New And Confused

Guest moorebirds

Guest moorebirds

Hi

My name's Laura and I'm new to the forum.

A bit about myself? I'm currently half way through my first ever breeding season and have found it to be very interesting along with a few surprises.

I have around 53 budgies at the moment including babies in nesting boxes and I am hoping that next year I will be entering my first ever show.

I'd like to introduce two of my favourites, Jack and Blueberry. Jack is an Opaline Aust Grey Dom. Pied/Cinnamon and he is very handsome. Blueberry is a Violet Cobalt of good size and a very good mum.

Meet Jack and Blueberry!

100_0271_323x450.jpg

The hen in the photo below has me slightly baffled, I think she may be either a mauve or a violet mauve. I originally thought she may have been a blue grey but her cheek patches are a very dark blue. Could someone advise if I'm on the right track with the mauve idea?

100_0272_450x337.jpg

Jack and Blueberry's other progeny consist of an Opaline Cinnamon Aust Grey hen, a Violet Cobalt Dom. Pied (banded) cock, a Violet Skyblue Com. Pied (varigated) cock and a Aust Yellowface (sf) Cobalt Hen (I don't know how she's shown up).

Jack and Blueberry currently have 4 chicks in the nest box ie. Opaline Cinnamon Grey Dom. Pied, Grey Dom Pied, Violet or Cobalt Dom. Pied and I think another grey (photos below).

Well, that'my introductions for now and I'll gradually introduce you, no doubt, to the rest of my extended family. I'm looking forward to being part of this forum as I've read quite a few postings and have found it to be very interesting, informative and friendly.

Bye now.

P.S. I'm open for any naming suggestions.

-------------------- :angel1:

Edited by **Liv**
removed broken images

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Welcome to the forum. Your budgies are gorgeous. I can't wait to hear more about them and see more pictures. We love pictures are here. I'm sure many names will soon come your way. And there are lots of genetics experts here too. Have fun!

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Welcome to the boards and good luck with your show entry next year. Look forward to hearing about it.

The hen looks mauve to me (which is a grey-blue colour)

As to the yellowface - did you colony breed? or close breed?

Edited by Nerwen

• Member ID:  2,561
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  3,235
  • Birthday:  29/06/1979

parrhelo.gif

Look forward to meeting more of your flock and seeing some more pictures. Welcome!!!!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Happy to have you here. Your budgies look lovely...good sizes and very healthy looking. Enjoy your time here. Look forward to more photos :lol:

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Hello and Welcome. I hope you enjoy the forum. :lol:

:D Hello and welcome to you and your beautiful budgies, great pictures! I usually love to think up names but we had a snowstorm here today and I am beat! Another time for sure! :lol:

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Hello and Welcome! I have a violet hen named Blueberry too, but she is pied. She got her name because the area between her wings is the color of a blueberry. You can see her a bit in my signature. Your birds are absolutely gorgeous. :D Jack and Blueberry look very stately together. And of course the baby pictures are adorable. :lol:

I agree with your thinking that hen is mauve. Her cheek flashes are very dark.

I can't wait to see the rest of your flock!

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Welcome aboard we look foward to getting to know you and your flock. Your babies are gorgeous & so are the parents :blush:

:wub: Names (destressing here) Buckle, Bouncy, Frannie, Linus, Leapfrog, Frogger, Quilt, Fantastic, Glider, Serendipity, Seashell, Cicely, Hoover, Huey, Coffeecup, Kiefer, Magic, Sparkle, Moonbeam, Pluto, Jupiter, Sunshine, Saffron, Flower, Daisy, Chief, Pirate, Johny, Lacey, Roquefort, Lampshade, Tippy, Tappy, Barney, Noddy, Moochie, Firefall, Giggles, Chuckles, Cute pie, Samson, Gilbert, Gulliver, Gilligan, Chartreuse, Bluejeans, Fanciful, *****, Chiclet, Colin, Killer (ha), Pebbles, Peebles, Jeeves, Jethro, Othello, Marshmallow, Ophelia, Olivia, Peasant, Quartz, Crystal, Fonzie, Ellymae, Faith, Rose, Mavis, Washtub, Chandler, Trumpet, Cavalier, and I would believe that is enough naming for one night, hope you find something you like! :P

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

:wub: Names (destressing here) Buckle, Bouncy, Frannie, Linus, Leapfrog, Frogger, Quilt, Fantastic, Glider, Serendipity, Seashell, Cicely, Hoover, Huey, Coffeecup, Kiefer, Magic, Sparkle, Moonbeam, Pluto, Jupiter, Sunshine, Saffron, Flower, Daisy, Chief, Pirate, Johny, Lacey, Roquefort, Lampshade, Tippy, Tappy, Barney, Noddy, Moochie, Firefall, Giggles, Chuckles, Cute pie, Samson, Gilbert, Gulliver, Gilligan, Chartreuse, Bluejeans, Fanciful, FAnny, Chiclet, Colin, Killer (ha), Pebbles, Peebles, Jeeves, Jethro, Othello, Marshmallow, Ophelia, Olivia, Peasant, Quartz, Crystal, Fonzie, Ellymae, Faith, Rose, Mavis, Washtub, Chandler, Trumpet, Cavalier, and I would believe that is enough naming for one night, hope you find something you like! :P

Our Phoebe is good with names. Here is some she has sent me before too.........

Parachute, Calico, Discogirl, Discoboy, Discobudgie, Simon, Simone, Ladyhawke, Hustle, Kickass (ha, some inspiration there!), Mesmerize, Chapter, Crunch, Michelina, Marthalina, Thumbelina,Cinder, Cinderella, Camelot, Arthur, Dusty, Gibbler, Fortune Cookie, Lotto, Lucas, Lorenzo, Casanova, Butterball, Mabel, Ethel, Sarah, Sally, Serge, Sarge, Mambo, Matchbox, ChopChop, Chopstick, Stirfry, Minnie, Sunflower, Dazzle, Ornament, Lucille, Lucinda, Yoyo, Tower, Condo, Chantilly, Willow, Smiley, Giggles, Dancesalot, Elephant, Perfume, Exotic, Pal, Souperduper, Clinton, Clifford, Gwyneth, Abigail, Abe, Slinky, Pilot, Astronaut, Tapdance, Ballet, Swinger, Hiphop, Jive, RockandRoll, Thundercloud, Braveheart, Artichoke, Saucy, Saucepot, Crockpot, Toast, Crumpet, Muffin, Hollandaise, Cranberry, Cucumber, Peachiekeen, Fisher, Pitstop, Cabbie, Aircare, Fantasia, Helicopter, 747, Boeing, Buttons, Snapshot, Prettyface, Loverly, Linus, Peppermint, Saffron, Cinnamon, Basil, Oregano, Paprika, Garlic (ha), Parsley, Chives, Lancelot, Tiny Tim, Citrus, Tarragon, Vanilla, Bucky, Dearest, Mackenzie, Alaska, Thyme, Sage, Daisy, Albatross, Gooeyduck, Clamshell, Oyster, Rocky, Swan, Moonbean, Celine, Classic, Crumbles, Dragonfly, Celebration, Salal, Cedar, Gladiola, Penny, Onions, Cisco, Helicopter, Jet, Glider, Gecko, Jeepers, Hathaway, Farley, Harley, Mowat, Jenson, Butter, Lemongrass, Herman or Hermanne?, Juice, Rocky or Rockey, Flintstone, Rex or Rexy, Dimple, Cuddles, Samson, Prickly, Tortoise, Flower, Chuckles, Kimber, Foxtrot, Pluto, Chowmein, Google, Gleason, Saturn, Friendly, Happy,Sully, Sally, Lucas, Georgia, Gaslight, Gus, Pilot, Astronaut, Starshine, Space Cadet (maybe just Cadet and Spacey), Lightning, Lustrous, Featherball, Exotic, Eugene, Divine, Priscilla, Randy, Songstress, Simon, Paula, Panda, Creeper, Singer, Kelly, Shania, Burton, Cummings, Mozart, Page, Paige, Buffy, Bijou, Buchanan, Stevie, Boston, Aerosmith, Barry, Robin, Turner, Bachman, April, Reginald, Oliver, Sir Humphrey, Lancelot, King Richard, Charleston, Winston, Caliber, Kangelee, Lester, Lionel, Phillipe, Sampson, Horace, Charles, Sangster, Eagle, Superduper, Majestic, Popeye, Lily, Helen, Helene, Leon,

Pirate, Commander, Trump, Regis, Ironman, Mister Mister, Frankie, Filbert, Gilligan, Jasper, Rocky, Gilbert (hey I like Gilbert), Sullivan, Prince, Sylvester, Squire, Yogi, Radio, Cupid, Buford, Sushi, Milligan, Harper, Spencer, Sam, Bert, Sammy

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

As to the question of colony breeding, no it was closed breeding, so it is a bit of a mystery. :)

There is a df yellowface (type one) that appears white face, however it should give all sf yellowface babies (showing yellowface) There is the other possibility that your hen was breeding with another before being moved into the breeding cage.

• Member ID:  3,095
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515

welcome to the forum!

your birds are beautiful, good luck with entering shows!

p.s. i LOVE culburra - have spent many a summer there!

Guest moorebirds

Thanks everyone for your welcomes and good wishes and thank you too Phoebe and Bubbles for the list of names and sure I will end up using many of them because I like the weird, wonderful and cute kind, which you've just about covered.

Hi Bethqemm, we've probably past each other in the street, as you know, because it's not very big. I love Culburra too, it's like being permantly on holidays. I used to live in Sydney.

Thanks again, more pics coming soon.

:ausb:

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Glad you liked the names as I have more! (been really stressed lately and I like to brainstorm), Starsky, Hutch, Fiddler, Brewster, Musicman, Cannonball, Topbird, Seymour, Horace, Hector, Raspberry, Blueberrie, Cherry, Muffin, Freon, Lamplight, Forsyth, Trifle, Salad, Salsa, Pasta, Vodka, Crescent, Donut, Donair, Frenchfry, Green Pepper, Angelpuss, Celebration, Decimal, Measures, Stolen Times, Gelato, Monday, Rufus, Abba, Waterloo, Digital), and that's enough for tonight................. :)

Guest moorebirds
As to the question of colony breeding, no it was closed breeding, so it is a bit of a mystery. :ausb:

There is a df yellowface (type one) that appears white face, however it should give all sf yellowface babies (showing yellowface) There is the other possibility that your hen was breeding with another before being moved into the breeding cage.

Thanks Nerwen, I think you could be right. I can remember thinking one day before I took Jack & Blueberry out that there was a threesome going on with another cock called Brocky, he's a big yellowface opaline skyblue, which would have given me a yellowface cobalt.

And thanks Phoebe for more names, I have about 20 birds needing a name at the moment so they will be a great help. :feedbirds:

• Member ID:  3,095
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515

Hi again,

i used to live in sydney too, its nice being away from the rush! Looks like you have many many names to choose from, but i can't help suggesting two names: Obe-One and Kinobe!

Guest moorebirds

Here are some pics of more of my birds.

Thanks Bethqemm and I think I'll call the 2 blue pieds Obe-one (banded) and Skywalker(varigated).

100_0290_450x337.jpg

don't be deceived, no not black budgies in the corner, they're Bourke Parots (Burke & Wills (Willamina)

Skywalker (sky) 100_0276_450x337.jpg Olivia, Nipper

Obe-One 100_0275_337x450.jpg Indigo

100_0273_450x337.jpg

:budgiedance:

Edited by moorebirds
Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Wow, look at how they all lined up for your picture! Two of my budgies were always trying to kill my Bourke and maimed her when she landed on their cage, rendering her one less toe. But I guess, if they are kept together since babyhood, it works out okay. :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi , welcome to the forums .