• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  231
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,355
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1972

Hi there

I would like to afford a breeder a great opportunity of selling me some birds. The breeder will go down in budgerigar folklore. Hopefully it will go something like this...

1. Breeder sells me some reasonable birds from a quality line

2. Firstly I win Diplomas, then place and eventually win some shield classes with birds bred from this line

3. I win multiple National classes

4. My birds become famous

5. I write a book crediting breeder (insert name here) with supplying my original stock which kickstarted my journey to budgerigar superstardom.....

:rolleyes:

On a serious note, I am re-entering the hobby after a lay off and am having difficulty sourcing quality birds in my area. I would consider buying off any class of breeder who is on the right track. I am happy to pay between 50-100ish for stock birds and will pay good $ for a couple of good, well bred cocks.

I have no preference for variety and if you happen to have Danish, Fallows, lacewings, redeyes etc and they are good I would consider buying them. Predominantly I am after the main varieties though. I am keen to get a good relationship with someone as I will bring in another good line of birds which may help the supplier down the track. Once established I will only outcross with quality birds.

If your birds have good lines, size and type or have good feather and depth of mask then I would be interested. I am ultimately after approx 4 pairs from 2 different breeders. I am more than happy to purchase via photos and have birds transported. If you have an exceptional cock on Gazzard, Chidel, George, Kakoschke lines or another quality line that you have finished with I would consider that too.

Would also love to do a few aviary visits, so if you are in the Geelong or west/nth melb area and you are in the mood to have a 39 year old bald bloke over for a cuppa and a chat and maybe a couple of kids then drop me a PM.

Also after some local (geelong, melbourne) nestboxes.

Please PM me and we can exchange details. If you know of someone who may have good birds for salse please feel free to get them to contact me here or PM me a name and number or email address or I can forward my details.

cheers

fordmob

Edited by fordmob

• Member ID:  6,337
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  507
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,360
  • Birthday:  22/09/1995

Sounds like youve got it all planned out.

• Member ID:  6,842
  • Topic Count:  11

Sounds like youve got it all planned out.

I am sure it will all go exactly to plan....

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

You should of came to the Bendigo Auction yesterday, there were some good birds at affordable price. There were even some

Kakoschke blood that other good breeders had bred.

You have some good breeders in Geelong, you should contact them, what about Geoff Tonkin

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

hey lol thats my plan (DREAM )you can have your book though ha ha ha

only mine plan started like

1. Breeder i chose helps me out by selling me some lesser culls from his /her quality line

2. Firstly I win a few cheese and fruit platters :) then place in the top ten at shields win a shield class and then bird be chosen for state team

3. I win its class at Nationals

4. My birds become known as good stock birds, i sell some, buy in a fantastic out cross and start popping out pre potent birds and start winning on the benches more and more my eye becoming more trained year by year

making my birds sort after then i upgrade my aviary with the sales of my birds and my birds love me even more and produce well for me and my dream has been achieved

you can right the book i only want to make it for me -_- not to be famous :)

and im sure if you truly want all that even though i read a hint of if only

im positive it will be achieved i know i will achieve it only will be some time yet

but will happen maybe not the national bit but having birds not only i appreciate the value of but others can also appreciate the time Ive put into working with them to achieve an overall look in my complete stud some many years off as i said but i got at least 50 or 60 years left in me im thinking

splat Geoff is exactly whom i was going to mention he go see

lovely man and great birds well i think the club their would be more than helpful i should think

Edited by GenericBlue

Thanks Gb, Geoff had a lovely dom pied at the Bendigo Auction yesterday, It was huge huge with huge shoulders I went after it but was out bidded as usual.lol.

You should of came to the Bendigo Auction yesterday, there were some good birds at affordable price. There were even some

Kakoschke blood that other good breeders had bred.

You have some good breeders in Geelong, you should contact them, what about Geoff Tonkin

Thanks Splat. I know Geoff pretty well, he's a ripper young fella and he actually bought a bird at the auction for me as I couldnt get there. Geoff has been good enough to supply some birds to me as well. I know all of the breeders here in Geelong and have checked them out. Geoff's birds are in demand these days and he only sells through auction. Plus he needs to fill his 80 odd breeding cages!!

It's just a personal preference but I would rather not buy stock birds via auction. It's too hard to get the related lines that I am after in any decent quantity. I do buy the good cock birds from auction. When I do that I run them over 3 or 4 hens in a season and either AI or use fosters.

I do have another country breeder who has good stuff who I am going to check out soon.

My first aim is to try and have 5 good and 10 solid hens to breed with next year and buy 2 or 3 top line cocks at auction.

hey lol thats my plan (DREAM )you can have your book though ha ha ha

only mine plan started like

1. Breeder i chose helps me out by selling me some lesser culls from his /her quality line

2. Firstly I win a few cheese and fruit platters :) then place in the top ten at shields win a shield class and then bird be chosen for state team

3. I win its class at Nationals

4. My birds become known as good stock birds, i sell some, buy in a fantastic out cross and start popping out pre potent birds and start winning on the benches more and more my eye becoming more trained year by year

making my birds sort after then i upgrade my aviary with the sales of my birds and my birds love me even more and produce well for me and my dream has been achieved

Yeah you'll do all that I reckon. Just make sure you show in a different class to me.

Edited by fordmob

lol thanks fordmob im half their

i won the cheese n fruit platters and got few place in the two shield selections in the top ten this year (ubc and young birds )still have to try out the adult and as for the nats well thats quiet a way off for me yet :)

however if i show in the same classes as you ............its no big if i don't win just another challenge to have to take on and since your going to be buying into the big lines well im guessing it wont be a hard challenge on your behalf to beat me but thats fine because part of the joy for me is actually shaking the hand of someone whom deserves a win its good to see that smile on someones face when they come first place and if im the one coming second to that then i still win :)

hope to see you around the shows be nice to meet you put a face to the name

Yes thats the problem hey Gb, the beginners with deep pockets and buying the best. and us with empty ones buying their culls and doing the hard yard. I actually get more satisfaction breeding top birds from my $25.00, that get 1st or 3rd and having most of my birds place in the top 10 at the shields and get on the National Team. and this year my by bird won Grand Champion so to that is the best to me.

• Member ID:  6,658
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  01/03/1953

GB you can sp[end a lot of $$$ on name breeder birds but thats no guarantee that they are going to breed anything any good. .......You cannot buy an eye for birds.......Do you treat it as a hobby theres being competative and then theres going over the top .........Fordmob wish you well in your endeavours.......Cheers TAZ D

i won the cheese n fruit platters and got few place in the two shield selections in the top ten this year (ubc and young birds )still have to try out the adult and as for the nats well thats quiet a way off for me yet :)

however if i show in the same classes as you ............its no big if i don't win just another challenge to have to take on and since your going to be buying into the big lines well im guessing it wont be a hard challenge on your behalf to beat me but thats fine because part of the joy for me is actually shaking the hand of someone whom deserves a win its good to see that smile on someones face when they come first place and if im the one coming second to that then i still win :)

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

I will put in a good word for you tonight Dan.

at the committee meeting.Pud has a couple of good

unbroken caps at the moment,had a look at them

yesterday.

GB you can sp[end a lot of $$ on name breeder birds but thats no guarantee that they are going to breed anything any good. .......You cannot buy an eye for birds.......Do you treat it as a hobby theres being competative and then theres going over the top .........Fordmob wish you well in your endeavours.......Cheers TAZ D

Thanks Taz

When I first started out I didn't buy a bird for over $50 except for one hen which I paid $200 at an auction. She never laid an egg:angry:

The best bird that ended up being the foundation of my line was a 3 year old cock that was given to me. So I agree that you need to buy smart and spending loads of cash is no guarantee in itself. You gotta have a plan I reckon.

You have to be a realist though and breeders put a lot of effort into thier birds and can't be expected to give stuff away. $50 for something that can be used is more than reasonable.

GB you can sp[end a lot of $$$ on name breeder birds but thats no guarantee that they are going to breed anything any good. .......You cannot buy an eye for birds.......Do you treat it as a hobby theres being competative and then theres going over the top .........Fordmob wish you well in your endeavours.......Cheers TAZ D

i never spend much on birds the most ive spent on one bird was 250.00 and i gave it away before i even breed as i realized realistically i would of had to put it over every hen in my shed to even achieve anything worth while out of the poor bugger so i moved him on to someone with that bloodline right through out their stud i hope hes helped them out so however im extremely blessed also with being helped majorly by quiet a few breeders (in and out of state) their whom i truly do appreciate what they have done and do for me :) im lucky to have them to ask or turn to if i need support and few people in my club are very suportive of me also it does truly make the hard yards seem easier hearing their story's and advice ..... i am a bit picky and im still learning what a show bird needs but at same time im breeding to a look i like

its a hobby to me Taz not a competitive person myself more like the socialization side of it minus a few whom wouldn't know what that meant and as you said are competitive beyond normal bordering on compulsive cock heads but you get that type everywhere

if i ever make it anywhere with my birds it will be the long slow hall and im completely happy with that yes be nice to get up their but its not a need just a passing thought here n their really their are alot of breeders with great birds at very resonable prices its a matter of asking really

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Yes thats the problem hey Gb, the beginners with deep pockets and buying the best. and us with empty ones buying their culls and doing the hard yard. I actually get more satisfaction breeding top birds from my $25.00, that get 1st or 3rd and having most of my birds place in the top 10 at the shields and get on the National Team. and this year my by bird won Grand Champion so to that is the best to me.

Splat the problem is that you can buy the best birds in Australia but unless you have an eye for pairing it will all come to nothing.

i've seen it before.

I know that is true Daz, I have seen it too. But I have seen beginners spend huge amounts and before you know it Champion breeder but as you say they have the eye for it.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Usually though you buy the best bird in Australia for extravagant $ and then it doesn't breed anyway - probably why it was for sale in the first place!

Usually though you buy the best bird in Australia for extravagant $ and then it doesn't breed anyway - probably why it was for sale in the first place!

And the one who buys the ugly sister breeds the good ones.

So true

• 2 weeks later...

Was very lucky today to be reffered to a local guy who was selling out. Bought 22 birds on Henry George and Gary Armstrong lines. I am extremely happy with what I got. Thanks to those who have taken an interest and sent messages etc. I now have 16 breeding cages which will be filled with what I have soon.

If anyone in the Geelong area needs show cages or breeding cages, drop me a message and I will pass on his number.

I have also picked some birds from a very accomplished forum member to whom I am very grateful and another local breeder.

I now breed spangles, dom pieds, lutinos and fallows and the usual normals, opalines and cinnamons. I also have some ripper dark greens and cobalts. Looking forward to getting things underway.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Well done !!

Well done !!

Thanks Kaz, looking forward to getting my ring on a few.

That's great news.

im glad to see you found help mate good help by sounds :) good luck breeding

see you on the benches

Edited by GenericBlue

I'll put some photos up tonight. I'm pretty happy with myself.

great love to see them