• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I'm currently trying to make a tricky decision. My 14 year old brother, Tim, has decided that he wants his own budgie, one of my babies to be precise. Mum and dad don't seem to have any major objections and neither to i really, just little worries.

We all know that i have LOTS of pets, mostly birds, a fish and my dog. So why would we want another pet in the house? Well Tim has NEVER had his own pet, i've never really thought about how that must feel for him, seeing me have budgies, tiels, a dog, fish, mice, etc and him not having a single pet to call his own. He does really love animals so i think he would care for any pet he gets.

If he was to get one of my babies this would only happen if i could tell 100% that the baby he was getting was a MALE. I absolutely never want a female budgie in the house because of how mental it turns Blinkie, it totally ruins the friendship between Blinkie and Ozzie. So that's condition number one and one that i could easily meet, i don't usually have problems telling the gender of young budgies and even if i did i'm sure you guys could help, hehe.

This budgie of Tim's would, at least initially live in Tim's room in Blinkie's old cage which is fine for one budgie. This budgie would get lots of time out, same as all my other indoor birdlets. I've told Tim that a bird in his room means that he can't spray his deoderant in his room and that he wouldn't be able to paint things or use stinky glue in his room (something he does from time to time). He seems to think that will be fine so don't think that will be a problem. Still that's one of my little worries.

I've told him that his budgie would need to be on a good diet (same as my birds) and that would mean giving it veggies every day. While he commented that i could chop those up (his logic is that i do it anyway) he said he'd be happy to do that too. I have to remember last year when i left my birds in his care the aviary ones weren't given the pre-chopped veggies that i had left, this is another of my worries.

I also told Tim that budgies can live into their teens and what about when he wants to move out. At this stage his answer was that he could take a bird with him. I brought up the worry that what about when he's 16 or 17 and maybe loses interest? He doesn't think that will happen but i'm not sure. He's a normal person (not like anti-social, animal obsessed me) and i don't see why he might not grow out of wanting a budgie. What if he decides it's a bit of a wussy pet to have in his room when his girlfriend comes over, (Laughing out loud).

At the back of my mind i'm a bit worried that i'll end up with another budgie, (Laughing out loud). Whether it's just that Tim's would end up moving in with Blinkie and Ozzie or that i would have to completely take over it's care i'm not 100% sure i want a 3rd budgie inside that i'm totally responsible for (i don't mind just helping Tim). I guess i'd worry the balance i have with my 4 current "pet" birds would be upset. Realistically it probably wouldn't cause any great trouble but it's still a worry.

Of course i would make sure i have unlimited visitation rights to Tim's room to see the baby, (Laughing out loud), and that i could play with it when i wanted to. There would be no "it's mine and you can't touch it" happening because if that is his plans he's not getting one of my babies, hehe. He seems truly excited at the idea of a pet of his own. I think that he'd appreciate the chance. He really really wants a dog and has for ages but knows that won't happen while he's at home. He's always asking for things like mice, fish, etc, small pets that he could keep in his room with little annoyance to mum but so far hasn't got anything. I'm thinking it would be nice for him...i just need to figuire out how i feel about it.

I'd really appreciate other peoples thoughts on the situation, a little help sorting through my thoughts would be great, (Laughing out loud)!

Guest Sco-tie

i think it would be a great idea for your brother to have a pet bird. because think of it this way, with your guidence and our extra help there is no way he could go wrong, and it would be better he learn now and get it right than to move out and then get a bird and do nothing with it, by having it with you there you can kick him into gear if he slows down a bit. also if he grows up to have kids then he could teach them the right way. i find its also a great thing to help with study and rough times to have an animal in your room.

in the end its your and his decision if your think its right then go for it.

thanks,

Sco-tie

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

I just did the same thing for my brother. I gave him one of my baby budgies and he really loves it. He has never had his own pet too. Everything is going well.

I think Tim would look after his budgie better than he did with your avairy budgies, because this budgie would be HIS. :)

Even if he doesn't want it any more, it could go with your avairy budgies. :(

And you can keep an eye on it.

I think you should give him one. He showed how good he was with Bailee. :)

• Member ID:  860

He showed how good he was with Bailee. :)

I think this may have kick started his interest in wanting a bird. If i had let him Bailee never would've left his room, (Laughing out loud). I'm starting to think it's a good idea. I won't say yes or no to him till i'm sure otherwise he might get excited and then think i'm a cow for changing my mind.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Haha (Laughing out loud). What ever you decide, you know you are doing it with the best intentions and concern for all involved. :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I think it would be great if he got to have his own pet budgie. As you have had all the pets you wanted and first before he has, it seems only fair he be given a chance to show how good a pet owner he can be. With your experience and guidance he is off to a good start. If it doesn't work out, you haven't really lost anything just gained another budgie. It must be hard for him wanting a pet and seeing you get the pets you wanted and he hasn't YET. I say...go for it :)

Edited by Bubbles

• Member ID:  2,952
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

Hi Bea,I think you should give your brother a chance.Just remember how Blinkie helped to get you through tough times.Your brother being the age he is may need someone/thing to get him through his tough times.A pet that he can call his own will make a world of difference to his self esteem.I agree with bubbles too, you wont be losing anything at all,maybe just gaining a budgie.Plus he will tell everyone he has the best sister in the whole world!!!!

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

I think i will. Someone also pointed out that if it doesn't work it would be no major drama to socialize it with Blink and Oz to get it used to being in a flock and then popping it out in the aviary. :)

• Member ID:  2,551
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  910
  • Birthday:  07/11/1991

I think it would be a really good experiance for Tim whether it works out or not because pets are one of the biggest responsibilities there is. So it would be good for Tim to start tesing his personal level of comitment. If it doesn't work out then like the others said you won't be any worse off, but when saying that I don't think that should be an option presented to your brother because he should not get the idea that he can just dump his problems on somebody else. ( I doubt your brother is like this, but it's proably best if he learns to stick stuff out)

Also if you end up saying yes then before you tell him maybe just get him to do some things for your birds like "hey, could you just clean out that cage for me" and stuff like that. Then you will get a better idea of if this is something he really wants.

Sorry for babbling so much!

:)

Carri

Also if you end up saying yes then before you tell him maybe just get him to do some things for your birds like "hey, could you just clean out that cage for me" and stuff like that. Then you will get a better idea of if this is something he really wants.

That's a pretty good idea!! I'm also thinking of charging him $10 or something if he does get one of my budgies so he doesn't just see this as an easy chance to get a free pet.

That's a pretty good idea!! I'm also thinking of charging him $10 or something if he does get one of my budgies so he doesn't just see this as an easy chance to get a free pet.

i think that is a very stupid idea to charge your poor brother for a bird that hasn't cost you anything yet.

i think that is a very stupid idea to charge your poor brother for a bird that hasn't cost you anything yet.

Well just think, if i were selling to an outsider i'd be charging $20+ so you're getting a family discount. Don't forget you'll most likely be using MY spare cage so just think how much you don't have to spend on a cage. :)

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Bea, I think it would be great for Tim. This is a kid who you had to 'talk into' letting him have a quarantined bird in his room. Next thing we know he is absolutely loving Bailee and has him on his shoulder. It's about time he had some responsibility for another living being.

Tim, that is where you are wrong. Bea has had to supply the food that the babies eat that they in turn feed to the babies. It has also cost Bea time in caring for the nesting parents, and now the growing family. I am not saying whether you should or shouldn't pay, but you need to realise that there is more cost to an animal than just feeding it :)

Feathers.

• Member ID:  2,995
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,475

I think giving (or selling) your brother a bird of his own is a great idea! Many people have already said lots of positive things about it, with which I totally agree. Here are a few thoughts I've had that I don't think people have mentioned yet.

As far as your worry about him growing out of it, or not wanting it when he's a bit older, don't forget the bond that he's going to be creating. While the idea of a nameless faceless budgie might not seem like a cool thing for a 17 year old guy, one that he has raised and bonded with very well could be harder to push away and give up.

Could you make some kind of agreement with your mum to help keep your brother accountable for caring for his bird? Like if you see he's slipping on some aspects, she'll back you up in getting him to do it, so it doesn't turn into a sibling fight.

Having him pay you a small amount is a good idea because like its been mentioned on other threads, budgies aren't just throw away pets that are worth nothing (get a free bird with purchase of a cage). If he pays you, he'll feel like he has more responsibility for the bird. He's put something into it, so he might be more likely to take good care of it.

Good luck and have fun! It sounds like a really exciting adventure.