charitable donations. Thanks again!!!! xoxox

Thanks to everyone else for your continued kind words, thoughs and prayers.

Hi Shawna,

The telethon weekend has just been held. It was the 40th anniversary and the organisers hoped to get a record amount of $4 million. Thanks to 3 massive donations from the state and federal governments and the owner of the tv station totalling $2.6 million dollars they smashed that amount and ended with over $6.5 million. That is a lot of money towards childhood research and facilities.

As promised I made a donation as a tribute to Lucas and his brave battle.

Aly

Edited by Feathers
spelling
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Aly, all donations to children's hospitals and in particular to research are so important and appreciated by those of us with sick children!!!!!

I don't visit the forum much these days. It is hard now that I don't have my budgies. It makes me miss them so.

I do want to update about Lucas. He just had his second MRI post surgery yesterday and the result is clear - no tumour regrowth. We are thrilled. He is about to start his 4th of 9 rounds of chemo. His third round was the toughest with him getting sick, losing his hair again, having extremely low bloodcounts, and ending up in hospital for febrile neutropenia. He was in almost a week and had to have a blood transfusion and IV antibiotics. But our little trooper rebounded. I hope you guys and all of the feathered friends I came to care about during my days on the forum are well.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good to hear from you and excellent news about Lucas :D

Thank you for stopping in Shawna I think of you often. I am so glad Lucas' test are clear and he is such a brave boy. We certainly can all take a lesson in bravery from him. :D

• Member ID:  2,008
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

I had been away from the forum for a while, and have just read up on you and your Lucas... what an amazing story, and how incredible a son is Lucas!?

My fiance had a thalamic and pituitary brain tumor when he was eleven and so I have heard from him and his family what it was like going through the whole process you are right in the middle of. He was fairly lucky sixteen years ago, because much of the treatment he received was relativley new, but compared with what is available today in terms of paediatric medicine, relatively limited.

He had surgery, which has left him with an ear-to-ear scar across the top of his head, and radiation therapy, which left him without any hair on the sides of his head, just above the ears. Having seen the cast he had for his therapy, I am surprised you hadn't commented on just how freaky it is to see your own son in it... I found Dave's freaky to look at, and it doesn't even resemble him all that much anymore! None-the-less, it is so small which really made me consider how incredibly resilient kids are... all the best to you and your family, and let Lucas know that there is a 27 year old bloke in Oz who survived his brain tumor and is loving life!

Love and prayers

Oh Shawna I am so glad you could stop by and let us know how you and Lucas are.I always think of you and hope that all is going well and sounds like great news.Lucas is an amazing boy but he also has an amazing mother,and family around him to give him strength.

l'm so glad that you dropped by to update us on Lucas. it is good to hear that he is doing great :)

• 2 months later...

Hello Budgie Friends,

It's been awhile since I've updated. I've peeked in a few times to see what is happening but don't have much time to spend here. I still find it hard missing my budgies. It was roughly two years ago that I got Sylvester and Tweety and my obsession with them started. Tweety is still doing great at mom's.

Lucas just completed his 5th of 9 rounds of chemo. Only 4 to go and he is doing very well. We've had some bumps along the way but he is tolerating it all and is still able to go to school some. He has some hearing and kidney damage from the cisplatin, but they reduced the chemo 50% with the last round so we are hoping that they kidneys will bounce back some. The hearing damage is permanant but it is still in the high registers and we are hoping that there won't be much more. Most kids on this treatment protocol do end up with hearing aids though. We've only had one hospital stay outside of treatment stays which was for an infection. He seems to react strongly to the chemo drug cyclophosphimide with rapid blood count drops. He gets that one next round.

He still continues to get headaches which will always cause me great anxiety as that was the first sympton that alerted us to the tumour. So far they don't have an explanation for them. His two MRIs to date have been clear. He has another scheduled for March. He continues to have balance issues, particularly after he gets vincristine (another chemo). He minds the cold, is sensitive to noise, doesn't have much of an appetite so continues to need nightime tube feeds to maintain his weight.

Thanks everyone for the prayers and positive thoughts along the way. CasperRose- thank you for sharing your fiance's story. It gives me hope to hear of long-time survivors.

Take care everyone!

Edited by Shawna

Shawan it is wonderful to hear from you and the update. We miss you very much on the boards. I have thought of you often and Lucas too wondering how things were going. Give Lucas a hug from us here in the US and know that we will continue to root for him. BIG virtual mommy hug to you as I know there are days you are the one that needs the hugging as well. Keep in touch...:rip:

I'm so glad you got time to update,thank you as like Elly and I'm sure many more you and Lucas often enter my thoughts.Glad to hear eveything is going good,its a pity about the hearing loss but I'm sure Lucas will take it all in his stride.Always sending you positive thoughts and now sending you ((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))).

l'm so glad that you made this update. l have been thinking of your family situation and was hoping that Lucas was doing okay.

l have also been missing you on this forum but l understand your situation and what you are going through. l send you and your family my thoughts and prayers.