Possiable Scaley Face? Or Something Else

Guest BrokenDreamz

Guest BrokenDreamz

Spaz has almost what looks like something i have no clue what it is ( im extremely helpfull when it comes to details here) :(

I noticed this on Spaz's bum a while back but didnt think much of it and now it looks like he has the same thing starting on his face and his beak also looks a bit wierd too..

i know my pictures arnt to great but i could really use some help on trying to tell What this could be the only thing i could think of was scaley face but i dont know much of anything about that, it almost looks like a rash or warts or fungus or i reallllllly dont know

its not normal molting or normal beak flaking and i know whats on his butt isnt normal. ive looked the rest of him over and it seems to be fine it just looks like these two areas.

you can sort of see the spots im talking about, theres one on his eyelid, above his cere and then his beak is a bit almost what paper looks like when it gets wet and drys.

he is seperate from the other birds in his own cage but hes in the same room as the other budgies.

Should i be worried about spreading whatever this is? and do the whole move him out of that room change clothes when i see him and whole super infectious stay away thing?

Just thought id ask here before running off to the vets to pay a few hundrread and not get a straight answer

Thanks

Edited by BrokenDreamz
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phoebe
:P Oh dear BrokenDreamz, some of the shots look like scaly face (when Monty had it) but others look like something else, think Spaz needs a trip to the vet to sort this out. (If you don't like your avian vet, I can tell you who I go to, she is great). :(

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, I would say vet trip.

Guest BrokenDreamz

i think il take you up on that good vet there phoebe.

http://home.clara.net/np21/scaley.htm

Would doing that actually work?

And do i have to worry about the conures now with this as it sounds like its a kind of mite. and the other budgies? and parrotlets?

Edited by BrokenDreamz

http://www.lbah.com/avian/facemites.htm here is a link I found on it, I didn't find an article to say it was spread to other birds. I would keep them separated but I know you will have to treat all your budgies for sure. Bea had a case in her aviary.
Guest BrokenDreamz

i just dont want this to spread and have to ewnd up taking 9 different birds to the vet and then giving up my School savings for the birds. As it is right now my parents wont pay for anymore bird related things for me and i still own them 100 for Howie 260 for the conures. Im just picturing the reaction my mother will have when i tell her we need a visit to the vets its going to be something like eye rolling and Why not just look it up on the net and try and solve it that way. i just cant have all the animals catching mites or something

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:( awwww poor little Spaz... (thats the cutest name too :wub: ) Definitely keep Spaz separated from the other birds and if you are going to start treatment using the Vasaline, id probably start it right away so that Spaz doesn't have too much longer to wait just incase it doesn't work.

Just be sure to apply it neat and not get it on his feathers as it wont wash out and also around his face be sure to not get it in his eyes or his lil nasal vents, you could try applying it with a Q-tip to get a more accurate spread.

The mites are contagious and will also even burrow into wood, this is how they are mostly passed on to other birds also, So make sure you totally clean anything he has come into contact with and if it was me, just as a precaution id probably chuck out and replace any of his wooden perches/toys etc etc..

I use to have a great link on this topic but for the life of me i cant find it to share with you, although if i do find it again ill make sure i post it.. Goodluck with it all and hugs to little Spaz :D

Cheers :beer:

Una

*edit... I found a link that has a lil more information on it.. Its not a bad site actually and ive been known to do a lil shopping now and then with them..

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryT...s&story_no=1651

Edited by una
Guest Peta
my biggest question here is Will this transfer to my other birds? and what will it do to them.

Have you isolated Spaz?

Have you cleaned the other cages out?

If it is scaly face use some parafin oil on all of the affected areas and on other birds but be careful not to get it in there nostrils and mouth.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

BrokenDreamz this is early stages of Scaley Face. Give a wipe of Baby oil on the efected spots, becareful not to get in eye or nostral. Do this everyday for 4 days and you should see an improvement.Get a good insecticide Vetafarm has a good one.

Do the perches and aviary and ......... (Everything)

Everytime I handle my birds I have a bottle of Baby oil. I wipe there ceres and legs and feet. Prevention is better than cure.

Edited by daz
Guest Phoebe
:( Hi there, did you make an appointment today? She gave Monty one injection and it cleared up immediately but gives 2 just to be sure. It sure isn't worth it spreading it to all the other guys, better safe than sorry. :wub:
Guest BrokenDreamz

i would like to try these other methods of treating it that im reading about before i have to spend money i dont have. i will be doing a through cleaning tomorrow. i dont have aany extra perches that fit in certain spots so will soaking the perches in bleach work? what should i do for my other birds?

one thing i dont get is how some people let it get that bad before doing anything about it? i look at spaz and i look at pictures of these other birds with scaley face and i cant see how they let it get that bad...

Guest Peta
i would like to try these other methods of treating it that im reading about before i have to spend money i dont have. i will be doing a through cleaning tomorrow. i dont have aany extra perches that fit in certain spots so will soaking the perches in bleach work? what should i do for my other birds?

one thing i dont get is how some people let it get that bad before doing anything about it? i look at spaz and i look at pictures of these other birds with scaley face and i cant see how they let it get that bad...

Don't use Bleach. Soak the perches in hot water with lemon juice, its the best disinfectant that won't hurt the birds.

And please try Parafin oil(pretty cheap from grocery store) or scaly face treatment(pick up from vet or pet shop for less than $10) on all of your birds twice a day for 5 days, if you don't see an improvement go to the vet or try something else. if you do see an improvement keep isolated and medicate again after a 3 to 5 day break and do all the birds just to make sure. you should put the medication on affected areas, around the beak on the beak and on the legs.

I hope this helps

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

All your birds will need treating. When one of my aviary budgies got it i had to treat the lot even though i had separated the infected one. Scaley face is REALLY contagious!

Guest BrokenDreamz

yes but this hasnt answered my question of what i do with my other birds! the conures and parrotlets? Do i need to treat them? what about the dogs and cat? or the hamster? What do i need to do for them?

so vasaline, parafin oil, or baby oil ?

Guest Peta
yes but this hasnt answered my question of what i do with my other birds! the conures and parrotlets? Do i need to treat them? what about the dogs and cat? or the hamster? What do i need to do for them?

so vasaline, parafin oil, or baby oil ?

If it is scaly face it can't be tranfered to your cat, dog or hamster. I'm not sure about the other birds though, but i would be more inclined to say yes. you should talk to a vet.

Guest BrokenDreamz

i dont have any parafin oil but we do have vasaline and baby oil ( i thought baby oil was yellow like oil but its white and creamy is that what baby oil is supposed to be like? i wouldnt really know as i was the baby when it was probably being used )

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I got a scaly face treatment from our avian vet (also sold over the counter at the vets )....it is invermectin in a dropper container ....cost us $9. You put a drop between the "shoulder blades" or top of wings on the back ....one drop per average bird. Once only treatment in most cases. You would expect to see great improvement in 2 wks. I treat all incoming birds as a matter of course "just in case" . It is simple effective and doesn't give you the hassle of trying to put something on the face of a struggling, or stressed bird, that may or may not like being caught and messed with. Most products from petshops aren't as good. This is a similar product to one called SCAT which is same thing and available I think on the internet. The only side effect was that the birds feel a little sleepy for a few minutes and then are fine. :wub:

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

I took two of my budgies to the vet at the same time, one had scaley face, so I got the medicine. It cost only $20 , for the whole appointment, medicine included. I was told to apply it to the affected areas for 3 days in a row, wait for a week an then repeat again. I did this over the course of a month and it cleared up.

the other birds, I would ask the vet I am not sure I couldn't find a definite answer it is most found in budgies that is all I found. I am sorry.

Correct, the dogs and cats won't get it.

Guest BrokenDreamz

from what i read in my budgie book and one of the sites online. Scaley face or scaley legs can be found around the legs, vent, beak and cere so spazzy just has some scaley bum aswell.

Can the creamy baby oil be used?

Guest Thirtyfive Black

i'll be! i didnt know about the scaley bum!

i would say the oil would be more "pure" the creamy lotion would have other stuff added

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

I think you should go to the vet, you don't know what sort of stuff is in that baby lotion/oil

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Baby oil is clear with out additives and other moisturisers.