• Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

yea is not to far mabe thats were the army trucks were going but then im not geografically designed as a person and could be way off few hours from us which in a bush fire burning at 20 k wide and 10 k fast with ash an ambers flying at 20 k in frount and 4 storys high (NOT IN THE FIRE BALL) thats close relisticlly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Now 84... and Brian Nailor and his wife have died (channel 9 news) How sad...

• Member ID:  4,737

Now 84... and Brian Nailor and his wife have died (channel 9 news) How sad...

really **** man .....i wanted to find out where to donate clothes

i just brought **** loads of cloths and would like to give some to people with nothing left i also want to go to op shop buy some stuff and donate it

i might just go to the evacuation center and give the kids a new teady each

if i can go to wearhouse they have heaps cheep stuff for kids get their mind off **** for a tad

im so lucky

i cant even watch the tv or hear radio

i havent heared plains coptors or fire trucks ambos nothing for hours so we must be all good now and out of fires line

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

I'm just so shocked and sad about it all. My heart goes out to all those who have lost something or someone, to all those in danger or have loved ones in danger, the volunteers and firefighters risking their lives to save others.

I've just learnt that one of my classmates and friend lost her home (with everything inside) and her animals - including dogs, galah and budgie. She and her family are unharmed. I'm at a loss for words.

I hope that it is all over soon and that the cooler weather helps bring the tragedies to an end as quick as possible.

just finished talking to my sister she knew this guy who took his too kids to their grand mars where there was no fire risk then went to fight fires only to come back to find them dead

he also was the guy who reported on the ash wendsday fires

its so deverstating dimmond creek needs help so my sis going over tomorrow she is in preston to help

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Huge hugs, this is so devestating.... :)

• Member ID:  4,756
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  546
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,465
  • Birthday:  07/10/1976

I've just learnt that one of my classmates and friend lost her home (with everything inside) and her animals - including dogs, galah and budgie. She and her family are unharmed. I'm at a loss for words.

My worst nightmare...just awful.

Early reports this morning... 108 dead. Still rising as they have to search through all the burnt down properties... The latest death toll, announced at 6.30am, surpasses the toll from the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires, in which 75 people died in Victoria and South Australia, and the Black Friday bushfires of 1939, which killed 71. At Least 750 homes destroyed.

• Member ID:  4,950
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  480
  • Birthday:  04/04/1978

Well I am lost for words, I have been fused to the tv since last night. Words cannot justify my heartfelt sorrow for the people who have lost their lives, their properties, animals, and family members. I cannot possibly fathom what it must be like, the gut-wrenching fear. So many were caught by surprise and could not even escape in the car. It is overwhelmingly sad and my thoughts go out to all affected by the fires. And to those who have deliberately lit fires...well...one can only hope that the full force of the law comes down on you so hard, you don't know what hit you. I have heard that these pyromaniacs, if caught, will be charged with murder and so they should!

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Grieving Victoria takes stock as toll hits 108

Fire crews have now accessed many of the worst hit areas left decimated by the intensity of the fires. (AAP: Andrew Brownbill)

Across Victoria people are looking to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives, as the state attempts to come to terms with the deadliest bushfire disaster in Australian history.

At least 108 people have died in the horrific blazes, which continue to rage throughout the state.

Fire crews have now accessed many of the worst hit areas left decimated by the intensity of the fires.

The Kinglake region, north-east of Melbourne, remains the worst-affected, losing more than 550 homes.

Whole towns, such as Marysville, have been burnt to the ground, with more than 750 homes across the state now confirmed destroyed.

A change in the weather has helped firefighters, with Victorian fire authorities saying they were focusing on protecting buildings overnight as conditions remain favourable.

Cool change

Victoria's Country Fire Authority says it will try to contain fires over the next few days as conditions ease.

CFA State Duty Officer Mark Glover says fire crews will attempt to maintain containment lines throughout the week.

"The whole idea now is we consolidate the gains we've made," he said.

"So we'll try and track the fires, and then what we'll try and do then is ensure the fire inside burns right up to those lines and then we consolidate the blackness around those lines as much as we possibly can."

Thirty-one fires continue to burn across Victoria. Authorities suspect arsonists are responsible for some fires.

The Beechworth fire is continuing to threaten the areas of Stanley, Bruarong, Dederang, Gundowring, Gundowring Upper, Kancoona, Kancoona South, Coral Bank, Glen Creek and Running Creek.

The CFA says there have been reports of fires in the back paddocks of houses in Kancoona and Dederang.

Mr Glover says the conditions have eased but the fire is still spreading.

"It's a little bit milder than normal, except from the fact that Beechworth, because it's north of the divide in Victoria, the temperatures are a bit hotter, therefore the fire runs a bit hotter," he said.

"So the activity within that forest area that is around Beechworth is providing us with a little bit of a challenge."

The other major fire of concern, the Murrindini Mill fire, is moving north-east and is now about 93,000 hectares in size.

Fire authorities are also warning it will take several more days to control a large blaze burning near Victoria's biggest electricity generator, the Loy Yang power station.

Incident Controller Steven Walls says crews are already exhausted from fighting fires in the area over the past 10 days.

He says relief crews from other regions should start arriving in the morning.

"Certainly it's going to take us many days, possibly a week, to get around it. The terrain up around the Strzelckis and the Jeeralang Ranges is such that getting onto the fire ridge is very, very difficult," he said.

Promise to rebuild

In an address to the ravaged state last night, Victorian Premier John Brumby promised his Government would not stop until the devastated communities had been rebuilt.

"We know that tragically many lives have been lost ... and we have grave concerns for many more. We know that hundreds of Victorians have lost their houses. Out there it has been *** on Earth," he said.

"It is one of the most tragic events in Victoria's history. I am personally devastated by the tragedy. The scale of the tragedy defies comprehension.

"We all grieve with you. So many families, families like yours and mine, now have to rebuild. I can promise that we will not stop until you are safe and your lives and communities have been rebuilt."

The Federal Government has deployed the army and the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, says more help is on the way.

"This is something where the nation has a responsibility to reach out," he said.

Hospital emergency departments have been overflowing with fire victims, and Melbourne's Alfred Hospital has admitted at least 20 people with critical burns and is bracing for more.

As the death toll continues to rise in fire-ravaged communities, Mr Rudd has warned more heartache is likely in the next few days.

"The news is going to be bad and I believe the nation is going to need to prepare itself," he said.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has told Mr Rudd Britain stands ready to help the victims of the deadly Victorian bush fires.

Mr Brown extended his sympathies to the Australian people during a phone call to Mr Rudd, a spokesman for Mr Brown's office in London said.

"The Prime Minister spoke to Kevin Rudd this morning to extend our sympathies to the Australian people, especially those families who have been affected by this tragedy," he said.

Relief funds

People affected by the Victorian bushfires will be able to apply for payments as part of a $10 million disaster relief fund set up by the Federal Government.

The money will go to people who were seriously injured or hospitalised, and to those who lost their homes.

Eligible adults will receive $1,000 and an additional $400 payment will be made per child.

Mr Rudd told reporters in the fire-ravaged Yarra Valley that Centrelink payments were available immediately for anyone needing assistance.

The Department of Human Services is distributing thousands of recovery booklets to fire-affected areas.

Spokesman Steve Pivetta says help is there for those who most need it urgently.

"We have personal hardship grants, one in particular is just over a $1,000, which is not means-tested, that's an emergency assistance grant which provides basic assistance for immediate basic needs only," he said.

"It's designed to cover expenses such as food, clothing, personal items, appropriate shelter, and specific one-off transport costs."

Mr Pivetta says larger grants are also on offer to assist fire victims in the medium-term.

"Now this material we're putting out in the thousands to local government areas, where people can go to, and the councils will disseminate that information, which would make things a lot easier for people who have been affected."

"There are other grants, I should add. There's the temporary living expenses grant and a re-establishment grant, totalling nearly $26,000."

The Department of Human Services has more information on grants available for bushfire victims.

Police have requested that people not bring items to the relief centres.

Police appreciate that people want to help the victims of the fire but are requesting items be passed on to other relief agencies which can help distribute the items in due course.

The number of people bringing items to the centres is causing difficulties in the operation of the centres.

The Red Cross is requesting people donate cash rather than material items such as clothes, because money is easier to deal with and pass on to local businesses.

People are advised to contact the Victorian bushfire info line on 1800 240 667 for more information.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

GB I just checked the CFA site as I'm only five minutes down the road from Diamond creek and the only fire listed in that area was at Upper Plenty which was a small grass fire now listed as safe so tell your sister there isn't much to worry about there. That page is on constant update so if it's not on there it isn't burning :)

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I don't know what to say.... this is just utterly devastating :)

I haven't watched the news is ages so here is the only place i heard about it.

I was nearly a casualty of the ash Wednesday fires in 83 :o

I hope there is no more death :)

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

This is so horrible. My condolences to those who have lost loved ones- family, friends and pets. Hugs to everyone that is affected.

Now 126... and on the news tonight... 131. It's predicted to get to 200. I hope not. It's unbearable to think of.

Edited by maesie
Updated total

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

:)

I just want to fly over and give everyone hugs.

Edited by Sailorwolf

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

I can't bear to watch the news. It's so terrible- so many lives lost, so much pain and horror, such destruction. Ours may be the Lucky country but it's a harsh country too.

Edited by renee

... and what makes it ever harder to deal with, is that fact that some of those fires... the ones which killed many people, are suspected to be deliberately lit... how could anyone do it... makes me sick :)

• Member ID:  3,436
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  395
  • Birthday:  15/07/1955
  • Device:  Windows

marysville is now closed to all.

it is now a crime scene. they think it was delibertly lit.

the place we usually stay at in marysville were asked to leave saturday arvo. it was a resort with about 100 people checking in weekly.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

My hubby used to live and work in Marysville so that has been a particularly sad loss for him, we don't yet know if he knew any of the people who have been lost.

Edited by melbournebudgies

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

This truelly is a tragic. I hope all our Victorian Members are safe. I'm over in KL and trying to keep up to date with everything that is going on over there, I know a few people that have lost their homes, one girl that we know was over here and couldn't get in contact with her mother... she was petrified as you can imagine and she flew home early because her home was in the effected area's... not a good time.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:53am AEDT

Updated 6 hours 51 minutes ago

* Map: Arthurs Creek 3099

Victoria's bushfires have so far claimed the lives of at least 135 people, although the death toll is expect to rise. Here is a list of the confirmed deaths.

St Andrews - 6

Kinglake - 35

Wandong - 4

Arthurs Creek - 1

Eaglehawk - 1

Humevale - 6

Kinglake West - 9

Strathewan - 7

Callignee - 9

Hazelwood - 4

Jeeralang - 1

Flowerdale - 4

Marysville - 12

Hazledene - 2

Taggerty - 3

Location details not specific - 6

Steeles Creek - 7

Mudegegonga - 2

Yarra Glen - 1

Koornalla - 4

Narbethong - 9

Upper Callignee - 1

Clonbinane - 1

List provided by Victoria Police

News this morning... death toll up to 166

• Member ID:  2,008
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

Just heard it is now 173... this is so terrible. My nan, who now lives in Sydney with my Mum, lived sixty years in Alexandra and I spent every summer of my childhood down there. I have vivid recollections of the bushfire alarm going off multiple times over summer with grassfires cropping up out of nowhere. It is so difficult to comprehend an entire area like that virtually wiped out...

On a more positive note, the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal has received more than $12 million in donations.

death toll will be devistating and homeless people will be huge

when i got home yes i was allowed home so with fam and little girl now

we got a heap of clothing and things most never been worn and took it back down to the warragul fire victims thing

we took food and we bagged up dog food and also gave that

we registed for anyone who needs to house animals like small rabbits ginni pigs small dogs and i have some empty avirys so birds also although we not out of danger yet ourselfs so they wont allow us to intill the council is happy we are in no threat then they will place animals with us that need to be housed for people

we are okay unless wind changes i can see fires from my window as i write this but feel safe for now although they are still burning quiet large

death toll will be devistating and homeless people will be huge

when i got home yes i was allowed home so with fam and little girl now

we got a heap of clothing and things most never been worn and took it back down to the warragul fire victims thing

we took food and we bagged up dog food and also gave that

we registed for anyone who needs to house animals like small rabbits ginni pigs small dogs and i have some empty avirys so birds also although we not out of danger yet ourselfs so they wont allow us to intill the council is happy we are in no threat then they will place animals with us that need to be housed for people

we are okay unless wind changes i can see fires from my window as i write this but feel safe for now although they are still burning quiet large

i have just been informed all fires around me pose no threat and all contained :D:D:)