Help! In Desperate Need Of Assistance

Guest Newbie

Hi There,

My name is Bec and I need some advice if any one can help.

Basically my father had an aviary of budgies and cockatiels but recently passed away, I am his only daughter and have given it allot of though and decided to take the aviary and the birds to my place to look after as my evil step mum was just going to open the door and let them fend for themselves :D

I was around there yesterday working out the best option to transport when i noticed a lieelt babay budie on the ground of the aviary.

He can barley walk as he is just finding his feet and he has just started getting some feathers. My guess would be maybe he is around 2 weeks old.

I have put him in a shoe box with some warm tissues and have fed him some milk arrowroot biccies mushed with warm water. Just wondering what I should do as I would love him/her to survive.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to all of this.

Thanks

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Was there an obvious nest box that he came out of? If so you should put him back in, but keep an eye on him just incase you got the wrong nestbox or the mother doesn't want him anymore and attacks. Although if you get the right nest box he should be fine and the mother is most lkikely to take him back. In regards to hand feeding him, you should buy some handraising formula from the petshop and follow its instructions.

Does he have pin feathers yet? If not he is under two weeks.

For a newly hatched chick you should feed it every 3 hours. I would feed him and then check on him three hours later to see how his crop is. If it is empty or nearly empty , feed him and remember how long it takes in between each feed. Do not over feed him though as he can get sour crop. But that generally only happens if you just keep topping him up. Wait til he is empty or almost empty before feeding him and filling his crop. Feed him as much as he wants.

It hope that helps. :D

Some people with more experience with handraising babies should be on soon. :ausb:

:D Oh dear, there must be some nest box to pop him into. Good on you for taking on the task, seek all the help you can find and check back here too, there are wonderful people here who want to help. :angel1:
:D Oh dear, there must be some nest box to pop him into. Good on you for taking on the task, seek all the help you can find and check back here too, there are wonderful people here who want to help. :angel1:

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I am on the right track which is comforting to know.

He does have pin feathers and has a fluffy little bottom, the only part that doesnt have feathers is his neck and head.

He gets a little noisy at times so i try and leave him alone and only bother him at feeding time.

There are four nesting boxes in the aviary and I am uncertain as too which box he came from.

I will get him some hand raising mix from the pet shop and give him some TLC.

Will report back on his progress soon

Thanks again all.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

If there are any other nesting boxes with babies around the same size and age, you might try putting him into the nest with babies. Parents feed best and easiest and they adopt another budgie baby pretty readily, especially if they dont watch you put the baby in. :D

Welcome to the forum, by the way :ausb:

• Member ID:  3,095
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  515

Hi and welcome :D

i can't offer much advice pretty new to budgies too, but wanted to say a big "Good On You" for looking after the birds, its probably what your father would have wanted. :angel1:

• Member ID:  2,601
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  435
  • Birthday:  30/04/1975

What a sad situation - I'm glad you were there to notice the little one before it was too late, not to mention saving the whole flock.

I can't offer advice on caring for the baby but I can share gumby budgie stories with you when you get them all settled :D

Best of luck with it all; you're in the best place to find all the help you need.

Thank you all sooo much for your comments. yes my father would be very happy to know they are still in the family and being looked after. It was a big decision as caring for animals isnt easy but i hope with some practice ill get there. I rescue animals quite often, I think they know i could never turn my back on an animal in need.

Just a quick update on harry if i may, he has survived with me for 2 days now and is eating very well (every 3-4 hours) which I hope is correct. he wanted to socialize a little last night so i left the lid of the box just for 10 minutes or so for him to have a little look around then back off to sleep he went.

To me he seems well but i still have my fingers crossed as i dont think he is in the safety zone just yet.

Can anyone tell me how old they are when they start getting their full feathers?

Thanks again,

Bec

Thank you all sooo much for your comments. yes my father would be very happy to know they are still in the family and being looked after. It was a big decision as caring for animals isnt easy but i hope with some practice ill get there. I rescue animals quite often, I think they know i could never turn my back on an animal in need.

Just a quick update on harry if i may, he has survived with me for 2 days now and is eating very well (every 3-4 hours) which I hope is correct. he wanted to socialize a little last night so i left the lid of the box just for 10 minutes or so for him to have a little look around then back off to sleep he went.

To me he seems well but i still have my fingers crossed as i dont think he is in the safety zone just yet.

Can anyone tell me how old they are when they start getting their full feathers?

Thanks again,

Bec

Sounds good so far. Full feathers appear at around 3 and a half to 4 weeks. :D

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

To add to Karen info, they start to fledge around 4 to 6 weeks. He little harry is still in your care by the end of the week I would start offering some seed, he may simply play around in it to start with. Millet is a good seed for them to learn to crack open on they own.

I'm glad you felt you could take them on, it's a big jump into ownership of budgies to start off with a whole flock (breeding flock as well).

Feel free to ask all questions that come to you :P and welcome.

Edited by Nerwen

Just wondering also, what your plans are for when you move the birds and aviary ? If you have breeding budgies with nests babies and eggs, you may want to wind down their breeding phase before you move the lot. Moving babies, nests and eggs, can be stressful and a lot of mothers abandon their nestboxes if things change around them. Have you worked out which ones are breeding, nesting etc ? Happy to help with advice :blink:

Just wondering also, what your plans are for when you move the birds and aviary ? If you have breeding budgies with nests babies and eggs, you may want to wind down their breeding phase before you move the lot. Moving babies, nests and eggs, can be stressful and a lot of mothers abandon their nestboxes if things change around them. Have you worked out which ones are breeding, nesting etc ? Happy to help with advice :blink:

I have an idea which box he may have come from but not 100% certain. Ill have a look on the weekend and see if any other boxes have babies or not. if so i think ill start to take the cockatiels and get them settled which will give the others time to establish, please feel free to offer a better option as i want them to settle in easy.

thanks again guys for all your help, it is very appreciating and im very grateful

• Member ID:  1,592
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  817
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,305

Have the cockatiels been living in the same enclosure with the budgies? Or separately?

Guest Newbie

Just wanted to give an update on little harry, he is doing very well, I have him out with me when i get home as he loves company and a little chit chat. He is starting to experiment with the different sounds he can make which is lovely to hear. He is my little darling and is so spoilt

We moved my dads aviary over on the weekend as there were no eggs or babies and they have settled in very nicely. I have put a few toys in there for them which they are loving!!

I am very much an animal person but never really had an interest for birds up until now.

Every morning i get up and have a coffee before work and listen to them singing, i give them thier breakfast and off to work I go.

we live in a bushy area and allot of minor birds around which I was concerned about but dont have to worry anymore as I also have two little dogs whom i have noticed stand gaurd of the aviary and bark at any birds that even want to come close which has seemed to scare them away so the doggies get treats of an afternoon for protecting the new additions to the family.

Sorry about my babling on... I am just sooo excited to have them around and never realised how much joy they can bring and i hope my dad is very proud...

That is all

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Sounds like all is working out for you, great! :) And I think most members would agree that the cockatiels and budgies be separated as budgies can get pretty nasty sometimes (and vice versa). Hopefully your aviary is able to be split easily into 2 sections. :)

All sounds great. Big pats on the back for you doing what your Dad would have been proud of :angel1:

We would love to see some photos when you can manage it. :)

Guest Newbie
All sounds great. Big pats on the back for you doing what your Dad would have been proud of :angel1:

We would love to see some photos when you can manage it. :ausb:

thanks Bubbles :)

Yes I am going to take some photos over the weekend so I shall post them soon :)

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

I am so glad you have taken the budgies, and it sounds like they will enjoy a long and happy life with your love and care!

Good luck with little Harry - I can't wait to see pics of the little guy and the rest of your flock :ausb:

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

wow , l can't believe l just noticed this post :(

first off l would like to say Hi and Welcome .

secondly , l'm really sorry to hear of your father's passing .

It was very nice that you decided to continue to look after his flock and that you are doing such a wonderful job at it .

as for your questions , Tweety looks like a female to me .

l'm not 100% sure about Harry but to me he looks like a female too .

they both are beautiful :D

l can hardly wait to see more pics of your budgies and aviary .

Edited by birdluv

• Member ID:  1,938
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,201
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,740

They are both very pretty. You are such a good person to take all the birdies home :angel1: . Harry looks really good, great job on raising him/her. I would be really afraid to handfeed.

Guest Newbie
wow , l can't believe l just noticed this post :(

first off l would like to say Hi and Welcome .

secondly , l'm really sorry to hear of your father's passing .

It was very nice that you decided to continue to look after his flock and that you are doing such a wonderful job at it .

as for your questions , Tweety looks like a female to me .

l'm not 100% sure about Harry but to me he looks like a female too .

they both are beautiful :D

l can hardly wait to see more pics of your budgies and aviary .

thank you birdluv, yes i am an animal lover and can bear to see any harm come to any animal, especially if its something we can stop happening. Yeah I thought tweety was a girl and yeah I had a feeling Harry might be also from reading other posts about determining sex.

Oh well just have to call Harry Harriet :hap:

They are both very pretty. You are such a good person to take all the birdies home :angel1: . Harry looks really good, great job on raising him/her. I would be really afraid to handfeed.

Thanks Zebra, yes I was very scared especially as I had no idea what to do to feed him but I knew that if i didnt do something he wouldnt survive. So i spent hours on here reading up about different things and caring for birds and great info into practice and geverything is going well so i owe my success to all of you guys :)