Help?

Guest Shellball

Guest Shellball

I recently posted about my girl Sherbie. I was concerned that since I was told that she was a recessive pied that she might be a he, since the boys that are R pied have pink ceres. I was told she was a she but maybe not recessive. Well I don't know about which pied she is, but now she is behaving in a way that makes me wonder about gender again!!!

For the last six months, her mate Shadow has been trying to mate with her, flirting, bobbing, feeding and so on... she had been acting like a typical out of season girl and kicking him off or side stepping and such, but now... she is trying to mount him. I just don't get it. I have not heard of females doing this particular thing. What the heck is going on? :D:):D

:(

Shell

Edit:

She is the first picture in my sig

Edited by Shellball

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Occasionally females do this as a form of domination....putting him in his place so to speak. But it usually is only a brief thing and doesn't continue. I have hens that do this. Males will head bob and court with females and other males too.

Only thing is, it doesn't help with your confusion as to gender of your bird. With time, a recessive pied hen develops the brownish look to the cere. So maybe its just a case of lots more clear photos till we work it out or wait till the cere may or may not change colour :D

Guest Shellball

:D:D this is just peachy! They are my favorite pair and have been together since I got her. I was really looking forward to seeing their babies. I hope she is female. :( We shall see. I may yet have to reajust my thinking.

:)

Shell

• Member ID:  198
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Shell, how old do you think she is? If she is close to a year and her cere is still pink, she is more than likely a he......

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have the same problem with a 2 yr old white lacewing. I am still waiting to see whether its male or female. I watch closely for signs of behaviour but so far he/she isnt interested in any of the opposite sex....whomever the opposite sex might be. :D

Guest Shellball

:D:D Oh Karen! That is a serious giggle. I'm sorry. I suppose I shouldn't laugh about it but these budgies have a way of taking over our lives and then turning us upside down. It just goes to show that we cannot have any real specific expectations when it comes to these little clowns. Just have to love them. :feedbirds:

:(

Shell

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

A Recessive Pied I got off Daz was difficult to sex for about 6 months. This bird would head bob, flirt & even tried to mount - at different times - 2 male budgies, which they weren't keen on. It has since become apparent that this bird is indeed female!

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

My daughter's albino looked seriously male until about 2 weeks ago when the cere turned a very light beige colour.. So Alalard has just become Adelene.. :P Some can be really hard to pick.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

do you have any recent pics of her cere without a flash?