• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

There are a number of way we can help the victims of the victorian bushfires...

Anyone wanting to volunteer to help in the bushfire relief effort can contact 1300 366 356.

If you want to donate money to the Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund, click on the link for details.

Or Phone 1800 811 700

Or go to any NAB, ANZ, Westpac or Commonwealth Bank branch

The NAB has set up an account for people to donate directly to, click for details

Or go to any Bunnings store

Australia Post will donate $1 million to the bushfire relief fund and collect donations in more than 4000 post offices across the country.

Another appeal set up is the Myer Bushfire Appeal. All proceeds will go to the Salvation Army. Donate at any Victorian Myer store.

Shop at Coles supermarkets this Friday, 13th February. All proceeds going to the bush fire victims.

Many people are also donating items... from clothes, toys to personal items. Although the red cross request these not be donated (due to the enormous task of distributing them), some times that is all you can offer. Not everyone can donate money. If anyone wishes to donate goods, we have a few drop off points near my place, and I'd be happy to distribute items for you. PM for details if needed.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I would like to donate clothes. Send me postal details.

• Member ID:  4,763
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  529
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,070
  • Birthday:  11/05/1963

I enrolled to give blood today. The burns victims will be requiring blood for quite some time as they recover.

• Member ID:  3,436
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  395
  • Birthday:  15/07/1955
  • Device:  Windows

ive been able to listen to 3aw (radio) but only on the way to work & then home.

i heard one person mention that they had been given lots of cans but no can openers, another that they needed paper and pens to write info on.

that was yesterday. i didnt hear the outcome.

• Member ID:  3,838

I heard on the news that they have a need for toiletries, shoes etc... (I can't remember what else they said?) Will PM you Kaz...

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Our local relief centre (we are only about ten minutes from one of them) requested toiletries (especially new toothbrushes and hairbrushes, sunscreen, after shave, shaving cream, perfumes etc to make people feel better), nappies and also animal cages as many people jumped in their cars with a cat under their arm or a bird in a cardboard box and need to house it while at the relief centre. I took 8 spare cages which would suit small dogs, cats or even birds down this arvo and they were so pleased as many of the animal rescues are overflowing and there is no where left for people to house their animals other than in their cars. I also purchased about 50 toothbrushes, five large tubes of toothpaste, a large tub of sunscreen and some cheap packsof combs, we also asked around the street and gots lots of the hotel tubes of shampoo, mini soaps, etc and took them in. Yes I could have just given them that money that I spent on toiletries but they were actually really pleased that I filled a need as it meant they didn't have to send anyone to buy those essentials.

Our local centre has asked for no more clothes to be taken in, as when you think about it there are about 5000 people directly affected by this and many tens of thousands of people all trying to donate clothing so they are absolutely overflowing with clothing donations when what they really need are consumables like food, toiletries, etc.

I enrolled to give blood today. The burns victims will be requiring blood for quite some time as they recover.

I can only imagine... burns are very painful. I am unable to give blood, but thanks for reminding us that we can do that too!

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

I can only imagine... burns are very painful. I am unable to give blood, but thanks for reminding us that we can do that too!

im in same boat massie sucks but ....

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

this is so terrible but the small effort of everyone people will forage ahead and make it....God Bless.

• Member ID:  3,436
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  395
  • Birthday:  15/07/1955
  • Device:  Windows

i will support the cause by shopping at Coles on friday. all profits will be going to the fire APPEAL.

• 3 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,121
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  775

I took 8 spare cages which would suit small dogs, cats or even birds down this arvo and they were so pleased as many of the animal rescues are overflowing and there is no where left for people to house their animals other than in their cars.

Hey MB I think I saw you when I was working at the relief centre! I work for the YMCA and I normally teach out of DCCC so I was working there every day, helping with whatever was needed.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

We stacked them all just outside the front door and I was there a couple of times as I dropped in with some toothbrushes, etc and then checked what other things they might actually need and went home and brought them back so you might have seen me :budgiedance:

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

I have been working at the Equine Centre at Werribee, which is taking in burnt horses and treating them for free. It has been exhausting, physically and mentally and emotionally, and even though it's been almost a week since I've been off I'm still recovering from the sleep deprivation and the emotional toll it's had on me. We had 35 patients at one point, which included 14 burns victims, the rest being our regular case load including emergences and intensive care. That was more boxes than the hospital had, so we put some of them in the teaching yards, two or three in one box if they came from the same place, etc. Students from other groups and even the year level below us came to help our group who had to manage them all including washing all their burns, giving them medication and managing their pain relief or IV fluids as needed.

We had the owners there too, we gave them special consideration because of all they've been through, and allowing them to help their animals would help them mentally too. In some cases that animal was the last thing the owner had left.

I'm not allowed to talk it due to patient/client confidentiality, but the things I saw and heard bring me to tears now. The most heartwrenching thing is that some animals are in so much pain that they won't let you help them. It really hurts because all you want to do is relieve their pain.

The week has left me heartsick and exhausted. At the same time there were moments that were heartwarming - the patient becoming better, we get new donations of medicine, or a nice owner brings in a GIANT bag of carrots and apples for all the victims.

Emotions have been all over the place the past two weeks, but I'm dealing with it.

Edited by Chrysocome

Bless you luv xoxo :D I can only imagine what it must have been like for you and all of the others in this situation. I was watching that animal show last week, and they had stories from the fires. There was one about this poor darling ginger cat who's eyes looked like they were melted over and had horrific burns... It was so horrible and I couldn't stop crying... poor defensless animals...

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

alot of horses and cattle have to be put to sleep due to the blood in feet hooves boiling and killing the hooves very sad and very distressing to see these animals that look okay but relisticlly are just unable to be helped

and have to be distroyed

so much pain for all invoved