• Content Count:  683
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  4,315
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  16/01/1977

Yes ;)

Thanks MB.

This chick, the pied, would this be a male since mum is dom pied and dad is opaline split lutino? Just wondering cause the last clutch they had they only had one surviving chick and it was a dom pied cock.

RSCN7123_200.jpg

This is the last dom pied chick they produced...

RSCN5612.jpg

Edited by chrissy0705

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Dom pied isnt sex linked so it could be either ;)

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

It would be a male since the dad is opaline. All hen chicks would inherit opaline, any tht don't inherit the opaline must be male.

• Member ID:  4,495
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01

It would be a male since the dad is opaline. All hen chicks would inherit opaline, any tht don't inherit the opaline must be male.

Thanks MB.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I wasnt listening to the opaline part ;)

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

MB is right. Sex linked genes I'm startnig to understand... reccesive and dom no where near understanding ;)

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

MB is right. Sex linked genes I'm startnig to understand... reccesive and dom no where near understanding ;)

too easy jimmy, Recessive means a bird can hide the gene while showing another, dominant means they show the gene if they have it and can not hide it

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

okay... RIP lets make this a bit easier... I'll break it down then maybe you can tell better. Here are pics of the parents as you requested and new pics of all the chicks with my guesses or what I've been told they are so far.... please help if you can. Ignore any of the other pics posted above... these pics of the chicks are from today... most current.

I thought it would be easier to add comment at each photo. It will be in this colour and bold type.

This is hen # 1 - Opaline Mauve Hen - Yep no surprises there

DSCN6395.jpg

This is her mate, cock #1 - Sky Blue YF2 Greywing Split to Recessive/Ino Cock - I see a Goldenface(sf) Full Body Coloured Greywing. Given the results so far he is also split for Ino

DSCN3795.jpg

These are their babies:

Bub #1 - Albino hen - will be Coablt and will be split Greywing or Clearwing

RSCN7118_195.jpg

Bub #2 - Normal ?? - Yep I see Normal. Will be Cobalt and split for Greywing or Clearwing

RSCN7125_202.jpg

Bub #3 - Normal ?? - Yep. Same as above, Cobalt split for Grey or Clearwing

RSCN7122_199.jpg

Bub #4 - YF2 ?? - Goldenface(sf) Cobalt will be split for Greywing or Clearwing

RSCN7121_198.jpg

In the above pairing all cocks will be split Opaline and some will be split Ino

This is hen #2 - Dominant Pied Light Green Hen - Given the breeding results she is a Single Factor Dominant Pied

DSCN6391.jpg

This is her mate, cock #2 - Opaline Dark Green Split to Lutino Cock - Yep Split Ino alright. Don't see anything hiding in there

DSCN4242.jpg

These are their babies:

Bub #1 - Lutino hen - She will also be Opaline and a small chance she is also Dom Pied(sf) Lt or Dk Green

RSCN7117_194.jpg

Bub #2 - Dominant Pied ?? - Dom Pied(sf) Lt or Dk Green cock. He will be split for Opaline and small chance split for Ino

RSCN7123_200.jpg

Bub #3 - Dominant Pied ?? - An Opaline Lt or Dk Green hen. If you look at the white down it is evidence of Opaline. Look at the feather tract pattern on the head also a give away. Place a normal of the same against this bird and compare the feather pattern on the head. Also if you look at the two central tail feathers you will see they will be the dk blue of normal rather than yellow but this is not a reliable guide on its own.

RSCN7124_201.jpg

Bub #4 - Normal ?? - Yep I see a Normal Lt or Dk Green cock although I am leaning to Dk Green. Will be split for Opaline and small chance split for Ino

RSCN7120_197.jpg

Bub # 5 - ?? (to young to tell) ?? - Actually the down coming through is looking rather whitsh so this could be an Opaline hen

RSCN7119_196.jpg

Bub #6 -?? (to young to tell) ?? - Lt or Dk Green. Another day or so but I think it could be another Pied

RSCN7116_193.jpg

Bub #7 -?? (to young to tell) ?? - Agreed

RSCN7115_192.jpg

Hope I have been helpful

Edited by RIPbudgies

RIP thank you for the help on these, this is more info than I thought I could get at this stage. As soon as I find the battery for the camera I will take new pics of the younger chicks to see if we can tell better what they are.

Question... the Albino and Lutino chicks you list a color (cobalt, green, etc...) I thought being ino and lut color didn't exist anymore... or do you note the color for future breeding? Or do you say Albino masking cobalt? How do you say it?

Also you stated that the offspring from the greywing are split greywing or clearwing, where does the clearwing fall into play?

Last one, bub #4 from the second pair, the normal, you say will be split for Opaline, if I understand right a hen can't be split for opaline so this must be a cock? Am I right on this?

** And just a note, you can't see it in the picture, but the Greywing is also split recessive. He has a small yellow dot on the back of his head**

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

RIP thank you for the help on these, this is more info than I thought I could get at this stage. As soon as I find the battery for the camera I will take new pics of the younger chicks to see if we can tell better what they are. I will answer some of the questions and I know RIPbudgie can build on mine if I didn't get them totally described.

Question... the Albino and Lutino chicks you list a color (cobalt, green, etc...) I thought being ino and lut color didn't exist anymore... or do you note the color for future breeding? Or do you say Albino masking cobalt? How do you say it? The ino color erases the blue or the green leaving the base color of the budgie either white or yellow, a ino budgie is always a blue/white based and an lutino is always a yellow/green based the ino gene will mask dark factors - example no dark factors skyblue, 1 - cobalt and 2 - mauve, knowing the parents and how many dark factors they have you can make an educated guess if the chick is carrying none, 1 or 2 dark factors.

Also you stated that the offspring from the greywing are split greywing or clearwing, where does the clearwing fall into play? Full body Greywings are a combination of Clearwing & Greywing

Last one, bub #4 from the second pair, the normal, you say will be split for Opaline, if I understand right a hen can't be split for opaline so this must be a cock? Am I right on this? YES, since the female is an opaline the male off spring are split for opaline

** And just a note, you can't see it in the picture, but the Greywing is also split recessive. He has a small yellow dot on the back of his head** Yes

RIP thank you for the help on these, this is more info than I thought I could get at this stage. As soon as I find the battery for the camera I will take new pics of the younger chicks to see if we can tell better what they are. I will answer some of the questions and I know RIPbudgie can build on mine if I didn't get them totally described. Elly thank you, any and all explanations help me piece it together, sometimes it confusses me more, but I eventually get it. RIP is doing a wonderful job explaining and reexplaining... and any added info from you or other members is more than welcome... i can never get enough!!!

Question... the Albino and Lutino chicks you list a color (cobalt, green, etc...) I thought being ino and lut color didn't exist anymore... or do you note the color for future breeding? Or do you say Albino masking cobalt? How do you say it? The ino color erases the blue or the green leaving the base color of the budgie either white or yellow, a ino budgie is always a blue/white based and an lutino is always a yellow/green based the ino gene will mask dark factors - example no dark factors skyblue, 1 - cobalt and 2 - mauve, knowing the parents and how many dark factors they have you can make an educated guess if the chick is carrying none, 1 or 2 dark factors. I understand how the ino lut leave just the base color, i just didn't know that you still stated a color, but I can understand why... it gives you a history of what this ino will produce when it comes to the colors of it's chicks in the futrue, right? So how would you say the name of this chick, Ino masking Cobalt split Greywing/Clearwing Hen???

Also you stated that the offspring from the greywing are split greywing or clearwing, where does the clearwing fall into play? Full body Greywings are a combination of Clearwing & Greywing So again I have to ask how do you say the name?... The cock would be called a Sky Blue Goldenface (sf) Greywing Clearwing split Ino and Recessive ???

Last one, bub #4 from the second pair, the normal, you say will be split for Opaline, if I understand right a hen can't be split for opaline so this must be a cock? Am I right on this? YES, since the female is an opaline the male off spring are split for opaline But I thought the normals in this case could be male or female... what is it that indicates a male split for opaline instead of just a normal hen? What should I be looking for that I'm missing?

** And just a note, you can't see it in the picture, but the Greywing is also split recessive. He has a small yellow dot on the back of his head** Yes

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Question... the Albino and Lutino chicks you list a color (cobalt, green, etc...) I thought being ino and lut color didn't exist anymore... or do you note the color for future breeding? Or do you say Albino masking cobalt? How do you say it? The ino color erases the blue or the green leaving the base color of the budgie either white or yellow, a ino budgie is always a blue/white based and an lutino is always a yellow/green based the ino gene will mask dark factors - example no dark factors skyblue, 1 - cobalt and 2 - mauve, knowing the parents and how many dark factors they have you can make an educated guess if the chick is carrying none, 1 or 2 dark factors. I understand how the ino lut leave just the base color, i just didn't know that you still stated a color, but I can understand why... it gives you a history of what this ino will produce when it comes to the colors of it's chicks in the futrue, right? So how would you say the name of this chick, Ino masking Cobalt split Greywing/Clearwing Hen??? you can do the table and do predications just like any other non-sex mutation so you have a Sky blue x a Mauve that is going to give you all Cobalt chicks

Also you stated that the offspring from the greywing are split greywing or clearwing, where does the clearwing fall into play? Full body Greywings are a combination of Clearwing & Greywing So again I have to ask how do you say the name?... The cock would be called a Sky Blue Goldenface (sf) Greywing Clearwing split Ino and Recessive ??? No he would be a Skyblue Goldenface Full Body Clearwing (he is not split to it he is it) split to Ino & Recessive Pied

Last one, bub #4 from the second pair, the normal, you say will be split for Opaline, if I understand right a hen can't be split for opaline so this must be a cock? Am I right on this? YES, since the female is an opaline the male off spring are split for opaline But I thought the normals in this case could be male or female... what is it that indicates a male split for opaline instead of just a normal hen? What should I be looking for that I'm missing? Non-Opaline female x Opaline male Split your off spring will be 1/2 males split for opaline and 1/2 normals, 1/2 the females are opaline, 1/2 females are non-opaline, non opaline not having the opaline gene doesn't mean they are normals they could be a different mutation, remember mutations can be combined.

Question... the Albino and Lutino chicks you list a color (cobalt, green, etc...) I thought being ino and lut color didn't exist anymore... or do you note the color for future breeding? Or do you say Albino masking cobalt? How do you say it? The ino color erases the blue or the green leaving the base color of the budgie either white or yellow, a ino budgie is always a blue/white based and an lutino is always a yellow/green based the ino gene will mask dark factors - example no dark factors skyblue, 1 - cobalt and 2 - mauve, knowing the parents and how many dark factors they have you can make an educated guess if the chick is carrying none, 1 or 2 dark factors. I understand how the ino lut leave just the base color, i just didn't know that you still stated a color, but I can understand why... it gives you a history of what this ino will produce when it comes to the colors of it's chicks in the futrue, right? So how would you say the name of this chick, Ino masking Cobalt split Greywing/Clearwing Hen??? you can do the table and do predications just like any other non-sex mutation so you have a Sky blue x a Mauve that is going to give you all Cobalt chicks okay I understand how you came to the COBALT... that being said, if I told someone I have a.... ??? how would I properly say this chicks name?

Also you stated that the offspring from the greywing are split greywing or clearwing, where does the clearwing fall into play? Full body Greywings are a combination of Clearwing & Greywing So again I have to ask how do you say the name?... The cock would be called a Sky Blue Goldenface (sf) Greywing Clearwing split Ino and Recessive ??? No he would be a Skyblue Goldenface Full Body Clearwing (he is not split to it he is it) split to Ino & Recessive Pied But where did the GREYWING part go, why is that left out of his name now? I don't think I understand this greywing clearwing thing??? Are you saying a Full Body Clearwing IS a Greywing so you don't have to include that part?

Last one, bub #4 from the second pair, the normal, you say will be split for Opaline, if I understand right a hen can't be split for opaline so this must be a cock? Am I right on this? YES, since the female is an opaline the male off spring are split for opaline But I thought the normals in this case could be male or female... what is it that indicates a male split for opaline instead of just a normal hen? What should I be looking for that I'm missing? Non-Opaline female x Opaline male Split your off spring will be 1/2 males split for opaline and 1/2 normals, 1/2 the females are opaline, 1/2 females are non-opaline, non opaline not having the opaline gene doesn't mean they are normals they could be a different mutation, remember mutations can be combined. This part totally lost me... ?? I understand the combo %, but you say 1/2 normals... normal what, hens or cocks?? I'm sorry this part is really messin' with my head.