Sick Little Bird

Guest Little Trouble

Guest Little Trouble

Hi,

My little bird is quite sick at present. She has a Pasturella Bacteria which I think she caught from another bird (long story). She didn't show any signs of it. I just took her to the vet for a general check-up and to cut another long story short. I've been fighting to get the medication down her throat for 7 days now and still have another 3 days to go.

Thankfully I'm really lucky. My Vet happens to be the Head of the Avian Society in Australia and he's just wonderful.

One thing though....... She (Sam) seems to be itching an awful lot at present and she seems to be flaking/sheding skin. It looks similar to dandruff. She doesn't seem to be losing as many feathers as she was (in her malting) but I'm concerned. She seems happy enough.

Before I ring the Vet I just wondered if anyone had any ideas what it might be?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hi,

My little bird is quite sick at present. She has a Pasturella Bacteria which I think she caught from another bird (long story). She didn't show any signs of it. I just took her to the vet for a general check-up and to cut another long story short. I've been fighting to get the medication down her throat for 7 days now and still have another 3 days to go.

Thankfully I'm really lucky. My Vet happens to be the Head of the Avian Society in Australia and he's just wonderful.

One thing though....... She (Sam) seems to be itching an awful lot at present and she seems to be flaking/sheding skin. It looks similar to dandruff. She doesn't seem to be losing as many feathers as she was (in her malting) but I'm concerned. She seems happy enough.

Before I ring the Vet I just wondered if anyone had any ideas what it might be?

Sorry to hear your bird is sick, but its really good that you have found a great avian vet you can be confident with. They are worth their weight in gold.

The itching could be feather mites. Ask the vet to check for them when you see him next. Good luck.

Cheer Karen

• Member ID:  3,086
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  475

It could be itching due to skin dryness (often linked to vitamin/nutritional deficiency). What sort of diet your little mate on?

Guest Little Trouble

Sam gets fresh grass seed from the park, washed every morning (I go walking and collect it for her). She gets bird seed, Bok Choy and English Spinach. These 3 things mainly but I also try to feed her apple, broccoli and sometimes carrot and pellets (she doesn't eat much of that). Anthing that I can get her to eat, I try.

After she's off the medication I'm going to try to find some vitamins for her, just to give her a boost. After everything she's been through it's the least I can do.

I really must thank everyone on this site who adds comments, pictures etc. It's been very informative and helpful to me just reading everything that everyone says even if it's not relative to me it's interesting to know.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Check with your vet also about feeding greens while your bird is on medication. Some greens are to be stopped while birds are taking medicine.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Welcome to the forums, and I'm sorry to hear your little bird is sick.

The flaking skin could be any number of things. If she is going through her molt, it could be all the keratin sheaths that house the new feathers. If you have noticed a lot of pinfeathers, or flight feathers growing in and they are about full length, as the keratin flakes off to release the new feathers it sometimes looks like dandruff. Another possibility is very low humidity. That makes people itch too, as the skin dries out.

If you have access to a good avian probiotic, I would give her that. Antibiotics many times upset the gut flora, and if her immune system is not strong to begin with she could get an overgrowth of yeast in her system. That will make her uncomfortable. Maybe you could get a probiotic from your avian vet, or at least he could recommend what type to look for and where to look. You can use people probiotics too, but your vet will need to know the brand among other things to mathematically work out a dosage for you. Medicinally, what is okay for an adult human is vastly different from what is okay for a one ounce little bird. I'd say that would be a last resort, as I think it would be a pain to do. But it is an option you could discuss with your vet if need be.

I hope your little one continues to improve. Let us know how she does.

Edited by Rainbow

• Member ID:  2,995
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,475

Has the itching and flaking started since she started the medication? If so, perhaps its a reaction from it. I'd call the vet and ask about it. It might be necessary to change meds or discontinue them. However, you're almost done, so maybe she can just stick it out too. I'd call the vet and see what he recommends, vitamins, probiotics, stuff people have mentioned. It might be a very normal and expected thing and he could have some other suggestions to alleviate her symptoms. If its something that has been more ongoing, I'd call and have it checked out too. It could be any number of things.