• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Even we pet type breeders have the same limits Dave, :huh: I'd put down as many pairs as I had cages, then you see another pair and wonder "what would those two produce" . When I have to keep max number I can keep in mind, I have to let my head rule my heart , sigh !! and wait for next time.

Talk about addictive !!

Could your d.f. hen be fertile and not Quiche? or would she still lay if that was the case? Just wondering. ;)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I am well aware of my space limitations Robyn. My issue is when Renee is seeking to tell me that I have a busy life and I do not have time for more when she really has no idea. That was my issue.

As for the other pairs, yes, that is annoying in a way. Even more annoying when there is a hen in the aviary (not sure which one) laying eggs off a perch as she has nowhere to nest - :lol:

As for Quiche, I know his hen is fertile and able to breed. Quiche has never bred before so he may not know what to do, or because of his feather issues, he may not be able to mount the hen to mate.

Update time

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 2 chicks now look good - 2 fertile eggs remaining

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 4 chicks now - 2 eggs remaining

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 2 chick - 3 eggs

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 2 chicks and well fed - 3 eggs remaining

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - hen is soon to lay hopefully

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - still no bonding. hen naps on the bottom of the cage

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - eggs candled and removed.

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Preening and feeding, preparing for Round 2

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well (DMC 001 12)

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Double Factor Yellow Spangle Hen - looks like 1 egg may be fertile - if this does not hatch by friday this pair will be "redistributed"

Pair 11 - Green Cock to a GreyGreen Hen - none of the 10 eggs layed were fertile. I have my doubts about the hen. i have removed the nestbox, they will get a couple of days recovery, then a new pair will be put in.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - no other eggs are fertile

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen - 6 eggs - not sure if any eggs are fertile - might be too early to tell.

Pair 15 - Violet Opaline Cock to a Grey Hen - 7 eggs

Garage

Pair 16 - Quiche (GreyGreen Opaline Spangle Cock) to a DF White Spangle Hen - if no movement in the next 5 days, the nestbox will be removed. Not sure what will happen from there.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Can the pair in the garage hear or see activity in the aviary ? Could it be too far away or too quiet for encouraging mating behaviour ?

also a hen napping in the bottom of the cage is a worry...........I would pull her out.

• Member ID:  4,388
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420

Really Dave you can only have as many Breeding Cabinets as you have time to look after everyone. And you lead a very full and busy life so I think perhaps less is more in your case laugh.gif

I disagree Renee. There is an old saying that says "If you want something, you will make time for it". My restrictions are space, not time.

So whilst I am sure that your comment above was genuine, the "less is more" argument in my case is utter rubbish. Sorry. That is just the way it is here.

Oh no no no no nooooooo. ohmy.gif

This is what happens when I am flippant. laugh.gif

I am so sorry you took what I said so seriously Dave. smile.gif

Can the pair in the garage hear or see activity in the aviary ? Could it be too far away or too quiet for encouraging mating behaviour ?

also a hen napping in the bottom of the cage is a worry...........I would pull her out.

The pair in the garage can definitely hear the birds in the breeding room as well as the ones in the aviary. we have had rain today and now we have sun, so the birds are chirping like there is no tomorrow.

Napping is probably the wrong word. She is not sick, definitely not sick. She is just a young hen finding her way. It is actually funny, not worrying. You know when you see a bird doing a complete twist by hanging on the side of the cage and twisting inside out? Well she is like this.

I will monitor her closely though.

I am putting a new pair down in a few days, so it might be two new pairs if I am not happy with her.

Really Dave you can only have as many Breeding Cabinets as you have time to look after everyone. And you lead a very full and busy life so I think perhaps less is more in your case laugh.gif

I disagree Renee. There is an old saying that says "If you want something, you will make time for it". My restrictions are space, not time.

So whilst I am sure that your comment above was genuine, the "less is more" argument in my case is utter rubbish. Sorry. That is just the way it is here.

Oh no no no no nooooooo. ohmy.gif

This is what happens when I am flippant. laugh.gif

I am so sorry you took what I said so seriously Dave. smile.gif

okay, apology accepted Renee.

The eldest in the nest of Dumb and the light green spangle (Pair 4) was found dead in the nestbox this morning. It was not a surprise as the little one was always very pale. When you see this you have your doubts that the little ones will survive. You want little pinkies, not little faded out's. The younger sibling is the normal more vibrant colour so that is good.

No more hatchings to report. All looks good.

With little happening yesterday, it seems like a maternity ward in there last night.

Update time

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 1 fertile egg remaining

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - 1 eggs remaining

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - still only the 1 chick but quite a few eggs remaining

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - after losing the eldest pale chick they are now back to 2 good looking chicks - 2 eggs remaining

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - nestbox added today

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - preening and looking for round 2

Pair 8 - Cobalt Cinnamon Cock to a Sky Cinnamon Hen - Hen to lay anyday now

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen(?)

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Double Factor Yellow Spangle Hen - looks like 1 egg may be fertile - if this does not hatch by friday this pair will be "redistributed"

Pair 11 - Green Cock to a GreyGreen Hen - none of the 10 eggs layed were fertile. I have my doubts about the hen. i have removed the nestbox, they will get a couple of days recovery, then a new pair will be put in.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 2 chicks (DMC 003 12) - the eldest will be a an opaline dommie pied like mum - probably grey

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - all three are rung now

Pair 14 - Captain Jack (Light Green Cinnamon Cock) to an Albino Hen - 6 eggs - not sure if any eggs are fertile - might be too early to tell.

Garage

Pair 16 - Quiche (GreyGreen Opaline Spangle Cock) to a DF White Spangle Hen - if no movement in the next 5 days, the nestbox will be removed. Not sure what will happen from there.

Very pleased that all young look healthy with a total of 17 chicks and a few more eggs to hatch hopefully

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

17 chicks is great, I know it could be much better , the same here but the way I see it at the moment any chick is better than nothing and just have to pray they all live, that's here anyway Dave.

All up here i have 14 babies in the aviary of 28 breeding cages 1st round, 25 babies in the holding cages second round and out of 28 cages and this round so far 12 chicks out of the 28 cages and one 2 day old chick was dead this morning.

I have 16 cages all up, with one not very hopeful in the garage with Quiche, but 17 chicks all up after round 1. I am very pleased with this Splat.

The surprise has been the albino hen - great mother and very fertile with 5 chicks and 1 egg still to go.

A lot of 1st time mothers as well, so that is good.

I took some pics of the chicks in the nest, plus a new pair.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks - 2 lutino hens and one cock

P1010007-1.jpg

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 2 chicks

P1010006-1.jpg

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen

P1010005-1.jpg

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 2 chicks - I might need to foster the youngest due to the age gap

P1010002-2.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - all three are rung now

P1010004-1.jpg

Also new photos of Pair 6 - and yes, she has a drop of Ivermectin about 2 days ago. She will be fine.

P1010012-1.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010001-1.jpg

Edited by Dave_McMinn

Excellent photos Dave! smile.gif Your chickies look really good too wub.gif

Update time

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 2 red eyes

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - I think twitch is split blue, opaline and cinnamon. Mum (Albino) could be masking blue or grey,opaline or cinnamon. i do not know. Oldest looks blue or grey though.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - still only the 1 chick but quite a few eggs remaining

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - after losing the eldest pale chick they are now back to 2 good looking chicks - 2 eggs remaining

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - nestbox being examined by hen

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - preening and looking for round 2

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen(?)

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - new pair put in today. Experienced hen might be more useful here. We will see. Probably last chance for her to breed age wise - no nestbox yet.

Pair 11 - Sky blue cinnamon wing cock to greygreen hen - these two paired up in the aviary and were already mating. I gave them a nestbox straight away the hen went straight in there. She might be ready to lay already. We will see.

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - the youngest looked to have hatched too early, and so it passed away. sad.

Garage

Pair 16 - Quiche (GreyGreen Opaline Spangle Cock) to a DF White Spangle Hen - No movement means this paring might be scrapped altogether.

Edited by Dave_McMinn

So I put Pair 11 down about 2 hours ago, thinking they would need a box soon. Anyway, i just did a quick check as the hen was in the nestbox, and she has already layed her first egg. I am feeling a little psychic as the moment, so grab a pen and paper as the lotto numbers for the next draw are .............. :lol:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

So I put Pair 11 down about 2 hours ago, thinking they would need a box soon. Anyway, i just did a quick check as the hen was in the nestbox, and she has already layed her first egg. I am feeling a little psychic as the moment, so grab a pen and paper as the lotto numbers for the next draw are .............. :lol:

LMAO :D :D :D

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Has the hen been running with the cock.

Because 2 hours,is not long enough. :rolleyes:

Lucky you are here Macka or I would not have known - :P

Yes, they have been paired up in the aviary for a little while now and if any other cock even goes near this hen, the cock shoo's them away very fast.

Not much to report, 1 new chick born. Steady as she goes otherwise.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 2 red eyes - some fostered eggs but no expecting much from them

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - I think twitch is split blue, opaline and cinnamon. Mum (Albino) could be masking blue or grey,opaline or cinnamon. i do not know. Oldest looks blue or grey though.

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - 1 egg remaining

Pair 6 - Opaline Grey to a Light Green Cinnamon Hen - nestbox being examined by hen

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline cock(?)

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - new pair put in today. Experienced hen might be more useful here. We will see. Probably last chance for her to breed age wise - no nestbox yet.

Pair 11 - Sky blue cinnamon wing cock to greygreen hen - these two paired up in the aviary and were already mating. I gave them a nestbox straight away the hen went straight in there. 1 egg layed but she was unhappy with this so she removed it. This pair might want to start anew. Who knows what hens think?!?!?!?!

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - Dommie pied grey cock?

Garage

Pair 16 - Quiche (GreyGreen Opaline Spangle Cock) to a DF White Spangle Hen - No movement means this paring might be scrapped altogether.

I am starting to look at the colours that are beginning to emerge on the little ones.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 2 red eyes. Too young to tell colours but all INO's should be Lutino's as Mum is the offspring of a Green and a GreyGreen, so she is not split blue. Nice that all three offspring will be split blue.

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - I think twitch is split blue, opaline and cinnamon. Mum (Albino) could be masking blue or grey,opaline or cinnamon. I do not know. Oldest looks like a sky blue whilst the next looks to be either sky or grey. Too early to tell on the youngest three.

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber(RIP)(Opaline Violet Sky Spangle) and daughter of Twitch (Grey Dommie Pied) - still only the 1 chick and only now getting down, so too early to tell.

Pair 4 - Dumb (Opaline Sky Spangle) and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - all to young to tell

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a light green opaline cock(?)

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - Dommie pied grey cock?

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - the oldest looks to be a light green normal, the second look to be an opaline grey and the third is too young to tell.

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Yes, they have been paired up in the aviary for a little while now and if any other cock even goes near this hen, the cock shoo's them away very fast.

To continue on,had you not moved them from the Avery,she would of layed on the floor.Will be interesting,to see if the egg is fertile & if it is to that cock,

will you be able to tell,if they hatch.Will have to keep us informed Dave,

To continue on,had you not moved them from the Avery,she would of layed on the floor.Will be interesting,to see if the egg is fertile & if it is to that cock,

will you be able to tell,if they hatch.Will have to keep us informed Dave,

Seems you are not keeping up with reading this thread Macka. The hen had already thrown the egg out, so there will no hope of fining out if the egg would have ended up fertile. She has layed a new egg tonight and she is already sitting on this egg. Let's hope this one see out its full duration. The pair, as I said, were bonded in the aviary and there had been a hen laying an egg off a perch before this pair were added to the breeding shed.

This pair looks the most promising of all the new pairs. We will see what develops with the others.

I doubt there will be any more chicks in the 1st round so i will update you on where things stand as time progresses to Round 2. I will also mention colours that are becoming visible.

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 2 red eyes - all just beginning to get down

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - I think twitch is split blue, opaline and cinnamon. Mum (Albino) could be masking blue or grey,opaline or cinnamon. i do not know. Oldest looks blue whilst the next will be either blue or grey.4 chicks have rings on

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick with white down so we have a hen - she has been rung

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - too early to tell the coloure

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - cannot be a cock as Mum is not opaline

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - nestbox added

Pair 11 - Sky blue cinnamon wing cock to greygreen hen - these two paired up in the aviary and were already mating. I gave them a nestbox straight away the hen went straight in there. 1 egg layed

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - Dommie pied sky blue cock?

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - the eldest is a sky blue, means both birds are split blue, second might also be blue, or could be grey - too early to tell on the youngest

Garage

Not much to report so far today.

I rung two of the chicks in the nestbox of Pair 1 - the male and the eldest lutino hen.

I also had to return the chick from the nestbox of Pair 9 to the nestbox. She is not ready to leave just yet as she does not have enough feather cover, still a lot of down. I will watch Mum over the next few days to see if the little one left of her own accord, or Mum thought it was a good idea. I think the earlier one actually so I am not overly worried.

All other pairs without chicks are preening and the pine shavings in all nestboxes have been disturbed, so that is a good sign.

Today's update before I am off to my Weight watchers weigh in

Pair 1 - Caesar and GreyGreen Hen - 3 chicks now - 2 red eyes - all just beginning to get down

Pair 2 - Twitch and Albino Hen - 5 chicks now - I think twitch is split blue, opaline and cinnamon. Mum (Albino) could be masking blue or grey,opaline or cinnamon. i do not know. Oldest looks cinnamon sky blue whilst the next will be either blue or grey.4 chicks have rings on

Pair 3 - Son of Dumber (RIP) and daughter of Twitch - 1 chick with white down so we have a hen - she has been rung

Pair 4 - Dumb and Light Green Spangle Hen - 3 chicks - too early to tell the colours

Pair 5 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to Green Hen - hen is checking out the nestbox

Pair 7 - Grey Cock to an Opaline Grey Spangle Hen - first egg in round 2 has been layed

Pair 9 - YF Opaline Sky Cock to a Light Green Spangle Hen - 1 chick going very well - a green opaline hen - cannot be a cock as Mum is not opaline

Pair 10 - GreyGreen Cinnamon Cock to a Green Hen - hen has checked out the nestbox

Pair 11 - Sky blue cinnamon wing cock to greygreen hen - these two paired up in the aviary and were already mating. I gave them a nestbox straight away the hen went straight in there. 2 egg layed

Pair 12 - Green Cock to a Grey/Blue Opaline Dominant Pied Hen - 1 chick (DMC 003 12) - Dommie pied sky blue cock?

Pair 13 - Grey Cock to a GreyGreen Cinnamon Opaline Hen - 3 chicks - great mum - the eldest is a sky blue cinnamon wing, means both birds are split blue, second is also sky blue - too early to tell on the youngest

Garage

Isn't it time you gave Quiche a new hen or something?