Sold To Me As A Female, But Is It A Male?

• Member ID:  7,522
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  75
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello friends,

I have two wonderful male budgies but wanted to get some female company for one of them.

I went to the store yesterday and chose one beautiful young budgie. The pet employee (who seemed quite old and experienced) assured me it was a female, even though I had a few doubts.

When I went home and put it close to the other two males, it looks like both of them are rejecting it. First of all they isolate it in the cage, meaning that they never go near it and look indifferent to it. If the newcomer approaches any of the two males they typically attack it with their beaks and push it away. This behavior seems not normal to me, considering that in previous encounters with females, both males were flirting immediately and were very accepting.

So after all, maybe the new one is a guy and not a gal? Or do they just need time to adjust to the new family member? Any help greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I really know nothing about mutations but I too got a girl that turned out to be a boy. His cere was pink when I got him, I was told he was a girl. Now it has vibrant spots of color that make it look like a watercolor. Very interesting thread, from your description I would be asking myself the same question. The boys seem to be telling you something is up. When my budgie Noah and his girl Allie had six babies I realized one was a girl even though her cere looked like the boys because she kept going into a large food dish and pretending to nest. There were three all white girls with white ceres and three white and blue babies with pink ceres. To me the boys ceres looked like the birds cere you posted a photo of. The one that kept laying inside a bowl at 45 days turned out to be a girl, her cere later turned brown and males are very attracted to her.

fb2b43e5-1877-419e-ad08-610746a478de_zpsfe0cb7f5.jpg

Noah father of babies in picture

There does seem to be some white around the nostrils though. I wonder if this means she still could be a girl?

Edited by Phoebes

Thanks Phoebes for your help, but the mystery still remains.

Any expert can jump in on this one and help me please?

I would hate to return it, as it is such a lovely bird, but I do need a female and I only have about half a day left to ponder on this (Moving tomorrow with the budgies to another town so if I keep it, male or female, I ll have to stick with it).

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

I'm no expert but I'm leaning towards male.

If you look at top of this forum there are 2 pinned articles, .1,. all about budgie ceres. 2. sexing baby budgies. If you look through that info it may give you a clue.

Also just to add you really need to quarantine new birds, to make sure they aren't carrying any disease your existing birds could catch.

It also takes a bit of adjustment when new birds are introduced, usually a few hours is enough for them to accept a new member.

Edited by robyn

Thanks robyn,

I did look through all those posts you mentioned but I am still in doubt. I too am inclined to think it is a boy, though.

As for the quarantine, you are correct but, unfortunately, I am under quite some time pressure to decide whether keeping him or not, since I am traveling with the birds to another city in a couple hours.

So, with a heavy heart, because he was such a nice-tempered bird, I returned him to the store before I get too attached to him! I got a new one, and I think this time it is a girl.

Here it is. I am pretty sure it is very young and it looks to also have a very nice temper. Sat on my finger easily, looks like it is adjusting, the others definitely gave it a better reception than the previous one. What do you think? I have to leave now, but I will keep an eye on them and let you know what happens. Many thanks.

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

Edited by concept303

• Member ID:  7,490
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  88
  • Achievement Points:  510

Hi. Looks to be a female to me. If you can, do a gradual introduction. For example, pop her into a separate cage and put the cage next to the cage with your 2 male budgies. Gauge the reaction and if all good, then put her into the cage holding your birds, all under a careful watch of course. As you know, a few of us prefer to quarantine new birds before exposing our current birds to new stock. But do whatever works for you.

Hi, this looks more female to me, also very young as it still has it's head stripes. Good luck with the move, hope to hear how your birds settle in later on.

This one is a very nice and very young girl looks like. I have her in her own cage for now with the two males in another cage close by. She is still adjusting but seems to be doing fine. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks to all for the help and the tips.

• Member ID:  6,042
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  740
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  4,045
  • Birthday:  15/06/1977

Hello friends,

I have two wonderful male budgies but wanted to get some female company for one of them.

I went to the store yesterday and chose one beautiful young budgie. The pet employee (who seemed quite old and experienced) assured me it was a female, even though I had a few doubts.

When I went home and put it close to the other two males, it looks like both of them are rejecting it. First of all they isolate it in the cage, meaning that they never go near it and look indifferent to it. If the newcomer approaches any of the two males they typically attack it with their beaks and push it away. This behavior seems not normal to me, considering that in previous encounters with females, both males were flirting immediately and were very accepting.

So after all, maybe the new one is a guy and not a gal? Or do they just need time to adjust to the new family member? Any help greatly appreciated.

Here are some pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Male Pied. Out of condition ,you can tell by the flakiness and dry looking cere.

Edited by rachelm

So it was male after all. What do you mean "out of condition"? Not in good health? Do you agree the new one is a female?

In any case the new bird is adjusting in its own cage for the time being. It is very lively and jumping around all the time. After two days she went into the nest by herself. Seems to like it in there.

What's interesting is that while she is another room, the two males in the other cage get along okay. If I bring her cage close to them, the white dominant male chases and attacks the other one constantly and fiercely. Impressive...

Edited by concept303

Out of condition means it is not in breeding condition. When in breeding condition the male cere is usually a bright blue, this can depend on mutation though. The female tan to brown, BUT they should be at least 12 mths old to breed. She probably went into nest box as she is so young, my chicks would do this even after they fledged, a security thing I'd say. I would not put a nest box in with your birds until they are all breeding age.

Thanks for the advice.