• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Thanks S_C!

Yes I have thought of my fallow pairings quite closely. You'll see that both the cock and the hen are heavy bodied "dumpy" kind of birds. I really don't want to double up on that plus I've had a lot of trouble with my fallows breeding dwarfs and spastic (kind describe it any other way) birds and I really want to outcross into another line altogether for some visuals. The hen in pair 19 is bred from some very strong Jean Horrobin fallows so hopefully that's far enough removed from the cock bird to give me some fresh genetics as well as the possibility of popping out something nice. The hen in pair 19 is also much stronger in the facial features than the hen in 21 who is more an example of an older style of bird. It's just bit hard to see that distinction with my slap dash photography :)

Ah yes I see the heavy bodied bit now. I just thought, with the cocks head and the hens well not so good head, but I can see what you mean now. The blue fallow hen is also pulling it looks like, so that may be why I can't see the face feautures so much. Your photography is pretty good :D Thankyou so much for the explanation, your an angel :):)

Edited by KAZ
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I like your pairings, Nubbly. :blink: I was just going to skim through them all, but once I started, I couldn't help reading every word! :laughter: I kept finding myself thinking " I can't wait to see what babies this pair produces." Eventually I realized that you have more than I would be able to keep track of! So when those stunner babies start coming along, I will need you to remind me which parents they belong to. :D

It sure is exciting to pair them up and then dream of what their possiblitlies can be.

I especially like your clearwings. The wing-body contrast is so striking!

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Thanks Finnie and all! Yes Finnie, this year I will catalogue the chicks against which pair it came from so that you (and I) can follow the different pairs progress.

But already we have had a bit of a disaster! The cock bird in pair 4 was looking a bit worse for wear yesterday and on examination appears to have maybe a ruptured proventriculus (crop) or something else a bit wierd going on there. The crop of the bird hangs down past the start of the breast bone......

sickone.jpg

So he has gone into the hospital cage. I can only wait and see if he recovers - but he does seem happier in the warm. His girl has been put back out into the flight as she was already bonded to him and it would have been too big a risk to put another cock in with her, lest she kill him (can't afford that!).

They have been replaced with:

Pair 4:

Normal Grey Green x Cinnamon Opaline Light Green - The cock I recently purchased from Mark Chidel in an effort to get some different feather qualities into my stud. The hen is daughter to my 10th place Nats green boy to the Normal Dark green hen so she is sister to all the young dark green cocks and is the proof that my normal/normal line was defintely anything but! Hoping she doesn't pass on too much of that flecking. It's interesting that she is o heavily flecked as neither of her parents are.....

pair4new-round1.jpg

Actually I do juggle pairs around a bit to start with particularly if a pair have not bonded and got into the nest box within a week or so. I will update any changes.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I hope your bird makes a full recovery Nubbly, your new pair look good, I like the Mark Chidel cock :laughter:

Thanks Splat!

Yeah, he's very nice. When I got him and another grey green from Mark I was thinking that they are nowhere near breeding condition but then I put this fellow into my hen flight as him and his buddy were just that little bit too bonded to each other (gay budgies!!!) for my liking. He immediately zero-ed in on the hen of his choice - the one I've put him with - which was a nice pick by all accounts, so I'll give him a shot and see how he goes, can always use them as fosters for the first round if he doesn't fill his eggs I suppose.

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Your birds are stunning Nubbly :D I was curious about your fallow pair 19. I was told not to pair fallow-fallow and I'm not sure why. Does it wash out wing markings or something?

Edited by rachelm

Yes it does reduce both wing and body colour. The body color on fallows is supposed to be approx 50% of a normals intensity but at some stage you need to breed more visual fallows to work with and that's the stage that I'm at right now. Happily both the fallows in that pairing have very good body colour so hopefully it's not too much of an issue. The hen in pair 21 for example is too lightly coloured.

Edited by nubbly5

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Yes it does reduce both wing and body colour. The body color on fallows is supposed to be approx 50% of a normals intensity but at some stage you need to breed more visual fallows to work with and that's the stage that I'm at right now. Happily both the fallows in that pairing have very good body colour so hopefully it's not too much of an issue. The hen in pair 21 for example is too lightly coloured.

Thank you for explaining. I understand now :D

Latest update.

All bar 3 pairs (not including the recently changed pair 4) have been in exploring and re-arranging their nestboxes to suit, but too early to expect eggs yet. The 3 not exploring are pair 16, pair 13 and pair 21. All these hens bar pair 21 are 2010 rung birds so I might be asking a bit much of them just yet. I vaguely remember having the same problem with the hen in pair 21 last year (my crappy recording though, I didn't write that down anywhere.....oops). So I'm thinking of changing the hens in pairs 13 and 16 and replacing pair 21 with a pair of newly arrived fallows from the Pine Rivers auction.

Will update pics when I get them done.

But already we have had a bit of a disaster! The cock bird in pair 4 was looking a bit worse for wear yesterday and on examination appears to have maybe a ruptured proventriculus (crop) or something else a bit wierd going on there. The crop of the bird hangs down past the start of the breast bone......

sickone.jpg

So he has gone into the hospital cage. I can only wait and see if he recovers - but he does seem happier in the warm.

I'm sorry about this guy. :) I hope he gets better.

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

i never heard of that thig that cock bird has do you know how it happens

i think that may of been what fred had remember my disabled lacewing chick ???

also will it get better how does it afect the bird all the :) norm questions

Edited by GenericBlue

i never heard of that thig that cock bird has do you know how it happens

i think that may of been what fred had remember my disabled lacewing chick ???

also will it get better how does it afect the bird all the :) norm questions

I've actually never seen it before GB. It LOOKS like a ruptured crop but the bird is now looking very healthy and happy in the heat box although his crop still looks pendulous and saggy. I would have thought if the crop was actually perforated that his health would have deteriorated significantly by now. Instead he is busting out of his little skin. I haven't even treated him with any antibiotics even though I thought maybe I should if his crop is perforated. So maybe it's just distended, why I don't know. I have no idea if it will revert to it's original position or if it'll just stay that way........

I'll let you know how he progresses.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Looks like a bird or two I have had........diagnosed as a ruptured air sac.

AIR SAC RUPTURE

Birds have a series of air sacs located internally. These are in the neck area (cervical air sacs), the chest (thoracic air sacs) and in the belly (abdominal air sacs). These areas are part of a bird’s breathing system and help the bird receive oxygen from the air in a highly efficient manner. They also help provide the lightness and buoyancy needed for flight.

Occasionally, one of these air sacs may rupture (usually due to injury) and air will leak from the sac and accumulate under the bird’s skin. This condition is known as subcutaneous emphysema. This accumulation must be removed, or the air sac may tear even further.

WHAT TO DO ( if you feel qualified .....otherwise seek an avian vet........preferred choice )

Clean the skin over the swelling with a disinfectant on a cotton ball. Take a small scissors or a needle and make a tiny hole in the skin. This allows the air to escape. This may need to be done several times before the air is released. It has been shown that air sacs normally repair themselves within two weeks. However, if you see no improvement within a day or two, your avian veterinarian should see the bird. It is probably a good idea to have the bird seen anyway.

Edited by KAZ

Looks like a bird or two I have had........diagnosed as a ruptured air sac.

So ruptured air sac. Does this mean the crop displaces? I could actually feel the seed in the crop way lower down than it should be. And it gets bigger and smaller as the bird eats etc. Is that like yours too? and if so what was the treatment or outcome?

okay i was typing as you were editing. No this is not it. It's definitely seed in the crop not air under the skin. I can feel the actual seeds and move them around but the crop feels distended and flaccid. It's hard to explain but it's maybe more like a herniated something..... allowing the crop to travel down the neck..... that's the only way I can explain it.

Edited by nubbly5

the way I understand it is .............if the air sac ruptures the air is displaced in the body cavity. This can happen by injury or trauma ( he may have fallen while mating ? maybe ? ). Mine had other issues going on also and they didnt last the distance.

No this is not it. It's definitely seed in the crop not air. I can feel the actual seeds and move them around. It's hard to explain but it's maybe more like a herniated something..... allowing the crop to travel down the neck..... that's the only way I can explain it.
If the airsac is ruptured then the crop is allowed to drop into that space.

the way I understand it is .............if the air sac ruptures the air is displaced in the body cavity. This can happen by injury or trauma ( he may have fallen while mating ? maybe ? ). Mine had other issues going on also and they didnt last the distance.
No this is not it. It's definitely seed in the crop not air. I can feel the actual seeds and move them around. It's hard to explain but it's maybe more like a herniated something..... allowing the crop to travel down the neck..... that's the only way I can explain it.
If the airsac is ruptured then the crop is allowed to drop into that space.

Ahh okay. It's probably that then.

Did you manage to treat your birds and how. There is no accumulated air to release but the crop is well and truely displaced. He does seem pretty happy in himself though so I'm not sure what else I could be doing to help him.

Looks like he can be fixed but may need an avian vet to attend to it :)

My birds didnt get that chance........they had other issues as well.

Looks like he can be fixed but may need an avian vet to attend to it :)

Sorry to all the birdie lovers out there but several hundred dollars for a vet bill and at least a 400km round trip to get there means that this little guy will have to take his chances with my ministrations. If it is what you suspect then surgery on what amounts to a $100 or so budgie is out of the question.

As it is he seems pretty happy so maybe he'll cope just fine with his crop sagging between his knees (god knows mine is just about there too!).

It can sometimes fix itself apparently.

As it is he seems pretty happy so maybe he'll cope just fine with his crop sagging between his knees (god knows mine is just about there too!).

Oh, Nubbly! :)

:):D:) :) :rofl:

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Looks like he can be fixed but may need an avian vet to attend to it :huh:

Sorry to all the birdie lovers out there but several hundred dollars for a vet bill and at least a 400km round trip to get there means that this little guy will have to take his chances with my ministrations. If it is what you suspect then surgery on what amounts to a $100 or so budgie is out of the question.

well i have a 06 cock in my flight that i was lent to try breed with and i decided not to as i realized he had extra skin like i couldn't explain or understand

but this is exactly what he looks like so im going to assume its same thing and why he has never breed for them apparently he has as always looked same :question:

i just thought he had saggy skin

Well had our first egg today but it had a little porous line at the pointy end and was stoved in so threw that one away, but boding well for the keenness of the hens. It was from pair 8 - Dark Green Opaline Spangle x Normal Dark Green

pair8-round1.jpg

I have also changed all of the pairs that were not showing any interest in going into the nest. Pair 13, 16 and 21.

So pair 13 is now:

Dilute x Dark Green Clearwing - this is one nice clearwing hen but a little more heavily marked than the previous one.

pair13a-round1.jpg

Pair 16 is now:

Olive Clearwing x Violet Clearwing - more heavily marked than the previous hen but not as bad as some of the hens I've got and she'll add more style to the cock.

pair16a-round1.jpg

Pair 21 is now:

Normal Cobalt/Fallow x Normal Light Green/Fallow - Both these birds came from Jean Horrobin, the cobalt from the Brasea auction and the hen as a freebie in my last lot of birds from the Pine River Auction. BUT the cock doesn't feel full behind the vent so I'm expecting that unless he really kicks in over the next week or so that these guys will be fosters for the first round. I was pretty stuck for cocks though so there is little choice I'm afraid. He looked shell shocked and worse for wear when he arrived, very light on too but over the last week he has settled in and is starting to look respectable again.

pair21a-round1.jpg

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

good luck you must have a lot off birds i like that spangle cock nice bird

Thanks Dude, I've got about 160 birds currently.