• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1982

Hi Everyone,

I recently posted a question about a young budgie at a store that has yet to learn how to perch (link: http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/lofive...hp/t16732.html)

After not being able to stop thinking about her & after a couple of discussions with the staff at the store, I have decided to adopt her, and will be bringing her home tomorrow.

From what I can tell & what was discovered from the wholesaler, she was an "accidental grab" & so although she is weaned, she's too young to perch properly & tends to fall off round perches.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I can do to help her out around the cage. I had a special needs budgie (who, very sadly passed away a year ago :rip:) so I was going to follow the format I originally had set up for her cage with a raised platform & a softer section, but was curious to see if there were any other ideas that I possibly hadn't/haven't thought of?

Thanks for any input :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Do you have any photos of her ? I wonder about any budgie that is supposedly weaned, and cannot perch. Petshops being notorious for "story telling" to get a sale. I seriously wonder about her age and if indeed she really IS eating properly. All my babies can perch from 4 weeks of age....so the fact your little one cannot is a worry :rip:

• Member ID:  868
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26

I will have photos by Saturday (when I pick her up). I too have wondered about what they have said however I've examined her myself (certainly I'm no vet!), but she doesn't seem to have any outward physical ailment & her legs are not splayed. She allows you to handle her 100% as well, does not bite at all, which I don't think she would allow to happen so easily if she had some sort of injury.

In terms of the petshop making something up to get a sale, they're not getting any money out of this, I'm adopting her for free. They certainly could have held on to her to sell her to someone else - she is quite pretty, and I'm certain someone who doesn't know much about budgies would have easily purchased her.

I will put up pictures as soon as I have them, so please check back. :)

Do you have any photos of her ? I wonder about any budgie that is supposedly weaned, and cannot perch. Petshops being notorious for "story telling" to get a sale. I seriously wonder about her age and if indeed she really IS eating properly. All my babies can perch from 4 weeks of age....so the fact your little one cannot is a worry :rip:

Sounds good, and thats great you are getting her for free. When you next handle her, feel her keelbone ( chest ) and see that she has a good covering over it and not thinnish :rip:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

what a lucky budgie that you are adopting :bluebudgie:

Edited by birdluv

Kaz,

This might sounds like a clueless question, but what do you mean by "a good covering"....a covering of feathers???

She's sleeping right now (it's night time here), but she did go over & try to eat this evening which was quite promising.

I'll take pictures tomorrow. :)

Sounds good, and thats great you are getting her for free. When you next handle her, feel her keelbone ( chest ) and see that she has a good covering over it and not thinnish :D

Kaz,

This might sounds like a clueless question, but what do you mean by "a good covering"....a covering of feathers???

She's sleeping right now (it's night time here), but she did go over & try to eat this evening which was quite promising.

I'll take pictures tomorrow. :)

Sounds good, and thats great you are getting her for free. When you next handle her, feel her keelbone ( chest ) and see that she has a good covering over it and not thinnish :D

No....talking about bodyweight. Does she have padding of flesh over her keelbone indicating good health with eating ? If the keelbone is prominent it menas she either isnt eating well or has a nutritional issue :)

Kaz, I have to say that I'm not 100% sure how to tell. I did feel her keelbone & it felt alright to me, albeit maybe a bit pointy? I'm not sure though how it's supposed to feel in a baby budgie so I really don't know what that means.

I've included a few photos of her - but I didn't want to take too many in case I stressed her out too much. I also have some without flash so as to help her out a bit as well.

From observing her today, I noticed that when she tried to walk along the bottom of her cage it was somewhat like she was going to topple over forwards, which is quite odd. I've also noticed that she grasps with her right foot a lot less so I'm not too sure if there's anything I can do to help her with that.

In the chance that she hasn't been fully weaned, what can I do to help her?

100_0971.jpg

100_0970.jpg

100_0969.jpg

100_0966.jpg

100_0963.jpg

100_0960.jpg

She's a lovely little dominant pied budgie. Does look very young, and they have clipped her wings...a pity. It's nice if the babies get to learn to fly before that happens. I see what you mean about her right leg...could be her right leg is a little splayed, but at this stage nothing can be done if so as its too late. But if splayed, it doesnt look too bad. She may just have had a calcium deficiency due to poor nutrition and not having been fully parent raised, which could make her wobbly on her feet. Another thing to consider is falling over is a sign of weakness and if combined with a bony feeling keelbone, she needs some good food into her as soon as possible the best way you can. If it was me I would be topping her up with formula by crop needle, but if you have never done that before is can be daunting and risky. Have you seen her eat at all ? Try her with some soaked birdseed, with some fine chopped greens and a little grated carrot. Anything that works really and tell us some more. Best of luck. She looks like she's had a rough start. But she's HOME NOW :)

• Member ID:  2,994
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  103
  • Achievement Points:  1,080

It troubles me that a breeder would allow such a young bird with an obvious problem go to a pet shop. But I'm glad she has found a good home now. Pretty little girl. Has she got a name yet?

I agree, which is part of the reason why I wanted to bring her home. Although I'm no professional when it comes to budgies, I do know that I will at least do everything I can to make sure she is alright, healthy & happy. Sadly, I'm aware that not many people would necessarily feel the same way. :(She has two possible names: Charm or Grace, though no decision has been officially made.

It troubles me that a breeder would allow such a young bird with an obvious problem go to a pet shop. But I'm glad she has found a good home now. Pretty little girl. Has she got a name yet?
Kaz, I understand what you mean about the wing-clipping. I'll admit that I generally prefer when I bring a new bird home for it to have its' wings clipped (personal preference, I know there are different schools of thought out there about it), but in this case I really do feel as though she would be able to get around much better if she had the ability to fly & believe she would have greater balance.Thanks for the info about her possibly having a splayed right leg, it was something I considered as well today when I looked at my other budgies. And unfortunately I was afraid you would say it was too late. I've never crop fed, I would be willing to try it if it were only for the "daunting" part, but because you include "risky" that makes me quite hesitant to ask any further. She has tried to eat & I put some millet in her cage, but she hasn't touched it too much. I will try your alternate food suggestion & see if that helps any.I also noticed just now that the feathers on top of her head - around her pied spot - seem to be wet in spots?? I'm not sure if this is from drinking, but looking at her right now she seems quite fluffed up & her droppings are rather runny. Hopefully getting some good food into her will help, elsewise I may need to look into taking her to the vet....but I sincerely hope not. Being that I adopted her "for free," I'm sure I'll end up hearing a lot of flak about paying money for a vet, but my family just doesn't quite seem to get it....
She's a lovely little dominant pied budgie. Does look very young, and they have clipped her wings...a pity. It's nice if the babies get to learn to fly before that happens. I see what you mean about her right leg...could be her right leg is a little splayed, but at this stage nothing can be done if so as its too late. But if splayed, it doesnt look too bad. She may just have had a calcium deficiency due to poor nutrition and not having been fully parent raised, which could make her wobbly on her feet. Another thing to consider is falling over is a sign of weakness and if combined with a bony feeling keelbone, she needs some good food into her as soon as possible the best way you can. If it was me I would be topping her up with formula by crop needle, but if you have never done that before is can be daunting and risky. Have you seen her eat at all ? Try her with some soaked birdseed, with some fine chopped greens and a little grated carrot. Anything that works really and tell us some more. Best of luck. She looks like she's had a rough start. But she's HOME NOW :)

Runny poos in combination with a prominent chestbone may mean she hasnt had enough food

Kaz,

Thank you for the ongoing replies over the last couple of days. After not liking the signs I was seeing, I went & picked up some hand feeding formula & fed Gracie around 6pm.

Sadly, the sweet girl passed away in my hands a few minutes ago. She had several fits & although it was not my first time experiencing the loss of a bird, it was the first time I had ever seen a fit.

She deserved so much more time than what she had and the only small part that allows me solace right now is knowing that, if only for a day, I did everything I could to let her know she was cared for & loved & beautiful.

:) Gracie

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

i'm very sad for your loss of such a sweet little girl... :) i to have experienced birds fitting in my hands and it's not a pleasant experiece of about 15 birds i've ever seen do this (budgies, cockatiel's and a butcher bird) only one has ever made it through the experience and is alive and healthy in my aviary today... but generally once they fit they dont have much chance... once again sorry for your loss

R.I.P little Gracie

Very, very sad, poor little Gracie. She did look "challenged". I so sorry she had such a short time with you. I think you got her a little too late :)

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I'm sorry Gracie didn't make it. :) At least she had someone loving and helping her in the end. *hugs*

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Well done for making the effort you made with her. Fly free little Gracie with your new wings in birdie heaven.

Feathers.

Thank you, all of you, for the replies. This weekend was tough, as it was a bit hard to think of being "thankful" for life after having gone through an experience like that, but whenever I needed to I could look outside & see her resting spot in the garden. We buried her right beside one of our rose bushes & since it's been quite warm lately they're still in bloom, so it's quite a lovely spot.

• Member ID:  1,938
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,201
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,740

I'm so sorry :( . But it's nice that she didn't die in the pet shop, but in a loving home.

:rip: little girl

Edited by Zebra

• Member ID:  3,445
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,730
  • Birthday:  17/08/1948

How wonderful of you to have taken her home and made her last hours as comfortable as possible. You did all you can and what a wonderful thing you did for her!! If you hadnt taken her home things would not have been so peaceful for her. To the petshop she would have been just another bird lost, to you she was a special little friend for a short time. I applaud your efforts!!!

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

How wonderful of you to have taken her home and made her last hours as comfortable as possible. You did all you can and what a wonderful thing you did for her!! If you hadnt taken her home things would not have been so peaceful for her. To the petshop she would have been just another bird lost, to you she was a special little friend for a short time. I applaud your efforts!!!

Well said! I agree :rip: