• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,050
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/11/1989

Hi Lion

Pyrethrin is reasonably safe for use around birds but I would allow it to dry before placing birds back in contact with it.

When I used the 3 month surface sprays on cracks and dents etc, no more red mites - none. No need to throw away your cages etc if you go with this sort of treatment. I never did a major clean whilst treating our red mite infestation either. Just needed to break their breeding cycle and the 3 month surface spray did just that!

Ah okay, but that cant be used on the bird its self correct? i should just use it on their cages, perch.....

I wasn't gonna throw the cages, i was gonna throw away the badly infested and cracked nest-boxes and perches

Thank you

Edited by **KAZ**
  • 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  6,574
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,050
  • Birthday:  15/11/1989

read previous questions plz!, are any of the products safe on the birds??

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Hi Lion

Sorry been a very random visitor. You can use some forms of synthetic and/or natural pyrethrin straight onto the birds but i would use one that is purpose made for this. Where are you? If in Aus then use Avian Insect Liquidator or ANY other pet shop brand lice treatment on your bird. You CAN use ivomec spot-on for cattle directly on your birds (one drop on back of neck is fine) - DON'T use any organophosphate treatments on or around your birds - very deadly to them! Again if in aus you can spot these (the organophosphates) because they will always have "anticholenestrase" somewhere on the label.

Other synthetic pyrethroids used for long term treatments like the 3 month outdoor mortein type pump packs are fine to use on perching, nest boxes etc etc BUT I would allow the product to dry before allowing bird access. These are generally safe treatments around birds but in this form they are of a much higher concentration than the "on bird" treatments so I would always use at least a little caution.

Hope this helps!

Edited by nubbly5