• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could have some advice. About 2 months ago I took my 3 budgies to an avian vet for a check up. At the time I did notice that George's droppings were wet and had mentioned this to the vet. The vet had found that they all had a bacteria and George's case was the worst. She asked for me to give Fungilin and baytril to treat this for all 3. I had to give each of my birds this medication for 10 days. She asked if I could bring them back for a second check up 4 weeks later and so I did and at this stage George's droppings were still wet after the medication. After the check up she found that one of my birds was clear of bacteria (that was Balki) but my other 2 George and Franklin still had the same bacteria with George having a worse case. George and Franklin are always very close and dont interact as much with balki so it didn't suprise me that Balki did not have the bacteria. She also did a Chlymydia test on one just in case and it came back negative. Again, asked for me to come back in 4 weeks to do a check up. After the 10 day course George's droppings are still runny and I am reluctant to go back to the vet for another visit.

I love my budgies and would hate anything to happen to them but I feel that I am not getting anywhere with this avian vet. I have a feeling that if I go again she will probably ask that I give the same treatment again and If that's the case I don't think it will work. This is also proving to be very costly each visit is costing over $400. I don't think I can afford to pay this amount every 4 weeks.

I would appreciate any advice on anything else I could do or what can improve things with George. Other than the runny poos George seems healthy. He is very active, always chirpping and preening.

Thanks, Vicky

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Sorry to hear about George and Co. I can't be much help... other than suggesting you ask them to do tests or offer some other sort of treatment as this doesn't seem to be working for him, or try another avian vet. I hope someone else can help you and George. Good luck and please keep us updated.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Is this an avian vet? You may want to try someone different...I see that Chrysocome is responding so she will give you good advice I know.

• Member ID:  3,752

Hi Elly,

Yes, it is an avian vet.

Is this an avian vet? You may want to try someone different...I see that Chrysocome is responding so she will give you good advice I know.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

What are you feeding George???

I feed all my birds the same food. Trill, millet and also give them fresh eucalyptus leaves, bottle brushes every few days. I change their food and water daily.

I feed all my birds the same food. Trill, millet and also give them fresh eucalyptus leaves, bottle brushes every few days. I change their food and water daily.
okay I am not a vet But 1. Do you wash the leaves before you give them to your birds 2. Stop giving the Eucalyptus for 2 weeks check his poo then ... I notice this with mine green runny pooNow it is a treat once a week or fortnight ....

Thanks Neat, That thought did cross my mind and I stopped giving him eucalyptus leaves for a week but there was still no change.

okay I am not a vet But 1. Do you wash the leaves before you give them to your birds 2. Stop giving the Eucalyptus for 2 weeks check his poo then ... I notice this with mine green runny poo

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Seems to be the birds are being treated for megabacteria with the fungalin. Mega bac is a secondary disease after other things have been in play.

Maybe the treatment for megabacteria is wrong. What test made them determine the meds ?

Edited by KAZ

All birds were given a crop and faecal wash and gram stain test each which showed that they had a bacteria.

Seems to be the birds are being treated for megabacteria with the fungalin. Mega bac is a secondary disease after other things have been in play.

Maybe the treatment for megabacteria is wrong. What test made them determine the meds ?

Edited by Vickykh
Guest throwback

$400 a visit? WOW. How do they justify that? To run a few slides and give ya some Baytril!

I'm very sorry your budgie is ill. They can be very hard to treat. If he is fine in himself not fluffed up. I would worm them all. Then put them on a mild solution of raspberry cordial. it MUST have at least 10% raspberry. I have posted how to do this on other posts if you want to look it up. I know a lot of people will say go back to the vet but at $400 a pop you will probably still end up with a sick or worse budgie.

You could find a budgie club that is near you. They often have a service section that sells a range of broad spectrum antibiotics and a lot of experinced people who I'm sure would try to help you and George.

I have over 50 new budgies that have come from a number of breeders. Some had very dirty bums. So I went through the following:-

Wormed them, then completely cleaned there cages out.

Gave them my concoction of 6ml Sulfa 3

1 Gr Ronevet

1 Teaspoon of Glucodin

To 1lt of water

Gave them a break for 2 weeks than the raspberry cordial for 2 weeks than a course of multivitamins. They are now in great condition.

I hope you find some help

Goodluck.

Thanks Neat, That thought did cross my mind and I stopped giving him eucalyptus leaves for a week but there was still no change.
okay I am not a vet But 1. Do you wash the leaves before you give them to your birds 2. Stop giving the Eucalyptus for 2 weeks check his poo then ... I notice this with mine green runny poo
Sorry Mate, I don't know much about the Illnesses.. (CHECK REFERENCES :book: My book says mushy to running droppings for over one or 2 hours = droppings are foamy, bloody, or strongly discoloured: Diarreha persists . Alarm! Accompanying systoms of many disease (kidneys?) ...... No help Mate .... Hope George gets better >
$400 a visit? WOW. How do they justify that? To run a few slides and give ya some Baytril!I'm very sorry your budgie is ill. They can be very hard to treat. If he is fine in himself not fluffed up. I would worm them all. Then put them on a mild solution of raspberry cordial. it MUST have at least 10% raspberry. I have posted how to do this on other posts if you want to look it up. I know a lot of people will say go back to the vet but at $400 a pop you will probably still end up with a sick or worse budgie.You could find a budgie club that is near you. They often have a service section that sells a range of broad spectrum antibiotics and a lot of experinced people who I'm sure would try to help you and George.I have over 50 new budgies that have come from a number of breeders. Some had very dirty bums. So I went through the following:-Wormed them, then completely cleaned there cages out.Gave them my concoction of 6ml Sulfa 3 1 Gr Ronevet 1 Teaspoon of Glucodin To 1lt of waterGave them a break for 2 weeks than the raspberry cordial for 2 weeks than a course of multivitamins. They are now in great condition. I hope you find some helpGoodluck.
OT :hap: AHHH HAAAA - The raspberry cordial ..I knew it ... When i first joined here I mentioned that and the Mineral water.... No one heard of it : )

All birds were given a crop and faecal wash and gram stain test each which showed that they had a bacteria.

Megabacteria in the good ol days was misnamed and isnt actually a bacterial infection at all. Its a fungal type apparently. Its is believed to be the last thing that hits them after they have been sick with something else. Kind of like getting fullblown aids in an human with HIV.

A test for megabacteria show megabac rods in their droppings under a microscope.

If he is not responding to the treatment then I suggest the diagnosis is wrong and he has been treated with the wrong meds for the wrong condition.

PS Neat...a few of us knew about raspberry cordial but at the time of your post maybe we werent paying attention :hap:

Edited by KAZ

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I will take your advice on board. $400 a visit is way too much for me to afford on every visit. I used have 10 pet budgies when I was much younger and never took them to a avian vet and they all lived happily for a long time and never had any serious diseases/bacteria.

Just a question when you say raspberry cordial is this like the cottees type of cordials in the supermarket. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Thanks again, Vicky

$400 a visit? WOW. How do they justify that? To run a few slides and give ya some Baytril!

I'm very sorry your budgie is ill. They can be very hard to treat. If he is fine in himself not fluffed up. I would worm them all. Then put them on a mild solution of raspberry cordial. it MUST have at least 10% raspberry. I have posted how to do this on other posts if you want to look it up. I know a lot of people will say go back to the vet but at $400 a pop you will probably still end up with a sick or worse budgie.

You could find a budgie club that is near you. They often have a service section that sells a range of broad spectrum antibiotics and a lot of experinced people who I'm sure would try to help you and George.

I have over 50 new budgies that have come from a number of breeders. Some had very dirty bums. So I went through the following:-

1 Gr Ronevet

1 Teaspoon of Glucodin

To 1lt of water

Gave them a break for 2 weeks than the raspberry cordial for 2 weeks than a course of multivitamins. They are now in great condition.

Goodluck.

PS Neat...a few of us knew about raspberry cordial but at the time of your post maybe we werent paying attention :P

:hap: :hap: :mellow: :hap:

Vicky , If they have mis diagnosis Him. Ask for a refund or free consultation and Meds ...

The raspberry cordial isnt just the red cordial like Cottees. You have to try and find a purer type of raspberry cordial not just one that calls itself raspberry cordial by virtue of a label and being red in colour.

Edited by KAZ
spelling

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

Sometimes when they give a broad spec antibiotic (Baytril), they throw an anti-fungal in there because some fungi thrive with antibiotics.

I'm afraid I won't be much use tonight, I am exhausted and about to fall asleep at the keyboard.

Some questions- is George the only one with the runny poos? What type of runny is it - is there more liquid urine in general or is the solid dark part more squishy (without more urine)? What colour are the poos? Do you notice tha George drinks more than the others? Does George have any other signs, like he has poor moults or isn't very chirpy? Has anything changed in his environment lately?

Runny poos are a very general sign and can be due to lots of things.

Some differentials I can think of off the top of my head-

-Stress

-Sudden change in diet

-Food with high water content

-Infection

-Some medication

-Kidney, intestine, liver disease

-Diabetes

As you can see, these are very broad, it depends on other signs and the results of tests. What other tests have they tried?

$400 a month is pretty steep. Do you have another avian vet you can go to?

Edited by Chrysocome
Guest throwback
Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I will take your advice on board. $400 a visit is way too much for me to afford on every visit. I used have 10 pet budgies when I was much younger and never took them to a avian vet and they all lived happily for a long time and never had any serious diseases/bacteria.

Just a question when you say raspberry cordial is this like the cottees type of cordials in the supermarket. Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Thanks again, Vicky

You could find a budgie club that is near you. They often have a service section that sells a range of broad spectrum antibiotics and a lot of experienced people who I'm sure would try to help you and George.

1 Gr Ronevet

1 Teaspoon of Glucodin

To 1lt of water

Goodluck.

I know every time I mention the Raspberry people must smirk and roll there eyes. But then they end up with a dead budgie and a big vet bill. Vickykh it has to have at least 10% raspberry, cottees is no good last time I looked it had more apple that anything else. Read the label it's the raspberry that kills the bacteria in the gut.

I have said on here before, it is very hard to find a good avian vet.

Kaz is properly right about being missdiagnosed. makes it very hard, all you can do is try something else.

Stop the greens and boil there water.

Just remember it is only advise. If he does start to fluff up and look larthargic you will have to get tests done to find the cause. They can go down hill quick!

Edited by throwback

Hi there

The others dont have runny poos like George. I especially notice the wetness of his droppings after he sleeps at night and they it is all bunched together on the newspaper on the floor of the cage. It looks like there is a large water drop with runny droppings in the centre. They are green with white in the middle and is sometimes all mushed together but sometimes they can be a little firmer and the white in the centre is more clear. I have noticed sometimes that only liquid urine will drop without any solid or green parts but this is only once in a while. I have noticed that he drinks more than the others. He loves eucalyptus and bottlebrushes which do have water content and probably likes them for this reason.

George seems very happy. He is very active. Out of the 3 he chirps the most and is always preening. He enjoys eating. When I took him to the avian vet he weighed at 32 grams which I've been told is healthy. Nothing has really changed in the environment. The only medication I've given him is the avian vets med to treat this problem.

The avian vet i took him to is in Sydney and its very hard to find them. If you know of any recommended avian vets in Sydney please let me know.

Sometimes when they give a broad spec antibiotic (Baytril), they throw an anti-fungal in there because some fungi thrive with antibiotics.

I'm afraid I won't be much use tonight, I am exhausted and about to fall asleep at the keyboard.

Some questions- is George the only one with the runny poos? What type of runny is it - is there more liquid urine in general or is the solid dark part more squishy (without more urine)? What colour are the poos? Do you notice tha George drinks more than the others? Does George have any other signs, like he has poor moults or isn't very chirpy? Has anything changed in his environment lately?

-Stress

-Sudden change in diet

-Infection

-Some medication

-Diabetes

As you can see, these are very broad, it depends on other signs and the results of tests. What other tests have they tried?

The Raspberry .....> Even if you juice your own or go to a health or organic store But Like throw back said it HAS TO BE MINIMUM 10% PURE

This is a very handy link to have on hand

http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesa...katorkot_en.htm

Canley Vale and Austral ( She alter between the 2) She is awesome .... Don't know if this is to far

Thanks, is a little far as i live in the St George area but i will keep in mind in case there is an emergency.

Canley Vale and Austral ( She alter between the 2) She is awesome .... Don't know if this is to far

Hi there

I took a picture of his droppings this morning. Just to give an idea if this helps.

poo.jpg

-Stress

-Sudden change in diet

-Infection

-Some medication

-Diabetes

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.74
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

Good luck with everything, this is way out of my league but very interesting thread. Hope Geaorge gets better soon.