• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  25
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I have had a few chicks born and for some reason my male is taking them out of the nest box and playing with it on the bottom of cage and has killed the last babies. At this point is it okay for me to leave the male out of the cage and let the mother take over feeding the babies without the male? I just want to know this is possible with out the male in the cage. I actually caught the male doing something to the baby when it was pulled out of the wood nest box and found on floor of cage. Oh and he is going nuts in the cage next to the mom and babies. Im afraid to put him back if he is gonna hurt or kill the baby or babies. i actually caught the male twice today taking baby out of nest box that is attached to the front outside of the cage. Help so i know whats best.

Edited by wendy16

• Member ID:  7,424
  • Group:  Site Members

Hi Wendy again, my male was just caught in the act of going into the nest box then grabbing baby and taking it to the bottom of the cage. He has done this three times today and dont know why. He was feeding the mother on the perch and in the box also and she was feeding the baby, but the issue im having is why is the male picking up the baby and taking it out of the nest? For now i have him in his own cage alone and the mother with baby and eggs. I need to know if this is gonna be okay since the male is doing this. Is there another way to use the nest box inside the cage or do you think the male wants to kill the baby or what do you think he is trying to do, would like someone who can really answer this one and thanks i need all the help i can get. So for this baby is still alive maybe born 4am today and so far still alive at 4pm.

The male has killed the other babies that were born in the past weeks so im fighting to keep this one going.

• Member ID:  5,144
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,440

Hi Wendy I don't think you have much choice other than to keep the male out. The hen should manage fine so long as you give her plenty of soft feed like egg and biscuit, corn kernels or soaked seed. If you can arrange your cages so that the male can feed the hen through the wire it might help otherwise keep him in a different area. Hope this helps cheers Jenny

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Is he a first time Dad? maybe it's just inexperience at work. I'd keep Dad away at this point and let Mum rear them. Or do you have another nest you could foster chicks into?

• Member ID:  4,257
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  981
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,495
  • Birthday:  28/07/1993

It will be fine to take the male (dad) Out the female can raise the chicks on her own, like hilly said just give extra soft food and place it quite near to the nesting box if you can so mum doesnt have to travel far to get food for the chicks. You can also put a millet spray in the box and she'll nibble on that and if the chicks are old enough they will play with it to learn how to eat.

I hope everything is well. :)

• Member ID:  7,424

Thanks for the help. Mom is doing just fine with the babys without dad. The babys are getting big now.

Is he a first time Dad? maybe it's just inexperience at work. I'd keep Dad away at this point and let Mum rear them. Or do you have another nest you could foster chicks into?

Yes he is a first time dad. Mum is doing a good job feeding the babys.

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

Great news Wendy, you could maybe give Dad a second chance next season. :) Maybe you could post some pics when the chicks are bigger?