• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,440
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,220
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

So I was thinking... If I do not move to AUS (big reason was to have my birds in aviaries outside) where else could I put the aviaries?

Then, we went over to my grandma's tonight for a bit, and she showed us her workshop room in the basement. Her basement is fully done, and theres a big living t.v area, fireplace, spare bedroom, a workshop, and a laundry room. They were talking about her selling her house one day, and how awesome her house is. That is when I started to think bird wise :wub: Her workshop room would work awesome for a bird room! Its about 20' long, `5' wide, has lighting, tons of shelves (I'd tear down and use wood for aviary frames), and it's heated! It's also good becuase its in the basement back corner, so the noise would not be too loud.

Im not going to buy her house, (Laughing out loud)... but it got me thinking. If I can find a house I like, with a finished basement, I can turn one of the rooms into a bird room! :D However I have a few concerns:

- would laundry, or furnace fumes be bad for birds?

- do they NEED windows? Or could UV lights be okay?

- what would the best flooring be? I was thinking lino? Or maybe have the room carpet, then put lino on the aviary floors? Then put 'skirts' or guards on the bottom of the aviaries so not much stuff gets on the carpet?

Obviously there would be heat for winters and lights (hopefully window's aswell). Anyways, it was just a thought if I can't have outdoor ones. It is so cold outside in CAD so the aviary would have to be VERY insulated and hardcore protected ^_^

So, do you guys think it would be okay to have birds in a room in a basement?

Guest lonebudgie

All fumes bad , So ventalation a must . Either through windows or mechinical ventalation

If no natural light , then artifical light with the full colour spectrum provided, And add Vitiman D to the water.

Lino the whole room , easy cleaning

You would obviously have to provide a thermostat heating device

Or you can move to Australia , Best place on earth , or is that bias :wub:

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Some people do have birds in basements I guess. But UV lights would be essential in that kind of situation. Fumes I would definitewly worry about. Ventilation is also essential when keeping birds. Lino has chemicals in it that are emitted, not to mention birds chewing it. A layer of sand spread for them would be better and easily swept up and cleaned and replaced.

:wub: posted same time as lonebudgie apparently

Edited by KAZ
Guest lonebudgie
Some people do have birds in basements I guess. But UV lights would be essential in that kind of situation. Fumes I would definitewly worry about. Ventilation is also essential when keeping birds. Lino has chemicals in it that are emitted, not to mention birds chewing it. A layer of sand spread for them would be better and easily swept up and cleaned and replaced.

:wub: posted same time as lonebudgie apparently

Didnt see you posting KAS , Sorry :(Laughing out loud): . Didnt think the lino was bad , but your right sand is a better option and easy to clean and replace

^_^

• Member ID:  1,930

Thanks for the tips guys.

So you don't think it would be safe for them in a basement? :wub: What if the room was not near the furnace/laundry room?

I guess I'll see you in AUS then guys! ^_^ (Laughing out loud)

Thanks for the tips guys.

So you don't think it would be safe for them in a basement? :wub: What if the room was not near the furnace/laundry room?

I guess I'll see you in AUS then guys! :D lol

I guess it happens...people with birds in basements...BUT

I would think its like you living your life is a cupboard unless all ventilation and lighting requirements were met. ^_^

Lino isnt the true natural lino from years ago that was made from natural products

...it is a vinyl flooring product and is a synthetic product made of chlorinated petrochemicals, where traditional linoleum is produced from all-natural ingredients.

Vinyl flooring has health hazards as it emits vinyl chloride fumes.....these fumes are a known carcinogen ( cancer producing ) .

It will also trap moisture and promote the growth of moulds.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,634
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,442
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  15,475
  • Birthday:  10/11/1989

Slate/tiles ? or just plain concrete? But i can imagine it would be quite... Drafty for them :S

Your right Kaz. This was just an example of a room when the idea came into thought (my grandmas basement workshop room). If I looked for, and made sure I found a house with a finished basement, and at least 1 window in the bird room.. one that can open and let fresh air in, then do you think it would be okay? So I would get natural sunlight, fresh air in warmer months, yet it could still be in the basement so not to noisy or loud for the rest of the house..?

I was thinking about flooring(s). I think I would look for a house with lino, hardwood, or maybe even cement for the proposed bird room (carpet would be okay... just more convenient if it was sweep proof). Then for the aviary bottoms, I would put plywood as the base, with either just newspaper laying on top, or I thought of maybe using pine shavings? There are HUGE bags for like $9.99. It would make the room smell good, the dropping would get buried, it would last a long time (just keep mixing it up and picking out dirty spots weekly), and would be easy to sweep up and change however often as I would need to do so. People say it is not safe to use, but I have used it for breeding budgies and raised many healthy clutches of babies. I also used it on the cage floors and the birds, adults and babies, would love to dig around and forage through it. It gave them something to do if they got bored. I would also break apart a millet and the little 'bulbs' of millet would get hidden in the shavings. The birds loved finding them :D

I was thinking of sand... but I have used it for fish anks before (as substrate) and I can't imagine having to deal with it. It's so heavy, a pain to clean up, and I don't like the look of it too much for an indoor aviary.

Also, to keep things in the aviary, and not all around the room... I would put a barrier made of plywood, maybe 12" tall around the base of the aviary walls. That way feathers, seed husks, and whatever I use for flooring medium will mostl stay contained :D

What do you think?

Edited by Nathan.

Pine shaving is great for nestboxes as its contained. But as flooring with flapping birds moving that dust around, I would not use it in a contained room. Your dust levels would be high. Maybe heavier woodchips would be a better compromise if you dont want to use sand. A lot of breeders also use kitty litter for a base.

Edited by KAZ

Oh yeah, thats a good point I didn't think about either! It would be very dusty... Hmm maybe if I got gardening wood chips. You know, the bigger chunks. Kaz I think you have them in your aviary as a matter of fact! Would they work do you reckon? Im going to be a landscape designer so will be able to have access to a lot of them probably (Laughing out loud).

Kitty litter :D Like the clumping kind? Would that not be bad for them.

Oh yeah, thats a good point I didn't think about either! It would be very dusty... Hmm maybe if I got gardening wood chips. You know, the bigger chunks. Kaz I think you have them in your aviary as a matter of fact! Would they work do you reckon? Im going to be a landscape designer so will be able to have access to a lot of them probably lol.

Kitty litter :D Like the clumping kind? Would that not be bad for them.

If you re read my post above...I suggested the heavier woodchips you talk of.

Not clumping kitty litter...just the cheapest claybased kitty litter.

Oh okay that's what you meant. I was unsure :) Thats a good idea then, I like it! :) I was just trying to think how I would clean sand? Vacume it? sift it? At least with shavings or chips I could mix them around to 'dilute' the look of poop to make it look newer or fresher... and they could last for a while by doing that. Who knows. I may end up moving to AUS and get some outdoor aviary tips from you mates ;)

If I were you I would use kitty litter. Then you can remove any dried up clumps. Use the clay based one and it is safe for birds. If you were to use sand you just sweep the top layer with a brush and pan.

Thats interesting about the cat litter. I will look for tha kind next time im in a shop to get an idea... Thanks for the tip!

That's all you'd do with sand? Maybe it would be a good idea. *thinks to himself*

With sand you use the safe kind that they sell for childrens sandpits and play areas.

Yup I know what you mean :D I may use sand afterall. Who know's!okay guys, here is the sketch I made quick to show you what Im thinking of doing:

AVIARYDESIGNKEEP.jpg

Details are written out there below the flight drawing. To sum it up, I'll make at least 1 of these with money from breeding my cockatiels, if not 2. I will keep my bigger birds in this 'aviary' (flight). So say I have 5 tiels and 5 budgies, I will put the 5 smaller budgies in my blue flight cage I have now, and the 5 tiels in this flight open with no divider in it. Then say I have 2 tiels, and 10 budgies... I'll put the tiels in the blue cage and give this big flight to the budgies. I also would like to breed lovebirds in the future. So that is why I mention them in the sketch.

With the extra money from the cockatiel babies (after making this flight) I will buy some gorgeous budgies and as I said, I'm thinking of lovebirds too. If thats the case, I may get 4-6 budgies and however many (maybe proven or young sexed pair) of lovebirds, and put the species divided in this flight :D That would work great! I will also be making breeding cages, or buying brand new wired cages cheap from my warehouse freinds like I did before... to use for breeding once birds are old enough and in condition. What do you think?ps- the reason it's 'only' 5 feet long is incase I move, hopefully it will be managable to carry and move to my new house. I wanted bigger, but then I'd have to dis-assemble or sell the cage... then whats the point? So this way I still get a decent sized cage, and even still.. TWO decent sized cages for probably $150 custom home built :D

Oh I'd like to add. The doors will be 3' tall and 30" wide. Wow that seems big now that I think about it (Laughing out loud)! Oh well. Then that leaves 2 feet above the door for birds to go while the door is open. *I may end up making the doors smaller now that I think about it... Hmmm*

Edited by Nathan.

Make the aviary as tall as ceiling height in the room they are going in......may as well use the space. Make the doors narrower and full height ( as it looks like you are getting taller, not wider and fatter :o ) .

(Laughing out loud)! :yellowhead:

I was also going to make it taller (was thinking of 6') but then again... what if I move and the flight cannot move around a corner or something, becuase of it's height or something. You know what I mean? I would rather be safe than sorry...

ahaha yes I am, thank goodness! :) I think Im going to make a new design today, one more better suited. I really don't like how I have the doors in the above one. Not sure why I did them that way and big? (Laughing out loud)

Stay tuned for an updated drawing!

LOL! :yellowhead:

I was also going to make it taller (was thinking of 6') but then again... what if I move and the flight cannot move around a corner or something, becuase of it's height or something. You know what I mean? I would rather be safe than sorry...

ahaha yes I am, thank goodness! :) I think Im going to make a new design today, one more better suited. I really don't like how I have the doors in the above one. Not sure why I did them that way and big? lol

Stay tuned for an updated drawing!

If you make your aviary in panels that screw together, then moving would just mean undoing screws and disassembling and everything then travels as flat panels.

Yet another good idea. But then I would need more wood, and that means money. So since I am not sure how well off I will be at the time I may not be able to afford it. You bring up a good point though Kaz, and It sounds reasonable. Then I can make it however big I would like *Hmmm...*

UPDATE:

So I thought about it, and Yes I still want to make a flight cage with wood and wire myself e.t.c. However, I have found some very cheap places selling brand new wire cages that made me think!

There is a kit of 3 white breeding cages, 24" x 16" x 16"... with a stand, perches, and cups, for only $100 :D

The same place also has white 36" x 18" x 18" dividable flights, in a set of 3, WITH stand for only $200 :D

Also found a place with black, 32" x 18" x 26" flight cage (like my blue one) with perches and cups, for $115 :D

So I thought about it, and this is what I am thinking of doing (assuming I could go out RIGHT now and get them, yes again Im planning ahead and this deal might not still be on, but what the heck, im dreamin'! :yellowhead: ):

-getting TWO of the triple stacked 24"x16"x16" cages.......... TOTAL $200

-getting TWO of the triple stacked 36"x18"x18" cages.......... TOTAL $400

-getting TWO of the black 32"x18"x36" flight cages.............. TOTAL $230

-then having my current blue flight cage aswell................... FREE!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL TOTAL.......... $830.00

That's only 5 cockatiel babies that I would need to sell to get all those things, and still have $70 left over for other things (toys, perches, nest boxes e.t.c)

Then any babies after that would go towards getting birds to fill 'em up :)

So then I would have 3 flight cages (one for lovies, one for budgies, one for tiels) that would house non-breeding birds.

The bigger breeding cages (6 total) would hold my breeding pairs of cockatiels, and young babies weaned and ready for new homes.

Then the smaller breeding cages (6 total) would hold my breeding pairs of lovebirds and budgies, as well as young weaned babies.

Again, I have changed my mind... but this would work out awesome! Then I would not have to build anything (although I may still build flights) for a while. It would also look nicer if the room was full of nice looking, same styled, cleanly setup cages. Rather than a mumble jumble of different styles and stuff (home made vs bought). Know what I mean? It would also be easier to move around if I had these style and sized cages. :D

Edited by Nathan.

A stack of flight cages is NOT an aviary Nathan

Yes, good point mate. Oh well, at least I can still have a lot of birds and give them adequate housing. Plus out of cage time daily :yellowhead:

I just drew up what all these 7 cages would look like side by side.

Here is the quick sketch:

BoughtCagesPlanbirdroom.jpg

Edited by Nathan.

You will probably change your mind a million times between now and becoming independant and living on your own, Nathan. Thats what life does to us. Its fun to plan ahead though :yellowhead:

(Laughing out loud) again Kaz, you are right :yellowhead:

Think how many times I have changed my mind in the past day regarding flights/aviaries and cages, let alone the years until I can do this plan...