• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So we have bought some budgies, :D this years but not leg banded. As we intend getting more budgies & breeding we would like to band those we have already got that aren't banded and start recording information for record purposes.

We know we cant use the closed bands so assume? we have to use the split plastic bands? As these are not numbered what sort of information do members put on the bands and with what, indelible pen? What colour should we get for this year? We are in NSW... I say this because I think different states may have different colours???? Maybe wrong.

Many thanks in anticipation.

• Member ID:  4,671
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  7,755
  • Birthday:  12/09/1994

the ring's that we have we have groined a budgie club and the colors go by the year 2009 rings are red and 2010 rings are blue

but you can get split plastic bands we have tham to tell yous what thay are split like a have a normal green hen split clearwing i will have a blue or green or red what ever you want

but for you i would go to a pet shop and see what you can get

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

You can purchase split metal bands but most pet shops don't usually have them. You can get them through Lentra Direct or Chapman Rings.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Mostly information is recorded via the closed metal rings. I assume from RIP's post that there might be numbered split metal bands? But most of us show breeders use the numbered closed metal band (with our own breeding code plus a unique number etched into them) and put them on babies before their foot grows too big. The split plastic bands as Shannon says are just used to indicate quickly if a bird is split for a certain variety so you don't have to go back to your records to tell.

For me blue bands a split lacewing, red bands are split fallow, green bands are split clearwing, purple bands are split blackeyed self. Nothing written on them just as an indicator of what the bird is split for. The records are kept from the closed leg rings unique number.

• Member ID:  5,640
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65

Mostly information is recorded via the closed metal rings. I assume from RIP's post that there might be numbered split metal bands? But most of us show breeders use the numbered closed metal band (with our own breeding code plus a unique number etched into them) and put them on babies before their foot grows too big. The split plastic bands as Shannon says are just used to indicate quickly if a bird is split for a certain variety so you don't have to go back to your records to tell.

For me blue bands a split lacewing, red bands are split fallow, green bands are split clearwing, purple bands are split blackeyed self. Nothing written on them just as an indicator of what the bird is split for. The records are kept from the closed leg rings unique number.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies.

I assumed, should know better by now, that the bands were just to indicate which matings produced that bird, date etc. I have lots, and lots, to learn.

Is there a link here to pictures describing which splits, colours, types are which? :wub:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Good bird supply shops sell a variety of rings you can use including split metal bands with numbers on them.