Wing Clipping

Guest Luckys Gal

Guest Luckys Gal

Personally i dont agree with this...

do u clip ur budgies wings? if so y? if not y not?

i think a budgie has wings for 1 reason, to fly...! I dont want to wreck their flying ability!! this is just my opinion ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

totally agree with you there is no reason for anybody to clip wings a budgie has wings for 1 reason, to fly hath

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  611
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

Its so cruel! Its like cutting off an arm i recon! ;)

I would NEVER do that to my pet budgie or infact any bird!

I cant believe anyone does that!

Guest PyscoFalcon

I think it's so cruel and unjust. Most in the US do it regually and say it's for "there own safty"

Yet they don't chop a babies legs off where there trying to walk and bump into things!

All my birds are fully flighted and much happier. The parrot I rescued hardly had any wings when I got her and was misrable - now she loves flying around the room and can get out of the way of others (and husband) if she wants.

Weather or not ther eclipped you should still make sure all windows and outside doors are closed when there not in cages.

• 1 month later...
Guest birdlover12

I know u will all be mad at me but I used to think it was cruel, so I didn't cut them, but one day while I was at school my dad opened the door just to put the bag in front of the door and my bird flew out (cucu,the cockatiel) then the worst thing was that an eagle was chasing him I was so scared (my local breeder told me to leave his cage out so he would come back but he didn't) then the next day after he had flew away my dad caught him by climbing a tree and by my bird's trust, since then I cut his wings but he can still fly VERY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D SORRY IF I UPSET YOU GUYS, I'm just tellin' u guys my reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest birdlover12

Although this is CRUEL, we who do do this have good reasons or atleast I do but I don't cut my budgie's wings just my cockatiels cuz my cockatiel still flies from downstairs to upstairs with his wings clipped!

My budgies don't, if I cut theirs they will get eaten up!

But eventually they will grow back, I don't cut them I get all nervous and afraid I might make a mistake so my dad does that!

there is no good reason

dont open the door while your bird is out. it is cruel

Guest birdlover12

I don't think I'm that blind <_< !

IT'S NOT MY FAULT :fear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by birdlover12

never do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gummylick

Hi guys,

I'm a new budgie owner (just got them this past Sunday) and sadly, I *just* clipped their wings yesterday. My reasons: to help tame my birdies and so that they and I can get used to them in the house and what the threats to them are. After they grow back this first time, I don't plan on reclipping them. By then, I should hope we've formed a good bond and I know what things I need to do to let them fly safe (close doors, turn off ceiling fan.. watch windows). It's a learning process for us, yesterday, after their clipping, I let them out of the cage for the first time and discovered they're like for electrical cords :bluebudgie: ! I'm going to build them a little "dojo" this weekend so they can get tons of exercise.

Edited by gummylick
Guest budgieteen
then the worst thing was that an eagle was chasing him I was so scared

i am glad you got him back but imagine he got out again (i know you will say that he won't)but just imagine he did,he would not be able to get away again would he?

of course it is up to you if you clip your birds wings but i personally think it is unneccasary,unfair and unjustified.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest luvbudgies

i have 9 of my own birds 8 are budgies and the other is a princess cross regent. two budgies are tame and i had their wing cliped just to get them a little tame with being comfortable with being around people. also one was being had reard for the last part and was flying. my princess parrot had his wing clips once. now his tame and goes crazy when i go and see him and flies around the enclosure and inside the house when he wants. i don't belive you shpould always clip a birds wing as the also need some little freedom to stretch their wings. we had this lorrikeet that had his wing hacked at and he was abandond and couldn't fly so he was ran over by a truck and then a car and still managed to survive. my great aunt found him and gave him to us. his name is lucky and he had lost all flight feathers and is quite happy in the avairy living in the log with the other lorrikeet. that's why i think wing clipping is bad and i only do it once to a bird i'm taming. but i'm taming a bird in her cage. who's wing haven't been cliped yet.

:blink:

Guest jacko the budgie

I gather there is quite some differences of opinions to this subject, I am new to budgies and was told to initially have his wings clipped. Having done that my training of him should be easier!!

However now reading these posts I may have been wrong, so what is the right/best way to train my Jacko?

What I would eventually like him to do, is when I come home from work, let him out to fly around, and to come back to me. I have had him for 2 weeks and so far I can't get near him without him making a lot of what appears to be panicking squeeks?

I place my hand into his cage and just leave it there for him to get used to it, but he is just sqawking alot, what should I do?????

:blink:

Guest jacko the budgie

I went to my pet shop to get some more seed, I asked the owner about getting Jacko confident with me, she suggested that I pick him up and hold him to my chest and quietly stroke him, I did this and before I knew it, he just sat there checking me out, he climb up onto my shoulder and just stood there.

I walked back to his cage and he was happy to jump back into it. I waited about another 20 minutes and did it again, he loved it, he doesn't squeek now when I put my hand into his cage.

I got some good avice and it seems to be working well, I am using the info from here and from my local pet shop.

Thanks guys.

Bob

:wub:

Hello, I'm getting a Budgie tommarow and I have some decicions to make I need some bird people to help me out. Do they **** like alot all over your room? Pros/Cons Wing clipping. Do they SLEEP at night or are they all crazy loud at night? If your reading this please dont ignore it, i really need these questions answered for tommarow.. Thanks alot

:wub: BIRDY!!! :)

Guest budgieteen

budgies are like us and sleep at night however some do have 'nighfrights' and that is just like a nightmare so you should go in the room and turn a dim light on

they do poo all over your room if you let them out but not very much

and jacko that is reallly cool i have never heard of doing that with a budgie before.

Hello, I'm getting a Budgie tommarow and I have some decicions to make I need some bird people to help me out. Do they **** like alot all over your room? Pros/Cons Wing clipping. Do they SLEEP at night or are they all crazy loud at night? If your reading this please dont ignore it, i really need these questions answered for tommarow.. Thanks alot

:wub: BIRDY!!! :)

okay, im pritty expreinced at this.

1. They HARDLY mess up your house.

You will have a bit of poop, but that dries like paste. Easy to clean.

The feathers will be everywhere.

2 DO NOT CLIP YOUR BUDGIES WINGS

It is the MOST cruel thing to do.

How would you like it if someone cut off ur arms?

3 They do sleep at night.

They are really quite at night, trust me, i have 512 of them!

(Unless something scares them, then they will go Wild)

Hope this helped.

I am COMPLEATLY against wing clipping, and I will refuse to hear about it.

Its like cutting off your arms!