A Few Observations

Guest throwback

Guest throwback

Isn't funny how a certain breeding cabinet seems to be more successful then others. I found this when breeding before and again now. Maybe they feel more secure in that certain spot, more light, less distractions, I have tried to figure it out, but don't see how being a meter one side or the other can make a difference but than again I'm not a budgie.

I have a pair at the moment that share egg sitting duties. At first I didn't realise it and just thought the cock bird was just sitting in the box. Until I noticed they seem to take turns one day she's in, the next it's he's turn. I was a concerned that he would not be doing it right, until I was watching him turn the eggs and fussing over them.

After I stopped laughing, I told him I wouldn't tell the other cock birds, but if he doesn't wake up to himself I'll have to get him a skirt!! :)

Tough week I'm glad it's over. I have lost some young in a couple of nests. To what looks like yellow belly. One squashed, One with a broken leg, ring leg as well! which swelled up like a balloon.

The break was just above the ring he must have broke it jumping out of the nest box.

I found a really great cream. The Terry White Antiseptic Cream with it's 4 way action.

The best action is it has a anti-inflammatory agent that reduces swelling plus one for infection

plus pain relief I don't remember the fourth ingredient.

I put it on twice a day. The leg was fine five or six days later. I didn't need to cut his ring off it healed straight and looks normal. So that was a small victory in a tough week. :D

Cream.jpg?t=1214739550

Edited by throwback

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

ONe of those 'you win some, you lose some' kinda weeks by the sound of it TB. Good tip on the antiseptic cream, I'll get some of that for in my kit.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Sounds like a normal week at my place too....but I didnt know about the cream till you told us. Thanks :)

Guest throwback
Yellow belly ?? , Do you know why.

As with everything there are a lot of theories. I have had just hatched chicks die from this before.

My theory is the egg is porous and bacteria like salmonella invades the egg yoke. This intern creates a sick chick. The rigors of hatching are too much for the sick chick which is spent, and dies.

You will see a yellow/orange colour in there belly which looks like infection. Yellow belly

Some hens just don't form the eggs properly no matter what calcium supplement you give them.

Guest lonebudgie

Ive had this since about 2005 , I went through a difficult time in my life and the birds didnt get the best attention , but now , it still pops up , you can have a full nest healty and the second nest has yellow belly , And some hens dont have it at all even under the same conditions , I believe its a bacteria that invades the yolk from the hen when the yolk is passed at ist first stages in the hen , I have experimented with antibiotics to save young when they hatch cause some will die within 3 days of hatching , its these that can be saved . Question remains whether the are genetically weak or not.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Interesting information TB, it makes sense that different cabinents would produced different results, in the wild they chose where they want to lay here they are given a place if you could give them 4 to chose from I wonder what would happen and figure out why they would chose it.

Guest throwback
Ive had this since about 2005 , I went through a difficult time in my life and the birds didnt get the best attention , but now , it still pops up , you can have a full nest healty and the second nest has yellow belly , And some hens dont have it at all even under the same conditions , I believe its a bacteria that invades the yolk from the hen when the yolk is passed at ist first stages in the hen , I have experimented with antibiotics to save young when they hatch cause some will die within 3 days of hatching , its these that can be saved . Question remains whether the are genetically weak or not.
This would mean the hen has the bacteria ( which UK guys say is salmonella ) It could be in her ovary were the yolk is formed. It falls into the Infundibulum, which looks like a catchers mitt. It's amazing how it falls like cracking a egg into a glass. Hens that have trouble catching the yolk end up very sick. From there thick albumen is secreted around the yolk in the Magnum. then the shell membrane is added then down to the shell gland for the shell which takes twenty hours. Then pop! Out it comes!Than the egg sits there incubating for eighteen days to it hatches.It's a complex operation where things can go wrong at any point.
Interesting information TB, it makes sense that different cabinets would produced different results, in the wild they chose where they want to lay here they are given a place if you could give them 4 to chose from I wonder what would happen and figure out why they would chose it.
EllyI know which spot they want, the tree in the back paddock! Away from me and the aviary :D In a colony situation I think it would be the highest nest box! Is that right?
Guest lonebudgie

This would mean the hen has the bacteria ( which UK guys say is salmonella ) It could be in her ovary were the yolk is formed. It falls into the Infundibulum, which looks like a catchers mitt. It's amazing how it falls like cracking a egg into a glass. Hens that have trouble catching the yolk end up very sick. From there thick albumen is secreted around the yolk in the Magnum. then the shell membrane is added then down to the shell gland for the shell which takes twenty hours. Then pop! Out it comes!

Than the egg sits there incubating for eighteen days to it hatches.

It's a complex operation where things can go wrong at any point.

I had a chick tested once and was diagnosed as Streptacocal infection , which persists in the dust particles in the avairy , Better hygene and cleanliness was the answer after a course of antibiotics ,

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

:D yes I think you are right :D
Guest throwback

This would mean the hen has the bacteria ( which UK guys say is salmonella ) It could be in her ovary were the yolk is formed. It falls into the Infundibulum, which looks like a catchers mitt. It's amazing how it falls like cracking a egg into a glass. Hens that have trouble catching the yolk end up very sick. From there thick albumen is secreted around the yolk in the Magnum. then the shell membrane is added then down to the shell gland for the shell which takes twenty hours. Then pop! Out it comes!

Than the egg sits there incubating for eighteen days to it hatches.

It's a complex operation where things can go wrong at any point.

I had a chick tested once and was diagnosed as Streptacocal infection , which persists in the dust particles in the avairy , Better hygene and cleanliness was the answer after a course of antibiotics ,

I had it as a kid, it caused rheumatic fever.

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

So, Mr TB ... a question for you. What do you use the Bee Pollen for ? I know it is a natural antibiotic & good for human use. Is there some budgie ailment that you specifically treat with the pollen ?

Inquiring minds gotta know !

Guest throwback
So, Mr TB ... a question for you. What do you use the Bee Pollen for ? I know it is a natural antibiotic & good for human use. Is there some budgie ailment that you specifically treat with the pollen ?

Inquiring minds gotta know !

Observation NickNack the key to successful bird management.

The pollen is used for the babies soft food mix. Discussed in this post

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....mp;hl=throwback

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

Observation NickNack the key to successful bird management.

The pollen is used for the babies soft food mix. Discussed in this post

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....mp;hl=throwback

Thanks for the info Throwback. I don't breed my birds so I wouldn't have seen that post unless pointed to it by curiosity. Good to know. I will ask a few friends who do breed whether or not they have heard of this. It might be inportant to them !