• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,475
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

We've been trying to figure out what our birds are doing. Namely Psyche.

All three birds get ample out of cage time each day. Cupid and Psyche are getting to be great flyers - no crashes into walls and they are consistently go back to their cage instead of getting lost somewhere in the room. They love coming out and are getting braver in where they land in reference to us.

We've noticed some interesting dynamics between Psyche and Baby and we're trying to figure out what's going on. When Baby is by their cage, Psyche doesn't behave much differently. However, in the rest of the room, when they're on the floor or by Baby's cage, Psyche continually seems to harass Baby. We call it harassment not because of physical contact or verbal bickering, but because Baby seems to be bothered by it. Psyche will fly over to be by Baby on her cage. She'll fly out of her house and over to her, buzz around her and go back to her cage. Baby always seems dazed and confused by this.

Is Psyche just being friendly? Perhaps Baby doesn't know how to deal with it because she's been without other birds for 15 years. Or is this sort of behavior indicative of a larger dynamic?

:hap: Not a budgie psychologist but since Baby has been without other birdy contacts for several years now, I would imagine she would be hesitant and Psyche is just either trying to be friendly or checking her out. Best you supervise them as you have been doing as Baby is getting on in years :ygbudgie:

• 3 weeks later...
We've been trying to figure out what our birds are doing. Namely Psyche.

All three birds get ample out of cage time each day. Cupid and Psyche are getting to be great flyers - no crashes into walls and they are consistently go back to their cage instead of getting lost somewhere in the room. They love coming out and are getting braver in where they land in reference to us.

We've noticed some interesting dynamics between Psyche and Baby and we're trying to figure out what's going on. When Baby is by their cage, Psyche doesn't behave much differently. However, in the rest of the room, when they're on the floor or by Baby's cage, Psyche continually seems to harass Baby. We call it harassment not because of physical contact or verbal bickering, but because Baby seems to be bothered by it. Psyche will fly over to be by Baby on her cage. She'll fly out of her house and over to her, buzz around her and go back to her cage. Baby always seems dazed and confused by this.

Is Psyche just being friendly? Perhaps Baby doesn't know how to deal with it because she's been without other birds for 15 years. Or is this sort of behavior indicative of a larger dynamic?

: Hi, I'm not a professional on this but I have a Male and Female who had five babies. Four boys and one girl. My female Mother always fly's to the baby female cage and does the same thing no contact but the Mother tries to knock stuff from her cage or just harass her. This has been going on for two years now. The baby bird is kind of used to it. In my opinion I think it is that the Mother in the wild probably makes other females leave her nest or area of living. It was to the point were I keep the baby female in my bedroom with me and the Mother and Father have there house next to the boy's cage. I don't know if this will help you. I just think it is maybe territorial. :D

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

How is everything going now?

• Member ID:  2,995
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,475

Baby still doesn't look like she's really comfortable being around them, however a lot of the time out of her cage, she spends on top of their cage. Psyche hasn't been so actively bugging her anymore either. I noticed last night that Baby has turned into a Cupid mimic, singing like he does for long periods of time. *L* So maybe she's getting more used to them, even liking them in a way. We've kind of limited their contact for a while now to avoid conflict. Maybe we can start letting them be together more.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.21
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

good to hear