• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  189
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,395
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  13/03/1970

There is a dog across the street, that barks alot, because of distance it is a faint barking. The other day I was changing the seed and water in the cages. I heard a barking sound, I figured it was the dog again. I then noticed the sound was not coming from the usual direction of the dog, but from one of the cages. So I moved closer to the sound and realized it was our youngest Budgie doing the barking. Kind of curious to see what other sounds she will pick up to imitate. Yesterday our daughter started singing,well she tried. As soon as she started, she stopped and we heard her telling the budgies to stop throwing seeds at her. I snuck out and it was funny to watch. Everytime she started to sing, seeds would rain down on her, she stopped and they stopped.

• Member ID:  6,577
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  750

That is soooo funny!!! Did your daughter get the hint that the budgies thought singing should be left up to the birds????:rolleyes:

Ours mimic the lorikeets passing through, and Bluey has taught Smudge to say "give us a kiss". Bluey has quite a number of phrases that he loves to repeat (mostly about him!!, and how he's cute, a little good boy, gorgeous etc) but his favourite is " give us a kiss" and now Smudge is doing it too. It's quite funny as she really isn't the "kissy" sort. I'm sure I;ve heard Bluey say "shut up" too - wouldn't have picked that up from my sons would he????:unsure:

We had a situation here last year where the council were doing dog audits and people without dogs were given pay-up notices to register their dogs when theydidn't have dogs!! The "dogs" the council workers were hearing were the people's budgies!!!:blink: What a great trick to have especially if you don't have a dog yourself - don't have a guard dog, have a bird -dog!

Hezz

• Member ID:  6,512
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  805

thats funny i would never have thought that a budgie could mimic a dogs bark my budgie calls me something else which is not very nice probably hears my dad saying it also says god morning and good night but in the morning it says good night and at night it says good morning pebbles is sooo silly.

Edited by amanda

• Member ID:  6,577
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  750

Hey I know where you are coming from Amanda!! Bluey's grammer isn't the best either. I certainly never taught him to say he's a "cute little good boy gorgeous":huh:

Although he does put "give us a kiss", "hello" and "come on" to use with great affect!! :) :) :wub:

Hezz

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

that is too funny :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,633
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,080

That is so funny. My mum had a parrot years ago that could laugh EXACTLY like my Dad. She'd think he was home from work early and go look for him. We had a budgie that was hand raised next to a baby cockatiel. She would be singing away and suddenly come out with a perfect cockatiel whistle. She had a heap of sounds she made that we'd not taught her but she'd learned from us. If she thought you were cross with her for doing something she'd sidle up to you and make big smoochy kissing sounds at you and preen you. Very sweet. She only died recently and we miss her a lot.

You guys would probably enjoy the book "Alex and Me' about the African Grey that did amazing things in avian cognition and speech. It was totally amazing the things he did and the context he could put things in.

that is too funny :lol:

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

When I first got mine, I was watching original Star Trek marathons on tv while I was trying to tame him.

He started making all those weird whooshing noises the starship doors make when they open and close, as well as the funny electronic noises from the Star Trek scanner devices.

He's forgotten about them now, as that old show hasn't been on for a while.