My New Budgies - Advice Please?

Guest Hellybell

Guest Hellybell

Hi

I'm new to this site and fairly new to budgies but i jsut wondered if any of you have any advice for me.

I have just been given a budgie by my mum. She used to have lots in an aviary and when she moved 1000kms she brought her handtame budgie and this one in seperate cages with her and decided she no longer had room for both of them. (Her cat had just given birth to 5 kitttens!)

Buddy is 4 years old and has lived in an aviary his entire life. So as you can imagine, when i tried to get him used to just my hand in his cage he really didnt take to it. I've persevered but he really isnt keen and the fact i have 3 kids under 3 he really just isnt keen on doing anything that doesnt involve just him and peace and quiet. So i've given in to the fact that he might jsut need to sit by himself in his cage with just have regular company in the evenings when the kids are in bed.

However i was really wanting a budgie that i could hand tame and so i've gone and bought a baby budgie. I havent gotten it yet ( or even seen it for that matter - i know i know.. EEK) but there are no breeders near me, so when someone from 100kms away offered to bring me one i jumped at the chance as i'm not keen on buying them from pet stores.

So after that LONG story... my predicament is this. I obviously want to hand tame this new baby but i woudl like at some stage for it to hopefully be able to cheer up Buddy as he pretty much just sits on his swing all day long and doesnt do ANYTHING else :S

So i'm thinking..... if i put baby in a seperate cage do i need to keep him completely seperate while i hand tame him? Can they even hear each other? how would that work? Then i figure once hes fully tame i can introduce them and if they want they can eventually live together but i hae no qualms with them in seperate cages.

So what do you think? Any thoughts appreciated.

Also is quite normal for some birds/aviary birds to just sit and do nothing? I've given him bells, curled up toilet paper ( they are meant ot like that from what i hear) balls, even a teddy bear on his perch to cuddle up with and NOTHING!

okay well thats enough of an essay from me... thanks in advance!

Also feel free to PM me as i am new and i dont wanna forget....

Hey this looks just like Buddy :blush::D

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Welcome to our forums :blush: - I read your last post that is okay I have seen other boards post that way so it can get confusing.

Being Buddy is 4 years old and pretty much an untamed budgie I would keep your other one completely away from him until your new one completely bonds with you.

My experience and Pretty is not an aviary bird but a bird bird is that the new one will watch the older one and mimic him. So Merlin is my baby and when I have him around Pretty he follows him everywhere and doesn't want much to do with me. But if I have him alone I have better control of him.

Always quarantine your birds for 30 days, so there is where you can start with taming and bonding with both your birds. Remember you don't have to have Buddy completely tamed but creating a trusting relationship between the 2 of you. Meaning he may never sit on your shoulder or your finger but he can have somewhat of a trusting bond with you.

I believe most aviary birds are not usually given toys did your mom give him toys? Also many birds even if they are not avairy birds like my Pretty just don't play with them because they don't know how until they met a buddy. Pretty didn't play much is first 9 month but with the introduction of Merlin he seems more willing to be playful with the toys because now he has to share and Merlin likes toys.

Right now Merlin was introduced to Pretty about 1 week ago and though they will share a cage during the day I keep them in different cages at night because when I wake up in the morning I spend time without Pretty's interference that includes Pretty's calling because it is distracting. The minute Merlin hears Pretty's calling or chirping he flies away from me. So your answer to your question is they should not be able to hear each other because it just drives the other one nuts looking for the other bird.

You can go to www.*******.com, one of our members eterri created this site and it is very resourceful.

Edited by **Liv**
removed competing forum