Wants to go back to cage

Guest new2budgies

Guest new2budgies

Hi,

We brought our budgie home one week ago. We don't have experience with them at all. He is friendly (hand raised), and will come on our finger right away, and he doesn't bite. What I have noticed is that he wants to get back to his cage pretty quickly. He came with clipped wings, so he doesn't quite make it to his cage most of the time. The store told me he's a month old.

Is it normal for a new budgie to want to do this? Does it take time for them to enjoy staying out of the cage? (He does seem to stay out longer for my children than for me, but not always)

And, is there something we should/could do, to have him stay out (or off of) his cage?

Thanks,

new2budgies

Guest littlebluebobo

I think this is very normal. You have only had him a short time. I would say just be patient. When you take him out of his cage go into another room or somewhere where he can't see the cage while you paly with him. Eventually he will see you as a fun friend and will prefer you over the cage. Again just be patient.

Guest oscarchik101

yeah i have had four budgies (only have one right now :wub: ) and all of mine seemed to be pretty cage bound... must be like horses and wanting to get back to the barn. however, since mine is a lone bird, she seems to not mind being away from the cage as long as she's with me... if i leave the room tho, its like WHERES MY MUM?

Guest new2budgies

Hi

Thank you for your input. Today we took him out of the room that his cage is in. The dogs were outside having a run around at the time. We have a large aquarium, with a few fish, and our budgie Sweetie, was facinated with them. He kept flying over the the aquarium to sit on the side and watch them. They swim about quite a bit, and Sweetie almost started falling asleep watching them, until someone tried to pick him up. At one point the four fish that are active and out, decided to take off. Sweetie got very active climbing along trying to find them. He sat on my finger for a while, and ate some fruit from our hands.

My kids, being smarter than me a lot of the time (maybe because they have more energy too) have noticed that Sweetie will try to get back to his cage if he's close enough, but not if he's further away. Even when he's in the same room.

There are two things that I noticed today. One is that his cere (sp?) seems to be coloring blue. I didn't notice any color on it the other day when I looked for it. The other is that his tail wings seem to be sewn together. I'm positive that is a thread there. Is this a normal thing that pet stores do, and why? They did clip his wings. Someone asked me if his tail was short or long. I'm not sure how to tell which it is, as I don't know

I took a photo of him, but I'm not sure how to load it up here. I'm interested to know what variety he is (if that's the right term).

He has black stripes on the top of his head and wings. A tiny bit of yellow around his beak on his cheaks, and a turquiose blue tummy and tail feathers.

Thanks,

new2budgies :(Laughing out loud):

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

That's funny about Sweetie watching the fish. :wub:

I've never heard of sewing the tail feathers together. If you think there is thread, take it off. As far as the length of them, in a very young bird (under 6 weeks or so) the tail just hasn't had a chance to grow to full length yet. It will just look short. :)

He sounds beautiful.

Guest new2budgies

Hi Rainbow,

Thank you for the link to post photos. I have to get it off of the camera, onto another computer with image software, and then I can try to upload the photo. It's silly really as I've used computers and the internet for a long time, but never a forum with this setup. Even the clickable smilies are an interesting challenge for me. Sweetie is really nice. I don't get the impression that his tail is too short. :wub::) (ooops, now I have to figure out if I can undo the smilies, sorry)

I have to say that of all the pets we have or have had, this little budgie is one of the easiest and nicest little things. We love all animals, and at times it seems a bit of a zoo here. There are the two dogs as well as two aquariums (one recently added), a young ball python, and my eldest just got herself a box turtle, plus our little Sweetie. I think we need a bigger house, just for our pets :)

I can see why everyone loves budgies so much. I've started working on repeating small phrases, like "hello sweetie", and "who's a pretty birdie", in the hope that he'll talk one day.

Thanks again,

new2budgies

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Keep working on that talking :wub: he may amaze you one day! Teapot came out with a totally untaught phrase last night, one he'd just picked up (he says many, many things) he said '' ooh plop! teapot done plop! goodboyyyyyy teapot!!!'' heheh! the good boy teapot has been said for ages, but the plop thing had me in stitches laughing, cos its totally out of the blue! ( i do always say to him tho when he does that little action of squeezing his eyes shut, ''has teapot done a plop? have you done a plop on mummy/'' and i guess he's just learned it, (Laughing out loud)!

ps if you want to email any pics to me i will post them for you until you get the hang of it xx chirpy001@hotmail.com

Edited by chirpy