• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello everyone! Firstly I would like to say a big thank you for such a terrific, friendly and informative forum. I have spent so much time reading through some of the different sections here and have learned so much from all your valuable insights and information.

I live in Sth Gippsland and am definitely a novice in the world of budgies. I remember my Nan having budgies when I was younger but that's about the extent of my experience! I was given a cage about 4wks ago so I could get a budgie, and a couple of weeks later I got it a friend. I now know, after reading through the advice here, that the cage I have is more suitable for canaries and finches, so I'm quite upset that I have them in the wrong cage type. I've been looking everywhere and asking lots of people if they may have a bigger cage I can buy 2nd hand or borrow but no dice, so I am now trying to save up to try and get my birds some bigger digs.

I have no idea on breeds, correct colour names and classifications - heck I don't even know what sex my babies are but I will post a picture of them in the 'What Sex' section shortly, so am hoping someone may have some advice.

Thank you all once again, I have really appreciated all your wisdom! :P

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

:P good to have you here :P

• Member ID:  5,830
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,590

Hi Ellmak welcome to our hobby I'm sure your birds will give you hours if not years of enjoyment Clearwing

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

:P Good to have you here! Best of luck getting a suitable cage. :P

• Member ID:  5,860

Thanks for the warm welcomes! :P

clearwing, my birds are already giving me lots of enjoyment, I am so fascinated by them - adorable little critters that they are! :P

One question I do have - since I have 2 birds together, what are the chances that one or the other, or both, will learn to talk? Will they take their cues from us humans, or just stick to talking about us in bird speak?

I have picked a key phrase and say it umpteen times a day - got the rest of the family in on the act too. Am just starting with the one phrase so as not to confuse them.

IF one of them is going to talk - what's the average time-frame? 6mths? 12mths? Don't worry, I am very patient. :P

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I now know, after reading through the advice here, that the cage I have is more suitable for canaries and finches, so I'm quite upset that I have them in the wrong cage type. I've been looking everywhere and asking lots of people if they may have a bigger cage I can buy 2nd hand or borrow but no dice, so I am now trying to save up to try and get my birds some bigger digs.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Pets-pet...QAdIdZ162707729

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi, welcome :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes! :)

clearwing, my birds are already giving me lots of enjoyment, I am so fascinated by them - adorable little critters that they are! ;)

One question I do have - since I have 2 birds together, what are the chances that one or the other, or both, will learn to talk? Will they take their cues from us humans, or just stick to talking about us in bird speak?

I have picked a key phrase and say it umpteen times a day - got the rest of the family in on the act too. Am just starting with the one phrase so as not to confuse them.

IF one of them is going to talk - what's the average time-frame? 6mths? 12mths? Don't worry, I am very patient. B)

Since you have 2 budgies it is less likely that one will talk. It is more likely that they will bond with each other and talk to one another. But who knows, one might learn. Every budgie is different.

If one does, it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Edited by birdluv

Thanks Kaz, yep that's just the sort of cage I'm looking for. That one's in Melbourne unfortunately and I can't get up there, otherwise it's perfect! I need something more in the Traralgon/Morwell or Sale area that I can get to easily. Have been keeping an eye out of eBay but not much around.

Hi, welcome :) Since you have 2 budgies it is less likely that one will talk. It is more likely that they will bond with each other and talk to one another. But who knows, one might learn. Every budgie is different. If one does, it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Thanks birdluv. I was afraid that may be the case - I really wanted a talker, not that it matters that much, just thought it would be fun. Charka doesn't say much, just a loud squawk every now and then and a lot of garbled warbling, but I have noticed that Pretty Boy mumbles away to himself at night in a different kind of way than their daytime chatter. I talked to him last night when he was in mumble mode and he put his head on the side like he was listening to me, and mumbled something each time I paused but I'm probably wishful thinking! Anyway I'm... hopeful... but won't hold out too much hope then. ta ;)

Edited by ellmak

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

did you buy both birds at once or did you have one then bought another one, because its a good idea to quarantine a bird for at least 30 before you add it to your flock

Hi Houman, I bought the birds about a week apart but unfortunately I didn't know about quarantining until after they had been together for a while... canoodling like no tomorrow, so in a way I'm kinda relieved they are a boy and girl or any attempts at breeding could have got REAL interesting, lol. Not sure if the store had quarantined them before putting them in the main cage.

Oh and I bought them a new home today (yeah I couldn't wait)! I'll post a picture in the cages section. I'm pretty happy with it and the birds are quite chuffed! :D

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Thanks Kaz, yep that's just the sort of cage I'm looking for. That one's in Melbourne unfortunately and I can't get up there, otherwise it's perfect! I need something more in the Traralgon/Morwell or Sale area that I can get to easily. Have been keeping an eye out of eBay but not much around.

Hi, welcome :o Since you have 2 budgies it is less likely that one will talk. It is more likely that they will bond with each other and talk to one another. But who knows, one might learn. Every budgie is different. If one does, it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Thanks birdluv. I was afraid that may be the case - I really wanted a talker, not that it matters that much, just thought it would be fun. Charka doesn't say much, just a loud squawk every now and then and a lot of garbled warbling, but I have noticed that Pretty Boy mumbles away to himself at night in a different kind of way than their daytime chatter. I talked to him last night when he was in mumble mode and he put his head on the side like he was listening to me, and mumbled something each time I paused but I'm probably wishful thinking! Anyway I'm... hopeful... but won't hold out too much hope then. ta :rolleyes:

Just to give you a little encouragement, I have a cage with two birds in my main living area. (The rest I keep in the basement.) One of the birds was fairly friendly from day one, and the other one has a liver problem (I'm assuming) and doesn't play or talk much. Because she is so boring, I think the friendly bird is bonding with me more than her. Anyway, I swear that lately his buzz chattering has evolved into a couple of phrases. (Hello pretty bird, and "pretty, pretty,pretty, pretty)

Those are phrases I say to my birds constantly, so I would say, keep up with your key phrase, and sooner or later you may be pleasantly surprised. :D

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

welcome ellmak

your not far from me if you ever need help or a bird gets ill

pm me i may just have whats needed to help B)

im sure your friends will enthrall you as mine do still to this very day

:D

• Member ID:  5,666
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,375
  • Birthday:  23/04/1982

Welcome B) You will find a great many members who will offer help, advice and assistance whenever you need it.

It has been a never ending book of information for me.

Just to give you a little encouragement, I have a cage with two birds in my main living area. (The rest I keep in the basement.) One of the birds was fairly friendly from day one, and the other one has a liver problem (I'm assuming) and doesn't play or talk much. Because she is so boring, I think the friendly bird is bonding with me more than her. Anyway, I swear that lately his buzz chattering has evolved into a couple of phrases. (Hello pretty bird, and "pretty, pretty,pretty, pretty)

Those are phrases I say to my birds constantly, so I would say, keep up with your key phrase, and sooner or later you may be pleasantly surprised. :P

Thanks for the encouragement Finnie! I will keep at the key phrase. I know it will take a long time, and probably even longer since there are two - I just wish my male wasn't so standoff-ish. In the week that he lived by himself he would hop onto my finger 7 times out of 10 which I thought was great, but since Charka moved in, it's more like 1 time in 10 that he'll let step up onto my finger. :D But he does mumble quite a bit, so I guess perserverance is the key.

welcome ellmak

your not far from me if you ever need help or a bird gets ill

pm me i may just have whats needed to help :P

im sure your friends will enthrall you as mine do still to this very day

:P

Thanks GenericBlue! I will definitely keep you in mind if, or probably when, I get stuck on something. :P

Welcome :P You will find a great many members who will offer help, advice and assistance whenever you need it.

It has been a never ending book of information for me.

Thanks Amy - it's like the book you can't put down!!! It's sooooo addictive! :rofl: