• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Once again amazing bubs - well done Nubbly! B)
babies16-12-09023.jpg

Please tell me more about this "little" one - does it come out of a split pairing?

Thanks Renee

No he comes from a clearwing to clearwing pairing. His Dad is a clearwing I got from Lin Pittick (RIP) at his clearance auction as a UBC. I thought he looked to have a fair bit of potential and I was right. Father himself has matured beautifully but these guys are way bigger than him again. I've bred 2 full rounds from this pairing and the chicks from the previous round are nice as well just not a huge as these guys.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Once again amazing bubs - well done Nubbly! B)
babies16-12-09023.jpg

Please tell me more about this "little" one - does it come out of a split pairing?

Thanks Renee

No he comes from a clearwing to clearwing pairing. His Dad is a clearwing I got from Lin Pittick (RIP) at his clearance auction as a UBC. I thought he looked to have a fair bit of potential and I was right. Father himself has matured beautifully but these guys are way bigger than him again. I've bred 2 full rounds from this pairing and the chicks from the previous round are nice as well just not a huge as these guys.

Well I think you've hit the jackpot with this pairing :D

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

by the look she has hit jackpot with all her pairing

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

More talent and knowledge with pairings than a jackpot methinks :rip:

• 1 month later...

miscphotos002.jpg

Nubbly........could i see some more detail and or measurements of your corner cabinets please ? I am currently trying to re-jig my breeding room and make better use of my corners :emoticon112:

• Member ID:  5,023

Hey Kaz

Just got home from a 2500km round trip from Bunbury through Coorow, Carnamah, Geraldton, Calingiri and home again. Will take some more pics over the weekend and do some measuring for you. Hope you don't mind a small wait!

Cheers

Gina

Hey Kaz

Just got home from a 2500km round trip from Bunbury through Coorow, Carnamah, Geraldton, Calingiri and home again. Will take some more pics over the weekend and do some measuring for you. Hope you don't mind a small wait!

Cheers

Gina

No, thats cool......I can wait :D Just trying to re-jig the birdroom while numbers are down in there and i have a day or two free to do some cabinet work :)

thay are cool i did not see that be for if i was you i will have them as babys cages ??

Baby cages, holding cages, whatever - during the breeding season I generally only use the top 2 as the babies go from there into the baby flight reasonably quickly.

okay i know sume breeder how do that do you have 3 flight hen cock and babys or just hen and cock or babys and hen & cock

thank's shannon sorry but i am try to fine out what top breeder's do

okay i know sume breeder how do that do you have 3 flight hen cock and babys or just hen and cock or babys and hen & cock

Well I think I've got what you are asking here...... If you are asking how I seperate birds into different flights........

I have 6 flights (actually 7 as one full length flight is divided into 2. They are 1.5m x 6m in length so I have big flights and 2 half sized ones. One half sized one is usually empty but gets used to house a show team when I am prepping them for the Nats. The other small flight is a baby flight. They go in there after the nappy cage and then once they start to moult they go into a full sized flight. I house babies together cocks and hens so that they learn budgie communication between sexes ettiquette. Once I do my yearly cull just before the next breeding season, they get seperated into cocks and hens and housed in seperate flights to prevent any surprises when pairing. BUT since starting with clearwings and BES I have ended up housing both cocks and hens of those varieties together as they and their splits look really crappy in amoungst the other birds AND I was running out of space!

So currently - show team flight is empty, baby flight full, 2x blue ringer young bird flights full, 1x hens flight (normals, fallows and splits, lacewings) full, cock flight (normals, fallow, lacewings and splits) full, 1x clearwings, bes and splits (both cocks and hens) full.

I don't think I have a real system and this changes a bit once I do a cull. I think this year I'm going to have to cull sooner than normal as the breeding season has been great and I have soooooo many blue ringer babies.

Looking at quitting a variety maybe too...........

Well I think I've got what you are asking here...... If you are asking how I seperate birds into different flights........

I have 6 flights (actually 7 as one full length flight is divided into 2. They are 1.5m x 6m in length so I have big flights and 2 half sized ones. One half sized one is usually empty but gets used to house a show team when I am prepping them for the Nats. The other small flight is a baby flight. They go in there after the nappy cage and then once they start to moult they go into a full sized flight. I house babies together cocks and hens so that they learn budgie communication between sexes ettiquette. Once I do my yearly cull just before the next breeding season, they get seperated into cocks and hens and housed in seperate flights to prevent any surprises when pairing. BUT since starting with clearwings and BES I have ended up housing both cocks and hens of those varieties together as they and their splits look really crappy in amoungst the other birds AND I was running out of space!

So currently - show team flight is empty, baby flight full, 2x blue ringer young bird flights full, 1x hens flight (normals, fallows and splits, lacewings) full, cock flight (normals, fallow, lacewings and splits) full, 1x clearwings, bes and splits (both cocks and hens) full.

I don't think I have a real system and this changes a bit once I do a cull. I think this year I'm going to have to cull sooner than normal as the breeding season has been great and I have soooooo many blue ringer babies.

When I win Lotto I am going to have a set up like yours! :laughter:

okay that is huge thank's i will keep that in mine thank you

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

wow thats fantastic nubbly

what a fantastic set up

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I would love to have a setup like that but unfortunatley that probably will never happen :) but I do have 4 aviary so I am lucky, I have a baby aviary which I use when preparing birds for my show team and at the moment there are 25 birds in there getting ready.

I have 3 out side aviaries one for adult birds and one for the young and a cull flight. The adult and young flight will be the hen and cock flights when I seperate in preparation for the breeding season.

BUt off breeding season I fly all adults together to keep the hens active :)

Well I'll have to restate all that. I got to and looked at my birds this weekend as things are starting to get very tight spacewise with such a good breeding season filling up the aviary in a hurry. So now I have one flight full of culls, one flight for BES, Fallows and clearwings (and splits) cocks and hens, One flight normals (cins, spangles etc), lacewings and splits, 2 young bird flights and a baby flight.

And as far as winning lotto - the whole shebang, concrete, materials, fittings, wire and everything cost us around $5,000 (we did recycle pation tube and tin from the original flights). We designed and built it ourselves and it's only that we are lucky to live on acreage that we've been able to do it this way.

Edited by nubbly5

Well I'll have to restate all that. I got to and looked at my birds this weekend as things are starting to get very tight spacewise with such a good breeding season filling up the aviary in a hurry. So now I have one flight full of culls, one flight for BES, Fallows and clearwings (and splits) cocks and hens, One flight normals (cins, spangles etc), lacewings and splits, 2 young bird flights and a baby flight.

So which variety are you considering dropping?

Hopefully NOT the Fallows or BES's as we have so few good breeders of those varieties here in WA. :rolleyes:

So which variety are you considering dropping?

Hopefully NOT the Fallows or BES's as we have so few good breeders of those varieties here in WA. :rolleyes:

I was considering dropping the BES mainly because I don't find them very attractive as a variety AND they are similar to the lacewings just not as nice. Then I was thinking of dropping the fallow coz they have stalled so very badly but in the end I've culled the BES and clearwings really hard with consideration that I'm only running a few nests of these each season. I've kept all my remaining fallows (not many) and most of my lacewings. I had hung onto quite a number of hens that I was giving a "second chance" so I've bitten the bullet and taken them out too, leaving only untried or proven girls that I want to keep. Cocks the same. So now I should have room to accomodate the new youngsters.

I now have lots of clearwings and few others looking for a new home though.

• Member ID:  5,309
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,385
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

Oh no Nubbly, sorry to hear you have to cut back... I have got myself a few good Fallows now, including some I got from you... Thank you again too... :) I hope to start breeding them mid this year after I have got my normal lines ready for the following year to bred... Can't breed good budgies without a good normal line... So I will be seeking your wisdom on Fallows... If you don't mind that is... :)

Can't wait for more pictures of your gang... :)

Of course i don't mind - anytime. And I'm sure master chookbreeder also has some fallowly advice to offer a new starter to the variety.

• Member ID:  5,309
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,385
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

:) Thanks Nubbly...

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Of course i don't mind - anytime. And I'm sure master chookbreeder also has some fallowly advice to offer a new starter to the variety.

ha ha master lol chookbreeder i like that must use it next time we meet lol

hello master :)

I now have lots of clearwings and few others looking for a new home though.

Any Clearwings related to the ones I have that I would like? :)

best of luck with it hope you keep the best for me ...... :) no i olny kidding photos i wish i can get them but i am to far to get them