Chloe Not Coming Out Of Cage. Help!

Guest LC598

Guest LC598

hi!!

I have had my budgie Chloe for nearly 5 months. She is proving very difficult, if not impossible to tame. I talk to her all the time, I rub her belly with my finger, she seems to enjoy that but only for a few seconds then climbs up the cage to get away. she also refuses to come out of her cage. We leave the door open for hours and she doesn't come out. We have tried encouraging her out with millet and other favourite foods but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas?????????????? ;)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

is she finger tamed at all?

Guest LC598
is she finger tamed at all?

She is not at all finger tamed. I have been trying and trying. I've put my hand in, kept it in for 10 minutes at a time several times a day. Tried holding millet in there, seed on my hand, everything. None of it seems to be working. I can rub here belly but only briefly, She just hops away or climbs the cage.

She has a mirror, could that be the problem?

the mirror should be removed, I never had a mirror with Pretty.

I would say she tolerates you rubbing her belly but probably doesn't enjoy it. Does she stand up real tall when you do it? Most birds do not like tummy rubs, but head and neck scratches are more preferred gives the preening effect of another bird.

I would stop rubbing her belly, and have you gone to www.budgietalk.com if not go under training tips. You need to have her finger tamed first before letting her out because once she is out you will not have an easy way to put her back in. And that could be more traumatic then anything else being chased around the house or a room to get back in the cage.

So continue to work with finger taming first and then worry about coming out of the cage ;).

Guest LC598

Thanks for your help. I have removed the mirrors and instantly there is a difference. I have also stopped rubbing her belly. She loves being stroked on the back of her neck and head. She even half got on my finger, (one foot on my finger and one foot on the perch) she then wouldn't get off for about 5 mins. Today we have left the cage door open, all day, and attached some food at the door. Which she ate without any problems. Then to our amazement she came flying out of the cage :-) She flew around the room a few times, then went back in her cage by herself. She has now done this several times. We are really happy now. She even talks to us, which she never did before as she was too interested in her mirror.

Thanks lovey for you help. :blush:

wonderful to hear, keep us updated on her progress

it is wonderful when they start to bond with you, rearrange her cage weekly, keep the mirror out of the cage but for a treat when she is out and about on top of her cage along with any other plastic toys that look like another bird. You will find she will continue to bond with you.

Guest LC598

Chloe is continuing to progress. She comes out a lot now, she likes sitting on top of the cage. She even fell asleep on her perch just outside the door yesterday, bless.

My partner is going to build a little play gym for her. We live in France and it is extremely difficult to find toys here as birds are not that popular as pets here. We are hoping it will encourage here more.

She seems to not miss the mirrors at all.

:(

Try shopping on the net for bird toys. Feathered pets, whose link is on top of the main page, will look after you really well :( He will get in anything for you that he doesn't stock, and, if you tell him your from this forum he will probably give you a special price

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Yeah, he is based in the UK too so it should be fairly easy for him to ship stuff to you. :(