• Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

After reading Tam's topic it occurred to me that I have heard a few different versions on how people like to clip wings. Some leave the tip two flights intact, some don't, etc. So just wondering how others like to do it.

Personally due to having a number of different species I use a few different methods. If I need to cut the big birds wings I find you have to really go the full hog on them otherwise it doesn't make any difference, the budgies you do a bit prettier and get away with cutting less off.

Anyone want to share a photo with a wing spread to show how they like to do it, I don't have any clipped at the moment so I can't share but I normally cut them just short enough so that you can't see the cut edge under the other half of the wing when they are sitting normally.

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Sure, I'll get a photo of my tiels wings, my budgies wings and my sulfur cocky's wings. All mine get the same clip and we have No dramas. Leroy (cocky) even lives out back all day long outside of his cage.

• Member ID:  4,233

I have had two galahs go walk about even with clipped wings so I would be interested (we only got one back) so I would be very interested to see how you do your cocky's wings.

His are just clipped normally... Although we don't have anywhere for him to get out... There's only the long bare trunk of a gum tree for him to "try" to climb which he never bothers... other than that he's got a 7ft high colourbond fence to try to scale haha :fear I'd love to see him try it :)

He enjoys his free time out back. Screams int he morning to be taken out with his cage so we'll take him out open the door and leave him, after that he'll sit on it, go into it, get down and have some grass and other nibblies... walk around, come and sit on the washing trolly if we're hanging some out, then come sunset, he'll climb back into his cage, sit there and scream his box off until be bring him back in for the night to be covered ;)

He's a princess... and a very demanding on at that.

Have they been clipped ever since he was a baby? I often wonder if there is an issue of muscle tone too. Birds that have had the ability to fly build up their muscles and can still fly reasonably when they get clipped, atleast wth big birds anyway. Both the two that we lost had their wings clipped fully and still flew away!

Here are the photo's of the birds clips for you.

budgie:

c1.jpg - stretched out

c2.jpg - folded under

Weero:

c3.jpg - stretched out

c4-1.jpg - folded under

Lorikeet:

c5.jpg - stretched out

c6.jpg - folded under

Cocky:

c7.jpg - stretched out

c8.jpg - folded under

I give all my birds the same clip and all have nice un-hacked looking wings when clipped. Everyone is able to flutter to the ground but unable to get any height, even if wind gets them.

I'd like to see your cocky's clips if you have any pictures?

Leroy's previous owner didn't clip him. He could fly well and even now with clipped wings my partner and I take him to the park, throw him up about 10-15 metres into the air and let him get some exercise. He'll fly down over a distance of about 30m regardless of whether the wind is there or not. With his clip he's not going anywhere. That could also be due to him not wanting to leave us, but I think it's the clip as it works for all of my birds.

Edited by *libby*

They aren't clipped at the moment, it would make them sad, they have too much fun flying around the house! I'll probably clip them in summer though as we often have the back door open then. The corella I don't plan to clip as she is learning to obey the 'come' command (if I pat my shoulder from the other side of the room she will fly over and land on me and then if I pat somewhere else like a perch or the backof the lounge she will jump off).The two galahs were clipped similiarly to that as that is how I clip all mine too. Galahs are very light but have quite arge wings for their body size so maybe that's why they were still able to fly.

My galah gets the same clip as the cocky also... He's never had any problems either and he's a very strong flyer also...

Maybe the two that got away from you grew some of the feathes back without you noticing them? They fold under the feathers that don't get clipped so it's easy to miss them in large cockatoos?

Nope, I checked that on the one that came back and his clip was perfect :fear MUst just have been sneaky galahs!!

• Member ID:  3,993
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Really interesting post ;)

Libby, all of your birds are beautiful :fear Do they all live inside with you?

• Member ID:  2,008
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

Possibly another useful slant on this post is the one side or two debate?? I know a lot of pet-shop birds are sold with just one wing clipped.

I got my budgie from a pet supplier (as opposed to a shopping centre pet shop - two VERY different types of pet shop!) and when I had chosen him, my already high regard for the sales-girl (whose badge identified her as the "avian supervisor) was elevated when I was asked a barrage of questions including: have you tamed a budgie before? have you got a cage? how big is it? what sort of food and water containers do you have? How much are you at home? where is the house is the cage going to be? and finally, would you like his wings clipped?

I said yes, after having lost a beloved budgie to a flying accident, and I didn't even need to request both be done... it was as though it was a given. I have always been of the understanding that having both done is better for the birds, so where does the idea of only clipping one come from?

None of my birds have only one wing done. Both wings are done, although aren't shown as it's hard enough to hold one out, let alone two.

In the pictures from the back you can see the tips of both the clipped wings.

It's best to clip both because it equals up their balance. Some prefer to keep only one done, but I think it can cause alot more trouble than it's worth. Sending a bird spiriling out of control every time it tries to fly away is not my idea of nice training. Clipping both so still stable but ability being decreased is.

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I also clip the same way as Libby. It is the ONLY way in my view!! It looks neat, but more importantly, it is comfortable for the bird.

I have no idea where the idea came for clipping one wing came from! I got my Tiel, Sammy, with one wing clipped VERY short, and 2 flights left on the cut side too. she was very uncomfortable :o i clipped her my way when i got her home and she is MUCH happier now :D

I think having one wing clipped for a bird would be like us wearing a heavy steele cap boot on one foot and a thong on the other ALL DAY :(

Edited by **Liv**

Really interesting post :(

Libby, all of your birds are beautiful :o Do they all live inside with you?

Nope none of them live inside with me officially... Leroy (cockatoo) comes in at night, but spends all day outside... The lorikeets have their own patio cage, the budgie is one of the tame pets for sale and the weero's also live in their own patio cage :D

I only clip one of my lorikeets as she is used to be clipped and won't even bother trying if she has one done, the other birds I clip two though. I think the idea of clipping one i something along the lines of that they will only be able to go in a circle if they do manage to fly a little, so they'l come back to you. Something like a boomerang :o

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Clipping only one wing can be dangerous and quickly helps erode any confidence the bird may have in his ability to get around. If you are going to clip, please do both wings equally.

I don't clip my birds, but the safest clip for the bird I have seen involves trimming the feathers at the base of the shaft. (link here) No pointy feather shafts to stick out and cause irritation...and possibly begin a feather-plucking problem. This seems to be more of an issue with larger birds, budgies typically do not have a tendency to pluck without medical cause. When you clip the feather halfway, the end of the shaft can poke the bird, causing them to start nibbling on the feather in an attempt to make this sensation go away. The more they nibble, the more the feather splinters (I've seen this firsthand), and the more painful it becomes when the wing is close to the body (which is most of the time). With larger parrots especially, this can be the trigger for long-term feather destruction behaviors.

As you can see from the pictures, the scissors are very close to the wing itself - for safety's sake if you are interested in this type of clip and especially if your bird tends to be wriggly have your veterinarian help you do it the first time!

• Member ID:  3,993
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,745
  • Birthday:  27/11/1986

Really interesting post :D

Libby, all of your birds are beautiful :D Do they all live inside with you?

Nope none of them live inside with me officially... Leroy (cockatoo) comes in at night, but spends all day outside... The lorikeets have their own patio cage, the budgie is one of the tame pets for sale and the weero's also live in their own patio cage :)

Sounds like you must have a nice set up on your patio :D Down the track I would like to get another type of bird, I am still not too sure what though, they are all so cute. But for now, one is enough for me!