"the Ultimate Cuttlebone"

Guest VroomVroom

Guest VroomVroom

Hi there, I'm hoping that I can get a few opinions or recomendations from this forum. I found this cuttlebone on the Drs. Foster and Smith website. I want to provide my little guy with the best nutrition possible, and I understand that cuttlebones add important trace minerals. This cuttlebone contains a lot of stuff, but it also contains 167ppm of zinc (nontoxic.) I'm not sure if I can trust the 'nontoxic' part though. dizzy.gif Also this cuttlebone has to be attached using twist ties. That doesn't sound very safe to me either. What do you guys think?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

There is debate with the twists being safe because of the metal. Since I read the articles on it and it was brought to my attention, I now turn my cuttlebones sidewise and but them between the bars. So if you can imagine, I just stick the cuttlebone in the space of the bar and push it through, he likes it just fine and I have seen pictures where some perch on them too. It does not spread the bars too wide to make it unsafe for him either.

The cuttlebone above looks fine :wub:. I have 1 expensive one and 1 regular one and he personally doesn't prefer one over the other. I am sure other budgies are different.

Welcome to our boards :)

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

When i read this i was expecting to see what i have. Here you can get cuttlebones with a little attatchment on the back to easily attatch it to the cage bars:

d_837.jpg

This is what i have and the twisty tie is completely at the back and out of reach.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Me too Bea I really don't like the idea of the pepper one, would that really be safe for our birds? :blush:

Yes cuttle bones are needed, but a lot of the time the budgies will not eat it uless breeding, while others love it all the time. It still needs to be in reach to eat when the feel like it. I myself would reather stick with normal ones they I know just have the minerals and calcium in it that they need.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I have that one too Bea :blush:

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

ummm. who are they trying to sell it to. The Budgies or the Owner.... No not for me. :D

Guest Thirtyfive Black

all mine love the cuttlebone, no matter if they are breeding or not. i go thru at least 1 a month. i found one last week, it was HUGE i came home today, they broke the clip (and i cant find them anymore!) and it was on the floor with them all around it, nibbling away.

i have tried the fancy ones, and they like them no more that the regular ones. i also use the ones with the twistie on the back, i just throw it away when it gets too worn down.

Guest VroomVroom
ummm. who are they trying to sell it to. The Budgies or the Owner.... No not for me. :wub:

:blink: Ugh, it drives me nuts too! I'm always wondering, 'now is my bird really gonna like this or am I gonna end up being the one who likes it and my bird ignores it?' doh.gif

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

I use a sturdy plastic clip to attach cuttlefish to the cage, take care with Zinc as even small amounts aren't good for the health of your bird

• 2 weeks later...

hello regarding the coloured cuttle bones at the petshop we feed our budgies them and seem to be more interested in them then the normal cuttle bones but we sell coloureds at $2.20 and normal at $2.55[the packaging does that to the price. but we have no problems with the coloureds

Guest pixie25

the coloured ones are cheaper than the normal ones? :) makes you wonder what cheap **** they are dipped in doesnt it, if the packaging of a normal cuttlebone costs more than the additives in a coloured one.

why is there an extra packaging costs if the coloured one is just a normal cuttlebone dipped in dye? surely the shape is no different.

sorry that wasnt normal price that was with a 20% wholesale discount but you can eitherr have unpackaged and packaged and the price difference is abou 50cents to $1

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  2,121
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  104
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  775

I get mine from the beach!