• Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  981
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,495
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  28/07/1993

Hey my 5 year old hen Lumina laid a couple of eggs over the weekend on the bottom of her cage shredded everything in the bottom too. One off the eggs looked like she could have ate it, it looked like after a chick hatches and there are nick marks on it.

So she is a great mother she has raised 3 clutches with about 15chicks in total.

But I was wondering if I let her start a clutch now would it be pushing it. It's also the wrong time of year hear to it nearing into winter. (I mean they are kept inside so the weather really isnt the problem.)

• Member ID:  7,065
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  391
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,185
  • Birthday:  02/05/1936

Hi If your birds are indoors. No problem breeding in winter provided parents are fit & well...B.J.

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

Sounds to me like she's going to try regardless.

I'd give her a box and let her go or you might get a chronic egg layer on your hands which would be more harmful.

They don't have the same guidelines that we have on what is supposed to be the right times.

Just be aware older hens can have egg problems but she is laying them anyway so give her plenty of calcium and vitamin D.

Cheers Jenny

• Member ID:  4,257

Thanks guys.

Thats the reason I didnt really want to breed her because she is an older girl and she has had 3 clutches already so to me that's alot for her I stopped breeding her when she turned 4. I knew also that when you breed budgies it's hard to stop them.

So I think she is going to do it regardless like you said hilly, because she is being persistant sitting on the two eggs she had three but I think because the cage floor is harder to grip she may have slipped and cracked the other egg.

She is alone so I don't know what spurred this. She can hear and see her mate but they are seperated.

But bless her though she is acting all like it was planned stepping off to show me her eggs all proud like how she would if I were breeding her.

Her daughter was a cronic egg layer (who started laying at 3 months way before sexual maturity) I honestly don't think I could handle another!

I wanted to get her a new cage too so she didnt have a hole in the side where the nest box sat....I think she knew my plans. xD

I think over the next few days I might see what I can do, she's really threw my plans in the gutter though. lol. (I am sorry if that sounds completely selfish)

I was going to see my cousin for her birthday in a few weeks and stay for a week or so, but I have no one to watch the birds if I did, aspecially if she had chicks.

Anyway thanks again BJ and hilly.

Heres a picture of the lady herself.

DSCF0001.jpg

Edited by Jodie

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

You could leave her sit on the infertile eggs that should keep her quiet for a few weeks. Maybe it might satisfy her urge.

Cheers Jenny

Edited by hilly

You could leave her sit on the infertile eggs that should keep her quiet for a few weeks. Maybe it might satisfy her urge.

Cheers Jenny

That was what I was hoping. That sitting on them and she knows what fertile eggs feel like so she'd eventually get 'bored' and abandon them. I do feel awfully selfish though...

As of today she has 3 eggs and still sitting intensely on them I cleaned her and the others out today. I put her eggs into another tray to make it easier for me to clean her out without physically touching the eggs.

Also I checked up on the cock her mate today I could'nt breed them even if they wanted...he's moulting heavily. So he's getting some TLC and moulting tonic. So she'll have to make do with her empty eggs.

What foods can I give her to keep her healthy. I tried chicken eggs boiled and mashed with peas and shell she wont eat it. And buying a bag of eggfood its more for chicks than the mother herself- and doesnt have to much nutrion value to her.

She's starving herself a little you know as they do (The male is suppossed to feed her)

Thank you guys for being so helpful and persisting with me.

(Sorry I am little rusty having not bred budgies in over a year or so)