• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

I have been attempting to get Smokey eating his veggies since I got him. I've mainly been sticking with one type of vegetable for a week or so at a time and so far all he'll touch has been the grasses I bring home from my walks and even then, he only eats the stalks within an hour or so pulls them out of their bunch, throwing them onto the floor of his cage and inevitably pooing all over them! I've gone through so many carrots and broccoli trees, all to no avail!

Anyway, last night we had a salad for dinner, the base of which was baby spinach, so this morning I pegged a little bunch of the spinach leaves into his cage and I have just noticed that he is actually eating them! Yay! I will stick with this for a week or so before tyring to intorduce something new, but hopefully htis marks the beginning of an interest in things other than seeds for Smokey! It seems that this is co-insiding with a newfound appreciation of water and bathing, so maybe he is just growing up a bit and is a bit more willing to try new things...

Here's a bit of photographic evidence... it's not a great shot, but I had to be sneaky and try to get it while he wasn't looking otherwise he would dash off and pretend he didn't like veggies!

IMG_3471.jpg

• Member ID:  2,550
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  465

Have you tried corn? My budgies don't seem to want to eat many types of vegies either but they find corn irresistible.

• Member ID:  2,008

Ah, I will give that a go too! Thanks!

• Member ID:  4,621
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,955

Cosmo eats spinach, but his absolute favourite is sprouted seeds. I discovered thsi when I used to blow his seed husks off into my garden bed and some of the seeds sprouted... it looked like little blades of grass. I cannot express how crazy about them he is.. if he sees me coming with his sprouted seeds, he will sprint to the side of the cage and press himself up against the bars, then he eats it so fast he probably barely gets to taste it :)

That was how I got him started on being interested in veggies, because with most other ones I tried before that he occasionally took a peck or two but rarely ate much.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Awesome...

becareful on Spinach though because Iron can block Calcium aborbing.

Kale is very similar in texture try that and Broccolli too. :unsure:

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

Yes, spinach can lower calcium absorption, but it is not as big a problem for a standard bird in a cage as it is for a breeding hen. The hen needs a lot of calcium to produce the eggs, specifically the shell. You have absolutely nothing to worry about by giving a single bird in a cage, even multiple birds in an aviary spinach.

• Member ID:  4,449
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  2,475
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  14,280
  • Birthday:  21/04/1991

I agree. My aviary birds get plenty of spinach/silver beet.

My breeders occasionally get it but not too often as I as told it lowers calcium intake.

I will keep that in mind... thanks. He won't be getting it every day anyway. Today, while he was playing on his playgym on the other side of the room, I took out the munched on spinach stalks and replaced it with a branch of broccoli in the hope that he will just go back to the same spot and much without noticing I've changed the veggies! Hehe... gotta ba cunning to get the kids to eat their veggies! Next item on the cunning vegetable menu will be carrot. I am thinking of just using the peeler to get it into thin slivers and pegging it in the veggie spot... besides grating are there any other handy ways people serve carrot?!

Guest mariah
I will keep that in mind... thanks. He won't be getting it every day anyway. Today, while he was playing on his playgym on the other side of the room, I took out the munched on spinach stalks and replaced it with a branch of broccoli in the hope that he will just go back to the same spot and much without noticing I've changed the veggies! Hehe... gotta ba cunning to get the kids to eat their veggies! Next item on the cunning vegetable menu will be carrot. I am thinking of just using the peeler to get it into thin slivers and pegging it in the veggie spot... besides grating are there any other handy ways people serve carrot?!

well i got carrot and i made it into a short perch........but my budgies never touch it :)

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Awesome...

becareful on Spinach though because Iron can block Calcium aborbing.

Kale is very similar in texture try that and Broccolli too. :)

Other way around. Calcium inhibits Iron absorption, so with birds its totally fine as they don't require much iron.

well i got carrot and i made it into a short perch........but my budgies never touch it :)

Hehe... good idea.. Smokey does like his calcium perch, and a carrot would be roughly the same thickness and colour... I wonder if he'd notice?!