• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,475
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So my monsters love their pellets! I've started keeping them in a separate dish in the cage all the time. If they don't love eating them, they at least love reducing them to pellet dust. My question is if people dump out the pellet dust, or leave it in there for them to eat. I suppose I could just not add more whole pellets for a day or two and see if they still eat from it or not and that might help me figure out what to do. What do you do?

• Member ID:  3,086
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  475

Well done armchairangel. Good to hear they're on the good stuff. My new baby budgie eats them too. But I couldn't covert my 8yr old girl Turbs (tried everything). Re the dust, I'd remove it. I have noticed that Birdy the new baby hates the dust, so putting in more fresh stuff will encourage your birds to keep eating the pellets.

Ideally they are supposed to have 50% pellets and 50% seed/vegies and other foods to achieve their protein and nutrition requirements. I have heard of some people keeping the dust like an egg and biscuit mix for treats etc. But personally I'm throwing "my dust" away. Let's face it - eating dust doesn't sound attractive (even though it's the same stuff!)

• Member ID:  1,826
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  120
  • Achievement Points:  955

some companies sell 'dust' to help convert those budgies that won't budge, but keeping old food is in my opinion not a great idea, with maybe a bit of poop, who knows what nasties are growing in that dish!

maybe try putting more controlled amounts in the dishes if your worried about wasting, so they can't waste as much, i know for harrisons its about 1.5-2.5 tsp per bird,

Guest Kalimazu

My budgies simply ignore the pellets if I put them in a dish by themselves, but if they were leaving residual pellet dust, I'd dump it rather than trying to preserve and re-feed it.

I have to smash my pellets a bit to encourage their consumption, but this does seem to help. Then, I just sprinkle the dust and smashed bits over the seed mix and/or fresh foods. The smaller pellets look like just the right size, but they're engineered for finches.

Kali

Edited by Kalimazu

:ausb: Have gotten to the point where I have to pulverize the pellets and mix it in with their treat food. One budgie just adores them so will leave them as is for him :D

• Member ID:  2,995

I didn't put new pellets in this morning and they're still eating from the container, almost fighting over turns. *L* The container is in a place where poop somehow doesnt' get in it, and if it does, I do change the stuff. They also get veggies and seeds every day. I like the idea of measuring out a certain amount each day. Baby gets a mix of seed and pellets and they seem to disappear in her cage too.

I'm feeding them Lafebers right now and molasses is high on the ingredient list. I've been wondering how good of a brand of pellets they are and I'm tempted to try to switch to Harrisons or Zupreem (I've heard that brand recommended here too), but I'm afraid they won't like the new kind. I kind of have the idea that if they're eating this stuff, its better than not eating any pellets at all. I just don't want to end up going backwards, you know?

• Member ID:  1,826
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  120
  • Achievement Points:  955

there is no harm in trying, if they eat the 'better' stuff (never heard of labebers) most companies can send you little trial packages too. and leave their orginal stuff in there if your worried

Guest Kalimazu

I've been using the Zupreem fruit-flavored/colored pellets, but have been keeping my eye out for something more natural. These remind me of "Fruit Loop" holes (if there was such a thing). They look and smell kind of candyish.

I think August's suggestion is a good one, if you wanted to give something else a try.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Kali, Zupreem does carry a natural version, but they are hard to find. My birds eat Harrison's Mash, which is pulverized already. :P It is a fine powder, and they much prefer it to the SuperFine size. With molasses being high on the ingredient list of what you (armchairangel) feed now I think I would try to switch to something else only because molasses is sugar, and I don't see how a lot of sugar would be good. If your birds are used to all that sweetness it might be hard to change them over at first, but could be easier than you think since parrots do not have a whole lot of taste buds compared to us.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I don't feed pellets at all, but understand it being another good food for budgies. Over here its both too hard to get in great quantities and hugely expensive as well.

If you have to change brands perhaps you could wean them off the others by percentages.....added a percentage of the new brand mixed into what they like now, and increase one/decrease the other over some weeks ? until its all the new kind ? Just a thought :P

Exactly what I would recommend Karen. :D

• Member ID:  2,995

the only downfall to the gradual switch over (which IS the healthy/safe way to change any animal's food) is that I only have one or two days' worth of pellets left. I dont' want to have to buy another whole container of each kind.... Although, I suppose I could just keep them on this stuff for now and switch when it gets low and there's still enough to do it with. duh! *L*

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Well If you do percentages of the stuff, you'll find it will last longer because you will be using less of it each day as you use more of the new stuff. :D

Other wise by a new packet of the old stuff and the new stuff and do it that way. But perhaps you could do it slower or add one as variety.

Edited by Sailorwolf

the only downfall to the gradual switch over (which IS the healthy/safe way to change any animal's food) is that I only have one or two days' worth of pellets left. I dont' want to have to buy another whole container of each kind.... Although, I suppose I could just keep them on this stuff for now and switch when it gets low and there's still enough to do it with. duh! *L*

Then just switch as best you can. It won't hurt them, and parrots (really any bird) are opportunistic feeders in the wild. Once one food runs out they switch to whatever else is in season or appears in front of them. Since yours already eat pellets, they may not even find the switch any big deal.