• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  995
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/07/1958

. I feel helpless when they get sick as the Avian Vets r non-existant in Cape Town! There is one in the Countryside, far from us. I need to learn all preventative basics to avoid this, and almost take some vet course on Avian matters. anyone have any suggested books?.

• Member ID:  7,686
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  325

Sorry I can't help you maz7, but the internet might offer a few suggestions. I thought you might also be interested to see this if you haven't come across it yet.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=25603

I sure was!

All the best with your budgies.

• 2 months later...

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

There is much info on the internet like this site I found. http://ocw.tufts.edu/Content/60/lecturenotes/832349

• Member ID:  7,681

Thanks a span Phoebe - I just need to urgently now know if budgies are in a fight and the beak (Top) beak is broken off in the fight- a third remains, will it grow back? Do Budgies survive this. I have 2 females with off beaks. I crush and grind their seeds and de-husk them and they seem to be licking it up with their tongues. The little Rainbow Budgie is worse off than the other female, hers has grown back 2thirds already but the little one is so thin and weak, and this only happened 5 days ago. She is still surviving but I cannot administer any food-fights and moans like ***(Parakeet rearing porridge) I manage to get some Avi-plus Multi Vit & destress drops into her by dripping it drop by drop into beak which I think has helped her a lot. But food is the problem! The one survived on the crushed seeds and crushed Spinach,grated apple. I've even put mashed boiled egg down. When little one (Rainbow) looks weak i put a drop of honey in beak to energise.

• Member ID:  7,514
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,065

I really wish I would have clicked on follow topic, I could have asked the vet today. I have never seen this happen, I feel really bad for you. I am so sorry this has happened to your birds. I hope someone has the answer soon.

Found an article http://www.birds-onl...belbruch_en.htm

The suggestion to use a rolling pin on seeds inside a cloth to remove the shells is a good one.

Edited by Phoebes
  • 9 months later...

• Member ID:  7,681

Hi Phoebe, referring to abovementioned females with ripped off beaks: I took both and foiled their stumps to a more pointy look. Both survived on the de hushed millet and Swiss chard and apple.their names are "notails" and Rainbow. Both thriving since Oct 2013 and "No tails" has had 2 beautiful clutches of 7 each chicks. That stump beak remained short on both but the little it grew was with my filed points and "No tails" has fed and reared 14 chicks stump beak and ALL! isn't nature amazing?

Hi Phoebe, referring to abovementioned females with ripped off beaks: I took both and foiled their stumps to a more pointy look. Both survived on the de hushed millet and Swiss chard and apple.their names are "notails" and Rainbow. Both thriving since Oct 2013 and "No tails" has had 2 beautiful clutches of 7 each chicks. That stump beak remained short on both but the little it grew was with my filed points and "No tails" has fed and reared 14 chicks stump beak and ALL! isn't nature amazing?