Tatty Tail Feathers

Guest sallyc

We bought cookie home yesterday, his/her tails feathers are really tatty, could this be from being in such a small space with SO many other budgies? Does anyone know if theres anything i can do to help them back to a healthy condition or is that something cookie has to do for himself/herself?

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

It probably is due to being with all the other budgies. When cookie has his/her first proper moult, the tatty feathers should be replaced by nice sleek feathers. What colour is cookies cere? You should be able to tell if its male or female from that

Anne

Hi Anne,

His/her cere is light blue with a purple middle at the mo, have posted some photos in the picture section but the flash makes its cere look almost peachy.

His ring round his leg says he's about 4 months old (dont know if that helps?).

Thanks for the advise, Sal.

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Hi Sal, sounds to me like youve got a little boy there!

Hi sallyc,

If you look in question and tips(tatty feathers) you can see a picture of my bird with the same problem,his tail and wing tips are very tatty too.

Julie

• Member ID:  70
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

you can dip the tail feathers in hot water that straitens them

Hi Hath,

Thanks for the advice, will try that when i get them out tomorrow. He's not too great at landing, would the tatty tail feathers have anything to do with that? I was comparing them both today and considering cookie is a lot bigger than custard, cookies tail feathers seem to be a lot shorter, would that be a problem or could it just be that he hasnt had his moult yet???

Questions.. questions.. questions..!! (Laughing out loud)

Thanks, Sally.

Guest oscarchik101

i had a hen that couldnt do that whole landing thing either :(Laughing out loud): and hers were like that too. ill remember that tip about the hot water!! all the budgies in the local petshop have tatty feathers, too.

Hi oscarchick, i dont mind that cookie cant land too well when he's aiming for something solid but when he's trying to get on my shoulder he crashes into the back of my head! :( he made me jump that much earlier that i spilt my tea! (Laughing out loud)

This is interesting because my bird also has difficulty in gaining height when he is flying and I am beginning to think his tatty feathers must be causing this,I've noticed he doesn't run his wings or tail through his beak to preen them like Birdy does.

Thanks for warm water tip hath-I will certainly try that.

Julie

Hi Julie, after reading your last post i gave my birds a shower so i could watch them preen and yes cookie is the same he doesnt bother with his tatty feathers just does the nice tidy ones - not that he gets away with it because custard does the bits he missed (Laughing out loud)