• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  110
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

Levi

As discussed in an earlier post Behaviour/health concerns. I had to euthanize a bird that was 9 months old and general was most concerned when he began showing symptoms like: squeaking like a hamster (especially while eating), white feet and pale cere, lethargy, increased appetite, puffed feathers and a liking for the heat lamp. He was sent away for a post mortem. The first part of the post mortem came back normal (but underweight). I’m waiting on the slide, tissue results. He was the last bird, introduced to the flock. I have a feeling the bacteria came in with him, he was never quite “right”.

Piper :)

As a precaution I took in Piper, the very next day. She was most bonded with the deceased bird. She hadn’t come out of her cage for two days and was beginning to also like a heat lamp. Her physical seemed normal but a stool sample revealed Megabacteria. The information at Budgie faq is really interesting. :D

Pickles, Piper and Henry are now on Amphotericin B via syringe twice a day for 30 days. I’m told that the dosage may cause liver damage. I am cleaning several times a day replacing water containers and mashing up fruit and vegetables. Hopefully I caught it in time in the other three, and they are strong enough to get through this. They have another check up on the 21st of Dec. ^_^

Budgies058.jpg">

Pickles, Henry, Piper

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Are you aware that megabacteria is a secondary disease that kicks in only after they have been affected by another primary disease ? An analogy is......Its kind of like having HIV and then fullblown AIDS takes over.

• Member ID:  4,768
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  110

Are you aware that megabacteria is a secondary disease that kicks in only after they have been affected by another primary disease ? An analogy is......Its kind of like having HIV and then fullblown AIDS takes over.

I would not be surprised if the male bird had another disease. I always thought that he was a little off (intuition). But does that also mean the other three may also have another "primary" disease?

I know they were going to test for chlymedia. The post moretm is not yet complete. This morning they said they would call me later today in regardes to the second half of the results. Little worried about that, since it's past the buisness day.

thanks,

Heather