• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  230
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/05/1991

So, I don't breed many budgies a year but I'd like to put leg rings on them just for my own benefit of knowing when they were born, etc.

Where can I buy leg rings?

Do I have to buy specific ones for a certain type of budgie ie. spangle/pied etc?

I'd really appreciate the specifics!

Also, at what age do the leg rings go onto the chicks legs?

Thanks,

Ellie.

Guest K&M Breeding

So, I don't breed many budgies a year but I'd like to put leg rings on them just for my own benefit of knowing when they were born, etc.

Where can I buy leg rings?

Do I have to buy specific ones for a certain type of budgie ie. spangle/pied etc?

Also, at what age do the leg rings go onto the chicks legs?

Thanks,

Ellie.

I don't know where you'd buy them in your country but no you don't buy specific ones for each mutation you just get one set that is budgie size :) I band mine at 9 days old Sometimes I have to do it a day or 2 sooner some times a day or 2 later depending on how big the leg is, If I put it on and can easily take it right back off Then the leg is to small and I try the next day and on until it stays on Another thing I do is If I can't get it on say the right foot (I am right handed so I just automatically band the right foot of my birds) Then I try the left. because like us birds have 1 foot that is "dominant" over the other (I forget the proper term) but one is a little bigger than the other just like with us :D So sometimes if a band won't fit one leg it goes on smoothly on another. and if there are times I've ran late and I can't get it on either foot I put a touch of Vaseline on a Q-tip and coat the inside of the band and put a tiny bit on their toes and it slides on with ease. then I just use a damp paper towel and wipe any excess off and then dry their foot off.

I buy mine from a company here in the U.S. I get a different color for each year and each species (that part is basically just for me though I keep my bands in a clear plastic container and when I go to band babies for me its just easier if I look in the container and grab the color i need instead of rooting through all the bags and reading the label on them It takes me less time to just reach in grab the color I need and band the baby that way ) I also have my breeder code, state, and The year along with the bird ID number which when I buy mine I start with 1 (I get them in packs of 25) so they're numbered 1 through 25 if I run out before the year is up then my next pack goes by when the last one stopped so If I get a second pack it would start with 26

• Member ID:  6,621
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,110

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Where can I buy leg rings? If you are a member of a budgie club or bird club you can buy your rings through the club. Some good bird stores sell rings. Lentradirect ( ebay ) sell rings .

Do I have to buy specific ones for a certain type of budgie ie. spangle/pied etc? At the stage you ring their legs you ( in most cases ) wont know what mutation they are going to be.....so no not specific ones for a specific mutation. Budgie rings are a set size and one size fits all

Also, at what age do the leg rings go onto the chicks legs? Mine 5-6 days but mine are show budgies....pet types maybe a shade older depending on size of legs and feet and the rings staying on once you put them on. I ring left legs but thats just due to how I hold them and how I do it

• Member ID:  6,367
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  230
  • Birthday:  02/05/1991

thanks for the help everyone.

If my budgies breed, their chicks will have you to thank for having a special little ring on their leg. :-)

Edited by Ellie