• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  40
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone,

I am a novice bird owner in that I have only ever had a couple of birds when I was young and now I have had Puff for 11 years. She was a 'rescue'. My friend found her and 2 others in a garage about 11 years ago and talked the lady into giving them up. Then she had too many birds and gave me Puff. We (my son and I) have had her for 11 years and she has been a happy bird. She usually has her cage opened first thing in the morning and she goes to a huge mirror on and off through the day. We have a chinchilla and occasionally dogsit. (Chinchilla's do not get fleas etc because their fur is so thick). So the problem: about 3 months ago (beginning of summer) she began to fuss every once in a while. It lasts for only seconds and it seems as though she is being bitten. She desperately looks at her tummy or over her shoulder or some part of her body and picks or scratches. She might then talk off flying as though she is trying to get away from the irritation. That is it! Then she is fine, sometimes for hours, sometimes longer. This happened anywhere from 0 - 3 or 4 times a day until recently. Now she is beginning to fuss more often. Last night she really was distressed for 15 or 20 seconds. She isn't pulling out feathers but she picks at herself and cries out when this happens. It worries me. She has white paper towel on her cage bottom and I see no evidence of blood there, although the last time I cleaned it, it had tiny, minute bright red spots (spots is too big of a word - smaller than a pin head) under her one perch - only a few of them. Is it possible she is harboring a flea? She is not hand friendly and at her age I don't want to traumatize her by catching and examining her, she has never had that treatment before. We have no vet within 2 hours of here, only a large animal vet. Otherwise she seems happy and healthy. I would say this maybe tiring to her though, she has more naps and seems more tired on fussy days. Thank you for listening and for input. We love her and I would like to relieve this and get her out of her distress! I will also add she isn't actually losing feathers.. only the regular molt about every 3 or 4 months.

Edited by Puff

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Budgies dont get fleas. They do get various kinds of mites ( feather mites and scalyface mites and red mites ). They can get infested with red mites in their environment thats can go onto the bird and suck their blood. Red mites look tiny and grey till engorged with blood and then look like red specks. Red mites are introduced into the environment and can come from other creatures like poultry, other birds, tree branches etc.

Its possible puffs environment has red mites maybe. Time to get out a magnifying glass and take a real close look about. Red mites eggs look like specks of pepper and hide in crevices.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  6,948
  • Followers:  0

If it is mites, what is the best course of treatment? As I mention, I have no access to bird supplies, vets etc in this small town. I read online about A.I.L. and have not yet located a place to buy it. Is there an organic treatment for mites? What would you do?

I have a jewelers microscope so I can look reeeally close, I'll try the perches. I also took some of her bath water and examined it under a regular microscope and didn't see anything bug-like. By the way, thank you - I know this is tiring answering questions like this. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Puff

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  675

11is quite old for a budgie

11is quite old for a budgie

I've been told that and I also that it is possible she has angina. Yesterday I cleaned her cage and poured boiling water over everything. Last night I did the white sheet with the flashlight and found nothing. I also took the bottom of her cage paper and examined it too. Nothing! Her face and legs look fine. I just don't see any evidence of mites - but her fussing is so worrisome. I'm sure you know what I mean. After 11 years you get VERY attached. I may have to face it.. she may be near the end of her life span.

Edited by Puff

Thanks for the input...even this has made me feel more confident that she doesn't have mites. I have looked with microscopes and everything so... what it is I don't know but I am sure she doesn't have mites which was my #1 concern.. (after resolving the flea thing).

Edited by Puff

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Another possibility

Giardia

What is Giardia?

Giardia is a parasite that is found in the small intestine of infected birds, dogs, cats, humans, and other mammals. It is shed in the feces and is able to survive outside of the animal, with birds in such places as perches, food bowls, cage bars, play gyms, and water. People, birds, and other animals become infected when they ingest the parasite. Giardia occurs frequently in budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, African Grays, and Grey Cheeked Parakeets, although other species also become infected when ingesting the parasite.

Can I tell if my bird has Giardia?

Birds will often appear without symptoms, but can show signs of loose droppings, weakness, anorexia, depression, yeast infections. Some birds will start itching as a result and may tear out their feathers, sometimes screaming as they do, or act like they have fleas, most likely in their flank and leg areas. They can also exhibit what is known as "pica", which is appearing as if they are licking non-food items, like toys, perches, etc.

Testing for Giardia

There are several tests for Giardia available and in use by avian vets, such as the fecal trichrome, the ELISA test, Crypto/Giardia IFA, fecal mounts, plus others.

Note: We believe that the fecal trichrome test is the most reliable test for diagnosing Giardia. We have evidence of birds that have tested negative under other test methods and then test positive using the fecal trichrome. We also believe that collection of the first morning feces will provide the best opportunity to detect the parasite, since Giardia is not consistently shed in the feces. (For most larger birds this will be the "morning big one." For smaller birds, such as budgies and cockatiels, they don't have a "morning big one," so the important issue is to make sure that the sample is collected fresh, within minutes.) Collection of THREE samples over a period of 3 days is optimum for catching the organism, since it is intermittently shed in the feces.

The Merck Veterinary Manual , 8th edition, recommends: "Because Giardia are excreted intermittently, several fecal examinations should be performed if giardiasis is suspected. Samples from three consecutive days should be examined."

Another advantage to using the fecal trichrome is that the lab will also be able to detect things in addition to Giardia, such as:

flagellates, such as trichomonas and hexamita

cyst forms of flagellates

ova, such as ascarids

yeast

bacteria

white blood cells, red blood cells, and other cellular components

The good news about Giardia is that it is treatable. If your bird tests positive, seek assistance from your vet. Any treatment should ALWAYS be done through your avian vet.

• 3 weeks later...

Another possibility

Giardia

What is Giardia?

Giardia is a parasite that is found in the small intestine of infected birds, dogs, cats, humans, and other mammals. It is shed in the feces and is able to survive outside of the animal, with birds in such places as perches, food bowls, cage bars, play gyms, and water. People, birds, and other animals become infected when they ingest the parasite. Giardia occurs frequently in budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, African Grays, and Grey Cheeked Parakeets, although other species also become infected when ingesting the parasite.

Can I tell if my bird has Giardia?

Birds will often appear without symptoms, but can show signs of loose droppings, weakness, anorexia, depression, yeast infections. Some birds will start itching as a result and may tear out their feathers, sometimes screaming as they do, or act like they have fleas, most likely in their flank and leg areas. They can also exhibit what is known as "pica", which is appearing as if they are licking non-food items, like toys, perches, etc.

Testing for Giardia

There are several tests for Giardia available and in use by avian vets, such as the fecal trichrome, the ELISA test, Crypto/Giardia IFA, fecal mounts, plus others.

Note: We believe that the fecal trichrome test is the most reliable test for diagnosing Giardia. We have evidence of birds that have tested negative under other test methods and then test positive using the fecal trichrome. We also believe that collection of the first morning feces will provide the best opportunity to detect the parasite, since Giardia is not consistently shed in the feces. (For most larger birds this will be the "morning big one." For smaller birds, such as budgies and cockatiels, they don't have a "morning big one," so the important issue is to make sure that the sample is collected fresh, within minutes.) Collection of THREE samples over a period of 3 days is optimum for catching the organism, since it is intermittently shed in the feces.

The Merck Veterinary Manual , 8th edition, recommends: "Because Giardia are excreted intermittently, several fecal examinations should be performed if giardiasis is suspected. Samples from three consecutive days should be examined."

Another advantage to using the fecal trichrome is that the lab will also be able to detect things in addition to Giardia, such as:

flagellates, such as trichomonas and hexamita

cyst forms of flagellates

ova, such as ascarids

yeast

bacteria

white blood cells, red blood cells, and other cellular components

The good news about Giardia is that it is treatable. If your bird tests positive, seek assistance from your vet. Any treatment should ALWAYS be done through your avian vet.

Thank you, this seems more probable. She continues to 'fuss' a few times everyday and otherwise seems okay although more quiet. I will get on testing right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had her fecal matter sent away and she has no parasites and no infection of any kind. She does still fuss but not so often now and she seems happier lately. I am mystified but extremely happy I had her checked. Thanks for input. Regards.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  7,154
  • Content Count:  2
  • Achievement Points:  20
  • Birthday:  01/01/1985

First and foremost, it's common for birds to not accept fruit, or to be very picky with it (like only eat apples and nothing else). Don't worry about him disliking fruit- it's normal. Continue what you've been doing as far as preparing it in different ways. Perhaps try serving a different part of the fruit- for example, if you try feeding him bananas, then offer him the banana peel for a change (washed, of course), or the orange peel. Sure, the peelings of fruits don't offer much in the way of nutrients, but it can help him get acclimated into eating them.

Secondly, most of the best vitamins are found in your leafy green vegetables, stuff like spinach, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. It's great that he does eat these, and as long as he is, I wouldn't really worry about any sort of nutritional deficiency.

Try serving the fruits in a different way. Whenever I give my birds dandelion leaves, they will only eat it if I weave it through the bars in the cage- if it's on the ground, they ignore it. You could try hanging up the fruit in the cage like you would a toy (make sure to remove it when it starts showing signs of spoiling, such as becoming wrinkled or losing color). You could also try wrapping the leafy green vegetables around small amounts of the fruit you want him to try.