Help! Fast!

Guest zoeandkiwi

Guest zoeandkiwi

I uncover the budgies this morning and seen spatter of blood on the wale behind them! I took Kiwi out first to examine him and one side of him is covered in blood.

The blood is not coming from a tip of a feather its coming from closer to the wing. I thought it was a short feather so I tried to pull it but Kiwi yellped in pain and Im not sure if their is a feather their or if its where the wing goes in.

It was sorta stopped bleeding (not 100%) but while trying to remove the feather or no feather, I removed the blood clot by accident. I applied some corn starch to it.

What should I do?

What can I do to help him with the blood loss he has already experienced?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Julie

You did the right thing to apply cornstarch. Keep a close eye on him and any sign at all of weakness all you can do is take him to vet as an emergency if the bleeding hasn't stopped by now.

Julie

Guest zoeandkiwi

I think that its stopped, its hard to tell. Because when I try to look at it I nock it a bit and it starts to bleed. Kiwi is preening blood and corn starch off himself now is that bad?

He wont just drop dead right? What should I watch for?

• Member ID:  875
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

Is there anyway you can get him to a vets and get him checked out now or is it night time there. I would get him there asap just to be on the safe side.

How is he in himself?

Guest zoeandkiwi

Its 8:30Am,

I phone the vets emergency service, and they phone me back to tell me that I could monitor him for a little while or bring him in. They have an Appt. at 9:20 but my mom has the car and wont be back untill around9:45-10

I might be able to get him an appt this afternoon, what would the vet do for him?

He is chowing down on millet right now, he seems to be acting pretty normal. Aftern I tormented him examining him and trying to pull a no feather (poor baby) He was a little shaken up for a bit. Now he is moving about and eating the millet. And preening his corn starch wing.

He has a fair bit of blood on him still, but I already tryed to wash it off a few times and I think he starting to calm down a bit so I am just going to leave it for now.

What did the vets say, Ive no idea what they will do to him but if it was me I would take him down - is there anyway you can get a taxi down there.

I think the lamp is a good idea.

I really hope he is okay its really good that he is eating - I wonder what happened to the feather to make it bleed.

Guest eterri

If the feather is still bleeding at all, it needs to be pulled by the vet. They'd probably pull it anyway just to prevent it from starting to bleed all over again.

Hope everything turns out okay!

i hope hes okay! the vet will probarbly remove the feather but dont be tempted to remove it yourself, good luck and try not to hadle him wheres hes bleeding, budgies dont have that much blood in their bodys, hope all goes well!

Guest zoeandkiwi

I dont think there is anything to pull,

Does it hurt the budgies when you pull a t feather, because kiwi screemed at me when I tried to pull on something. I think I ended up pulling a bunch of clotted blood away and there was just a whole which I think the feather sits in.(I think)

He is preening the wing like crazy now, will he cause any damage?

I don think I could get a cab down to where I live in time.

I could try for a little latter of a appt.

Maybe its scabbing over and him preening is just speading the dried blood making it look worse - I would definitely get him down to the vets later on then - if anything it will put your mind at rest eh?

Guest eterri

Yeah, I agree with Boomery. It sounds like there was a significant amount of blood so it would be good to have him checked out as soon as you're able.

Guest zoeandkiwi

Oh my! He cleaned it right up. I just checked on his wing and there is only a tiny smudge of what could be fresh blood, but cant I find the source anymore. And there is also no sign of corn startch and there was lots their. Silly boy, that must have tasted yummy.

Im going to check it again in about 15minutes to see if there is any more blood. Could he have nocked or pulled the bleeding feather out? Im wondering why there did not seem to be a feather to pull?

Edited by zoeandkiwi
Guest eterri

He may have broken or cracked the base of a feather? See if you can find one lying in the cage somewhere in case it did come out.

Guest zoeandkiwi

okay Ill check the cage.

The blood smeared on the wall looks like it has been dry for a while. I do remember that last night after I covered them up, someone hit the floor and then climbed back up. I did not check because this usually happens, they usually squable for about 2 minutes at bedtime and sometimes one will get pushed or they will miss judge a jump to another perch. Expecially Kiwi, he has a bail attitude. When I try to get him from the top of the cage, he jumps straight up into the air and then falls straight down to the ground. So He will sometime do the same thing if argueing with the zoe.

Seems a mystery doesnt it.

Piggy Kiwi it must have tasted really good, lets hope he doesnt bash himself anymore so he gets corn starch applied hehe.

Seriously though let us know how he bears up.

Guest zoeandkiwi

okay I found this puppy on the cage floor, at first I though it looked like a Zoe feather, but one side is tinted green so that makes it a kiwi feather.

f3.jpg

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

Thats pretty thick so looks like thats the cause hopefully then now its come away the bleeding will stop and it will heal up.

Have you decided whether to take him along to the vets or not?

Guest eterri

Hrm. I dunno, I don't think that one's the culprit. It looks like it was just molted out but I could be wrong. If it was the cause of the blood, it should have blood on it and it looks very clean.

Guest zoeandkiwi

Kiwi came out and played on top of the cage for a bit and on the gym. Now they are both preening again, kiwi is focusing mainly on that side.

What happens if a bird in the wild breaks a blood feather?

Seems like he is bearing up.

I would still get him checked over if only for the amount of blood he appeared to have lost.

Big brave Kiwi!

Guest zoeandkiwi

No I have not decided yet,

I was going to check on him in 10 minutes to see how it looks.

If there is no sign of fresh blood and he is still playing and eating, I dont think Ill go. What do you think?

If there is still fresh blood I will make him an appt.

I can go to the 9:20 one though, its 9:18 and I have no way to get there.

Guest eterri

I'm guessing the same thing that happens in capitivity. It might be okay and might not. But I'll bet it's pretty rare that a wild bird breaks a blood feather as they have so much space to move. A lot of the time, night frights cause broken blood feathers because the bird thrashes about against the cage and toys. I don't know if wild budgies have night frights but if they do, they've unlimited space the thrash.

Guest zoeandkiwi

Do you think they will be able to anything for the blood loss? I dont not want to go... but I prefer not to stress him out like that unless they will be able to do something for him.

I dont know Ive never had anything like this happen. I guess if its dried though and there is no fresh blood maybe you dont have to take him - how about you make the appointment for this afternoon anyways and you can always cancel it later if things seem okay eh?