• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Well as if we didn't already know today's Weather report confirmed that we are facing an El Nino year so limited rain is forecast this summer and the temperatures a forecast to hit record highs .... :P

So how did you Victorian and Souith Australian budgie lovers do today?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,074
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,415

The ceiling fan is on so "Eagle" is cage bound, and he doesn't dig it...He *%#$@* hates it

• Member ID:  3,445
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

Charley who usually come to the office with me and home at the end of the day is now staying in the office overnight, except for weekends (I couldnt part with him for a whole weekend!).

In the office (where he's happy as he's there every day!). . he is at least in a consistently cool climate.. today in Woomera we're expecting 39 degrees again, gradually going up to 43 by Saturday. Evenings are "quiet" here without him but at least I know he's comfortable..and when I walk into the office he's chatting away merrily, but his little feathered face DOES light up when he sees me again!

Friday afternoon will again be too hot to take him home (at 4pm, expecting 42 degrees) so I'll probably make an extra trip on Saturday morning when its relatively cool, to bring him home for the weekend.

How do you all cope who have "outside" aviaries???

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Here it has been above 37 since Sunday, and it was 40 yesterday and creeping up to 42 by Friday and maintaining the heat until Monday where it will be a cool 32.

Because birds dont sweat like we do, fans and evaporative air conditioners are of little value. My birds get hot, and i just leave them alone. they have large dishes of water on the floor of the flights, so they can sit around it and bathe in it if they want to.

In the bird room i have it completely open and shade sail over as much of it i can. I have a small fan on to ensure the air keeps moving, but have to be careful with a fan as it can have a fan forced oven effect, actually making them hotter!! I have all the cabinets on the floor and no more than 2 high. Each cabinet has an open dish of water and i leave the nest box doors ajar for added air flow for the chicks...

Other than that i do nothing but keep an eye on them. Check water levels and make sure they always have lots of fresh water. I try to ensure they are not disturbed in the hottest parts of the day and when on the ground.

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  4,745
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  618
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,920
  • Birthday:  06/11/1994

wow sounds reaaly hot! i guess us melbourne people are lucky so far no EXTREME hot days as yet. x x Elise x x

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Water filled air coolers are great for any birdrooms. Others have used them up to the aviaries and the birds flock around them.

My new flights will need shade sails over top I expect almost as soon as the birds go in them in a few days.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Luckily we get great afternoon shade from a monster gum tree and a geriatric peppermint tree. Not looking forward to the 40 degreeses but at the moment all is sweet and only one side of the aviary is being opened.

I do use a water cooler on the extreme days in the breeding area, it definitely makes a difference but hard if we are away all day and it runs out of water in the afternoon....... need to rig up some self filling device me thinks.....

Luckily we get great afternoon shade from a monster gum tree and a geriatric peppermint tree. Not looking forward to the 40 degreeses but at the moment all is sweet and only one side of the aviary is being opened.

I do use a water cooler on the extreme days in the breeding area, it definitely makes a difference but hard if we are away all day and it runs out of water in the afternoon....... need to rig up some self filling device me thinks.....

self filling device can consist of a garden hose in the back and dripping at exactly the right rate........Ken has this down to a fine art ;)

Edited by KAZ

So water coolers are okay? I was told that because birds don't sweat it was of no use unless it actually cooled down the room??? would love to know about this as i will try get one if they are effective ;)

So water coolers are okay? I was told that because birds don't sweat it was of no use unless it actually cooled down the room??? would love to know about this as i will try get one if they are effective ;)

The old style water coolers that many people throw away for almost nothing are GREAT :)

and they cool down the room ( breeding room, birdroom ) ...........and Rob Dunstan used to just set his up outside the flight pointing in and the birds used to flock to the front of it to keep cool.

On really hot days I also put icecubes in the drinkers.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Yesterday I had the sprinkler on the roof of the aviary as they were all on the ground in no time they were up chirping away. Then I put the sprinkler on the lawn and just let it hit the frony of each aviary wnere there is no seed and you should of seem them sooo funny they were lying it wings spread out rolling on their backs cute and gee it made the all happy.

Warning about ice cubes yes it'a alright to use them but fresh water is better as yesterday I put the icecubes in the water bottle in the breeding room and the water was really hot before hand. But then it was cold and Greg said going from hot water well very warm to cold water can give them a stomache just like us of we were over heating and the birds being small could kill them.

Well you should of seen me rush out and take there water away and replace it with normal tap water. ;)

I want to make a sail for above my aviary does any one on here no how to and do you make it how much smaller than you want so it streches out to be tight and what airflow of shade mesh should one buy as I think you can purchase 25%, 50% and 75%

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

well im preparing

so far i have floored the aviry with sand then i placed clay pave bricks

on the floor

this good for three reasons

one they are cool and don't heat up they stay cool

two as they make good beak grinders

three their very easy to hose down and suck up any water spilage

i have moved the aviary to its rightful north facing position

and i have got dad building shade cloth swinging barn style doors so i can open at night and close in heat of day its 5o percent i think

i also made a little recycle watering wall with a everyday water fountain for pound and a medium size tub some garden hows stuff the watering stuff with the spray things

a peace of perspex and some black ties

it runs all day and off at 6 or 5 pm

i also like liv leave the birds alone

as i know for fact they can deal with extream heat

this is not to say i would allow them to have to but just know as of the black saturday fires

my birds were in aviry got to almost 60 in their

they had no water for a whole day and night as the fire just took all moister

i expected them dead as did my brother when we could actually leave the house to check

but they were all on floor pantting heads off like i never seen but alive

we gave water dishes all over floor flat like liv

i think thats what saved them

the evaporation of the water who really knows but thety were very thirsty belive me

so i dont do ice anymore but i do put water in bottles frozzen wrapped in a tea towel birds love to lean on it

also dads shade clothing right above aviry and im placeing another light weight pull down blind their

i have a evapritive cooler on hand if needed and i made these wire mess doors for chicks to get nest air flow in day

thats it so far birds been very good so far ,...

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

The sounds great Gb but becareful of the shade as my breeding room I took off some of windows and replaced half with shade mesh and there was hardly any air coming in so I took off the bottem half of the shade mesh too. I couldn't believe how much air was restricted because of the shade mesh.

I don't bother my birds either on these really hot days but I do put the sprinker on top of the aviary and put big round planter bottoms in the aviary for a dip for them and also put the sprinkler on softly so they can have a dunk too.

Edited by splat

Greg said going from hot water well very warm to cold water can give them a stomache just like us of we were over heating and the birds being small could kill them.Well you should of seen me rush out and take there water away and replace it with normal tap water. ;)
This has not been my experience at all. One icecube in a drinker with the balance water creates just the right kind of cool water for birds. Dave McMinn was over here once and on a really hot day and was putting the icecubes in my drinkers for me and I am certain there was no ill effects. Quite the reverse...the birds drank more often, rather than rarely drinking warm water. No deaths, no tummy aches, no sickness.
I want to make a sail for above my aviary does any one on here no how to and do you make it how much smaller than you want so it streches out to be tight and what airflow of shade mesh should one buy as I think you can purchase 25%, 50% and 75%
Some ready made shade sails may be suitable for your purposes...do a measure up and see whats available at bunnings or similar. Airflow gap is suggested minimum 6 inches to 12 inches ( 150 to 300 mm ) :) Edited by KAZ

This has not been my experience at all. One icecube in a drinker with the balance water creates just the right kind of cool water for birds. Dave McMinn was over here once and on a really hot day and was putting the icecubes in my drinkers for me and I am certain there was no ill effects. Quite the reverse...the birds drank morte often, rather than rarely drinking warm water. No deaths, no tummy aches, no sickness.

I have to agree. I dont give ice in the water, but i do give refrigerated and frozen food sometimes with no issues at all ;)

Ice water.

Freeze fresh clean water in shallow icecream dishes overnight, and put in middle of cage to melt in morning.

Slowly melts during day and provides cool water to drink and swim in by the hottest part of the day.

In addition to normal drinking water. Then they have options.

Edited by DrNat

The sounds great Gb but becareful of the shade as my breeding room I took off some of windows and replaced half with shade mesh and there was hardly any air coming in so I took off the bottem half of the shade mesh too. I couldn't believe how much air was restricted because of the shade mesh.

I don't bother my birds either on these really hot days but I do put the sprinker on top of the aviary and put big round planter bottoms in the aviary for a dip for them and also put the sprinkler on softly so they can have a dunk too.

thanks mate but my aviary is well ventilated and im yet to put one thoughs :blink: things dave got lol -_-

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Just seen on the online news that SA is facing a Catastrophic Fire Risk tomorrow ...

to quote:

South Australia is bracing for catastrophic bushfire conditions ahead of more extreme heat on Wednesday.

Temperatures throughout the state are predicted to reach the low 40s in some areas, with Adelaide forecast to have a top of 39C.

Similar conditions will follow on Thursday, with Adelaide's maximum expected to reach 41C.

The forecast prompted authorities to issue a bushfire warning of "catastrophic" conditions in the Flinders and north-western pastoral districts - the first time the term has been used.

New bushfire advice systems have been adopted for this summer, with "catastrophic" rated above "extreme" and "severe".

The catastrophic category rates the risk as similar to those conditions prevalent on Victoria's Black Saturday bushfires last year.

Just want all you South Australians to know that I am thinking of you and wishing lots of Luck in surviving the forecast weather.

B) especially for you Liv.

Thanks Renee,

I am not happy at all about the weather at the moment. This morning was a chilly 10 degrees and the birds were shaking in their pantaloons! Tomorrow will be 41 and Thursday will be 43!!!!!!!! Am bracing the birds as best i can. There really is not much else i can do without an A/c - everywhere is sold out B)

mmm let me make more of these :) they are cooling just looking at them :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: for you liv

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Ice water.

Freeze fresh clean water in shallow icecream dishes overnight, and put in middle of cage to melt in morning.

Slowly melts during day and provides cool water to drink and swim in by the hottest part of the day.

In addition to normal drinking water. Then they have options.

GREAT idea DrNat!!! will be doing this!!

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud:

:raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: :raincloud: for you liv

:raincloud: :raincloud:

Thanks so much GB

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

The hot weather kaz was talking about was January this year. It was hot in Sydney and hot in Perth. Not my fault, I did not bring the bad weather.

I did put ice cubes in the drinkers, as Kaz was saying. It was necessary, and the birds loved it. No illness resulted, and I am sure it save some lives.

We have some really hot days coming up here. I have half filled some 2 litre ice cream containers and put them in the freezer. I am going to put them in some hanging water containers with one hanging, and the other on the ground. I am going to put tap water in each, plus a block of ice in each, that will melt throughout the day, but also keep the water cool.

There really is not much else i can do without an A/c - everywhere is sold out :raincloud:

and most trade newspapers, and ebay and secondhand shops sell those old style bonaire water coolers for almost nothing. Heck, people even throw them away or have them sitting doing nothing in the sheds.....I get them from roadside throwouts for free ....ask around..........get a couple and get them up and running.

• Member ID:  5,734
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  15
  • Birthday:  03/03/1978

Hello all, just some extra food for thought if you think it is achievable and helpful to your situation for our hot climate.

TSR ( Total Solar Reflectivity)google for more info), what color are the top's of your aviarys and bird rooms, a good quality white paint can reflect up to as much as 65% of the suns radiation, in comparison, black can make it up to 100 deg c hotter :( . There are also now a wide variety of Paint colors and products on the market for these types of situations.

Depending on your local council you might have to check against what colors can and can't be used though.

I'll try and give this a go on RIP's setup when she gets her heap in a pile(I'm her son by the way, been about 10 years out of the fancy, might be returning to a station near you), if it's achievable or if she lets me :) .

My hands on experince so far with this came from my lawnmowing trailer, my roof was mostly rusty and bare, 36+ deg days were unbearable, and having my whipper snippers located near the roof, after a few jobs they couldn't cool down enough and it was a real headache to start them there after for the rest of the day, trying to touch the roof was like cooking a good rare steak, I've since painted the area's above the motors, not only do they run more effective, but I can actaully rest a hand on these spots on very hot days.

And if you want to get really green about it, you can attend local workshops like the ones great gardens(plus other groups) do for local communitys and learn about energy effiency for not just your birds but also your home. Big messy decidous trees are awesome for this, provide plenty of shade in summer, prune them well enough to keep your air flow, leaves are gone for winter to provide the warmth that's wanted then. Don't stress about the leaves, your compost heap will love it for those home grown greens for your birds.

Almost a 2c rant in the end, guess it's in the genes.