• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

sounds like he is coming around very nicely :)

Have fun on your night out.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,296
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  79
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  465

:) Thanks Elly! It was a bit of a dozey night.. Everyone was tired after work and all! Oops! I must have had 4 cocktails (one was TERRIBLE! - It was a 'Pear Cinnamontini' - blegh! :P: ), a few vodka, lemon lime and bitters and a sip of beer or two.. So no hangover, just a sleep in! :)Cosmo was/ is fiiiine! He wanted to sleep in too! :) He 'chats' with me occasionally now (especially after a good feed/ pig-out), and seems way more settled!

Cosmo still freaks out (goes hyperactive) when he sees/ hears other birds in the garden. :( He paces at hyper-speed back and forth on his top perch. He also hated me changing his cage liner (very fluttery)! :P But settled quickly after it. I don't know if he likes my dark wooden bracelet.. :)

My partner is convinced that Cosmo is mimicking the sound of the keyboard and mousewheel on here! haha! Oh gees! He looks at us when we say his name, but I am not sure if it just because we interrupt his contemplative time.

Otherwise, he is okay. I should get him out for a little while! (Haven't done so yet today! :wub: ). He is nattering on as I type...

Ciao, a presto/ Mata ne,

MegumiA

Edited by MegumiA

• Member ID:  1,641

:budgiedance: he probably is mimicking the keys on the keyboard it will be talking before you know it.

As for the birds outside you may want to cover his cage a bit when he freaks out on the back or where he can see the window unless he doesn't do it for too long. You don't him to hurt himself going nuts :angry:.

When you change his liner can you do it while he is out for free time? That may help but he will also adjust and know you are not hurting him very soon.

Glad you had a good night out :wine

Well, here are a few more pics..

Yoda:

SMALLERCopyof2005DecNYEYodagettingc.jpg

SMallercopyofYodaonAmandasshoulderD.jpg

COSMO:

SMALLERCopyof09-04-07_1723.jpg

SMALLERCopyof09-04-07_1724.jpg

SMALLERCopyof09-04-07_1725.jpg

Cosmo now has a rectangular white cage.. I think he likes it much more in there! I am not too sure if he is fond of the little feeders, but he still uses them! He loved his honey/ millet seed treat much much more!

Cosmo loves lettuce and carrot! (Lettuce more so!).

I am still trying to tame him - but am finding it hard to find the time to do it.. :P 15 minutes is all he is really getting.. I have missed a couple of days.. :yelling: I hope I am not being a bad budgie owner!

I am trying to convince my Mum and Dad to let me bring Yoda home to my (our) place to help influence Cosmo into being a more friendly and tame boy. It is a 15 minute drive away, and my other (and younger) siblings are concerned about Yoda being too old to travel (he will be 9 years old on Mother's Day). Personally, I think that Yoda would fare better if he came here, rather than Cosmo going to their house (new surroundings, still not even sure of hopping onto my fingers..).

Cosmo finished the seed treat in a week! Best not leave it in his cage - especially at such a young age! Too much honey!!???

And blegh! I have to get to know how to use my camera phone better! Yikes! Fuzzy!

Yoda is cute and Cosmo reminds me of Merlin :blink:

great pics :huh:

:huh: Thanks Elly! Haha! Cosmo does look like Merlin! He also looks like (I can't remember their names!!) a couple of other members' babies too! :angel1: This sounds dumb, but what type of budgie would Cosmo be?

I figure that Cosmo is still a 'baby' - his eyes are still all black. (Got this tip from a site.. not sure if true!?!?).

He is still a little edgy when other birds come by. We live in the inner city of Hobart. Our little place has a balcony upstairs where a grapevine covers the lower pagola and surrounds the balcony - perfect feeding and playing ground for Silvereye and Black Bird birds, plus others. He looks as though he wants to jump out and play with them, but sometimes flutters so much that I move him away from the window or cover the window facing side with his cover.

I really should trim him wings.. Hopefully I don't freak out again and not take him! :blink:

I believe in the first picture I see a white spot on the back of his head? Merlin has a big one too. This would make him a Dominant Pied Violet

His cheek spots are so dark like Merlin's so I don't think he is a cobalt.

Yes you are right his iris rings will come in between 4-6 months, looks like he has had his first molt, his head is nice and white and poofy.

15 mins a day is not much (but if that is all you can give that is okay) just so you know his training will go slower vs someone who has say 2-4 hours that they can dedicate to them. That means having them simply by them, out on their shoulder or on their cage, talking to them. Of course this time can be broken up in periods of in the AM, afternoon, and PM.

I noticed you said you wanted to bring Yoda who is tame over. That could work it may not (Laughing out loud). Not sure how tame Yoda is. My own personal experience Merlin would use Pretty (my tamer one) as a hide behind and it didn't help taming him at all. Now that Pretty passed on just a month ago I am working on bonding with Merlin before even getting another one. Merlin is a very gentle, quiet, not hyper bird vs Pretty who was a nut ball (Laughing out loud).

Anyways, keep working with him. Do you give him millet? If so only offer it to him while you are spending time with him during training therefore it will encourage the bond between you and him.

:angel1: Thanks Elly! You give such wonderful help!

Cosmo's white patch goes from his cere to where you see it in that first picture.. :)

Is millet the grain that is in budgie feed? It looks like it, but I am not too sure..? I'll just go ask and get some from the pet store to be sure! :)

I had Cosmo sitting on a branch, resting on my shoulder, and holding a dish of budgie feed (millet?) up to him.. He ate some, so maybe he felt comfortable enough to eat? He has been on our shoulders a couple of times - but only briefly!

I read that it is a good idea to put some millet in your hand and coax him to get on and eat..? :blink: :feedbirds:

:huh:Yoda is perfectly tame - always eager to get out and play with you (he basically begs to get out and play!). He also gets back in on his own accord when tired! haha! I am not sure how he would go with Cosmo - he has not seen another budgie since joining our family (apart from the odd mirror treat!). I am very curious to see what happens if they do end up near eachother! :P

Anyhoo, I better go and spend some bonding time with Cosimodo! :)

Thanks so much Elly! You are great!

:P:blink:

I was wrong!

Cosmo has his iris rings! :huh:

Grr! How stupid am I? I am sure he will still tame well, but geepers! He must be way old! I feel 1/2 cheated, but I still think he is lovely and cute!

Oh dear...

Oh don't feel cheated (Laughing out loud) Cosmo is gorgeous and so you know Merlin had his iris rings way before the 3 month mark but I think your Cosmo is at least 5 months :blink:.

Saying that millet is a spray where you buy in the bags. You can find it at any pet store even grocery stores carry it. There is different types of millet in the food you are correct. The millet spray to most is like candy so saying that only give to him when you are training, don't keep it in the cage it defeats the purpose. Give millet as a treat ONLY as it is very fattening :huh:.

:wub: You're a gem Elly! Thanks!!

I took my Cosmo boy to the vet yesterday afternoon (luckily too! He had mites from the petshop!! :wub: ).

If I didn't go to the vet today - I would have allowed my poor little Cosmo suffer from the stupid pet store's mites without my knowing! ( I rang the pet store out of concern for the other birds - not to complain - they were rude to me and tried blaming ME! :wub: ). The vet clipped the primary feathers - except for the first 2 on each side.

I brought Cosmo home - he can still fly - but not as fast - which was the whole point! He was flying quite quickly before - going into walls and corners too fast. I was scared that he was going to break a wing/ his neck! He already seems a little more tame. This will also make my job easier to give him his medicine prescribed by the vet. Hopefully the mites nick off very soon!

Clipping Cosmo's wings has not stopped him from being energetic in the slightest!! He sits on my legs and will let me pick him up - though he doesn't hop onto my finger just yet! :mellow: But he does seem to be more willing for us to 'hang out' with him. He sure recognises us - he was looking for me when I took him to the vet! :) I hope I can get his drops in next week on my own! If not I will take him back down to the vet..? His cere is already lookg a lot 'softer'/ clearer than yesterday. The drops stink - but they must work. :) Hooray for an attentive vet! (I would like to go to the one closer - so would it be silly to go to the closer one next time? ?). Oh and you are spot on Elly! The vet said Cosmo would be between 5 and 6 months old. :) Gaahhhh! I love little Cossy! He loves sitting outside with me in the garden too.. Bless him! :P:D

Ooh! He whistles out for us (seemingly). I am upstairs at the minute - he is downstairs. I call his name - and he does a loud chirrup! :) Hopefully he is chirrupping back - and not because he can see other birds! (Laughing out loud)!

Edited by MegumiA

I am very glad the vet visit worked out perfect for you. It feels so good to have a wonderful vet to go too. I know I felt so much better after I took Merlin for a check up to ensure he was okay after Pretty passed. Stay with the vet you are with if you are happy it is worth the drive if you can find someone that fits what you want. I drive 1/2 hour for my dogs/cats vet and we have one down the street. I have been going there for over 20yrs :).

Cool! Yeah - I think it would pay to stay with the same vet! :o Like having the same GP :( The vet was rather tall (nearly 7ft!!!!).

His poopoo is sticking a little to his vent area. I guess this is from having previsously passed some sloppy stuff? I am keeping a very close eye on him today... :wub:

Annnnnd:::

Cosmo flew onto my arm when I went to pick him up! He crawled to my shoulder and was chirping! :angel1:

I wonder if this is because he is slightly unwell? Maybe he likes me!!?? :) He also hopped onto my head and wouldn't get off until he slid down my hair! haha!

Ohh! Elly, (or anyone else!), I remember when we had our first budgie (Cheeky), the pet shop guy clipped all of his flight feathers.

Would it be silly to clip Cosmo's outer primaries? ?? He flew into the window - still quite quickly... *confused and worried!*

Edited by MegumiA

Pretty was clipped when I got him so he figured out fast what to do as he started fly. Merlin was worse even with clipped wings but finally got the point.

Here is a read about to clip or not to clip (I just had the vet reclip Merlin when we where there for his check up so I could work on taming and not chasing) http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/i...d=90&artlang=en

Guest Phoebe
:angry: Hi there, glad it all worked out the vet for you. You can check out the posts on clipping wings and hopefully you will find your answer. (a popular topic it is, for sure!) ;) And I drive almost an hour to get to my avian vet but she is really good.

Okies, and thank you! :)

Cosmo still has his appetite, but keeps checking out his backside and scratching/ preening about. I think the mites are running about and he has worms freaking out.. Not sure, but he seems reasonably okay.. :)

I am wondering whether to clip the last primary feathers.. He still gets quite high and goes seemingly as fast as before.. It's probably best to leave him be for now, but I almost die when he flys near and sometimes hits the windows/ walls. ;)

I was also thinking that maybe the wormy looking thing was just a long bit of poo without the white bit of regular poo? It was a bit more solid than regular poo, but was in a watery mucous.. :angry:

Edited by MegumiA

:wub:Cosmo likes sitting on my shoulders and arms! He also goes to sleep on my lap! eeee!

I was talking to him in Japanese earlier - the sharper sounds ('on' or the 'morae' - eg.: ko, ta, ge..) seem to be of interest to him! My partner knows some Japanese, but I will have to teach him too! The best phrases my partner knows that Cosmo might have a crack at learning are:

* Ahh! I feel relieved after going to the toilet!

* Bring me a beer! (please!)

* How much for the women? :excl: (I did teach my partner that though.. oops!)

* Long time no see.

* Too fast!

* Yummy!

:wub: We'll see!

Today I made a simple, home-made budgie ladder. (I was bored and wanted a colourful ladder for C-boy)

I made this ladder out of:

12 paper clips (regular size) - bent out at the middle flat - so that I still had a hook at each end.

4 drinking straws - (of different and bright colours = cooler!)

1 wire coat hanger

Plyers

scissors

marker pen (not really needed, but makes it faster)

10 minutes or so.

NO GLUE! Simple, can be altered easily, and sort of cute! Anyhoo.. pics are coming..

Edited by MegumiA

Don't mistake itching for preening they do that a lot (every 10 mins) (Laughing out loud) they are preening something.

Sounds like an awesome toy watch out for any sharp ends that could poke) I am sure you did just adding for the general audience :D.

Look foward to pics.

How are the poos?

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Today I made a simple, home-made budgie ladder

I am looking forward to seeing the pics of this too, sounds great!

Feathers

:P:D

Haha, yeah - birds are so vain aren't we, *cough* I mean they? haha! :D I love watching him preen his tail feathers - the curl he does with the longest one is lovely! Even my partner goes 'gaa-gaa' at him doing it!

Yeah - I was going to get him a plain old ladder from the shops, but thought it would be more fun if I made him one! Problem was, I didn't want to use any threads or glue. The paperclips' sharp ends are inside the straw - hopefully he can't gnaw through straw! He keeps looking at it - but I haven't actually seen him on it yet - just his poops are! (Laughing out loud)!

Cosmo has been the best thing that has happened to us in a long time! My partner keeps thanking me for bringing Cosmo home, and says that he calms him! :wub: :angel1: awww..

Cosmo will sit on me for ages, but is still iffy about the fingers. I think he thinks that I am going to either clip him or give him medicine! eek! He'll come round! B)

Pics of the ladder will have to be later tonight (in roughly 9 hours' time.. (Laughing out loud) - my guy took my camera to school today.. oops!).

Time for playing with Cosmo! Its raining at the moment (YAY! Finally some rain!!!!). He looks interested! haha! :(Laughing out loud):

Oh yeah - his poopies are less watery and more consistent. :)

I haven't given him any lettuce or cucumber for the last 2 days, so maybe I can give him some more tomorrow? Is carrot okay for when the poos are a bit sloppy?

Thanks you guys! :)

I haven't given him any lettuce or cucumber for the last 2 days, so maybe I can give him some more tomorrow? Is carrot okay for when the poos are a bit sloppy?

Yep, carrots are great. Instead of giving him the iceberg lettuce, which will make his poops runny, give him darker leaf lettuces, like cos. They are also fond of the chinese greens, like pak choy and bok choy and most of them love brocolli as well.

Cosmo still has his appetite, but keeps checking out his backside and scratching/ preening about.

I just noticed this from an earlier post. The budgies preening gland is under their tail. That's why he keeps rubbing that area. They do it to release preening oils which helf keep their feathers in good shape.

It's fantastic that your partner loves him so much :) They are such sweet little creatures.

Feathers.

Edited by feathers

Ahhh! Thank you Feathers! :)

Carrot and broccoli for Mr. C's lunch! :(Laughing out loud):

Yeah - my guy seems to be acting more like a Daddy nowadays.. :) He said that he didn't realise what great little pets budgies can make! He was always a 'cat person' before.. haha! Cosmo doesn't run away as quickly from his hands compared to mine! :hap: Odd, since I spend much more time with him than he does! ha! All good!

Hmm.. Cosmo is very quiet today.. But he enjoys being out of his cage. :hap:

Well, personally, I think budgies have so much more character than cats (I have 3 but I'm not a cat person). I could sit and watch a budgie at play for hours, but imagine how bored you would be watching a cat. Hmm, sleeping.. Gee wow (2 hours later), it stretched, hmm sleeping again...etc :hap:

With the brocolli and carrots.. try the carrots grated and finely chop the brocolli. Mine seem to prefer 'prepared' vegies, rather than whole pieces :hap:

Feathers.

Yes! Cosmo loves grated carrot! :) He eats it from my fingers too! yay!

:) Haha! Yeah - cats have always been to me - selfish! (not to offend anyone on here! *runs away and hides* ) Whenever my brother wanted a cat - I would complain and say 'But all they do is eat, sleep and runaway!'. :P: Cats can be fun and cute, but birds are way more interesting AND can talk! :) (However :excl: we had 2 cats when I was growing up who would 'talk' with you.. *shrug* ) ahhwell!

Ahh, thanks Phoebe.. :hap: I really hope Jodie improves ASAP! Has she calmed down? Take care of yourself too eh? She needs a strong Mummy! All the best for you and Jodie .. :hap: (no hug emoticons on here..). *prayers*