• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Raspberry fruit juice cordial can kill the virulent bacteria that causes outbreaks of gastroenteritis, research shows. Experiments with pure raspberry juice and commercial cordials at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga have shown that a folk remedy commonly used by livestock owners has scientific validity, Dr Heather Cavanagh said.

Dr Cavanagh and colleague Dr Jenny Wilkinson from the school of biomedical sciences have found that a dash of concentrated raspberry juice kills E. Coli, salmonella, mycobacterium and staphylococci among other bugs. “We’ve looked at raspberry juice and raspberry cordial with at least 25 per cent juice and they both work very well,” Dr Cavanagh told AAP.

“Raspberry-flavoured cordials do not have the same effect, and when we tried the juice on fungus it just grew better, probably due to the sugars.”

Dr Cavanagh, who hails from Scotland, was startled to find that Australian cattle and pig farmers routinely use raspberry cordial to prevent gastric outbreaks in their animals, as well as recommending it for people.

“Apparently farmers in the Riverina when their cows start to develop gastroenteritis, instead of calling the vet they just tip a couple of litres of raspberry cordial into the trough,” she said.

“I also had a call from a pig farmer who claims the mortality in his piglets dropped from 40 per cent to zero by using cordial.”

The Budgerigar Council of Victoria recommends on its website a one in 10 dilution of raspberry cordial to prevent infection in breeding stock.

Dr Cavanagh, who is researching the medicinal properties of a range of herbal remedies, has not yet identified the active antimicrobial ingredient of raspberry juice.

Her research shows it’s either not present or not potent in the leaves of the raspberry bush, traditionally taken as tea for a range of medical complaints, including diarrhea in children.

Salmonella and other bacterial infections survive well in water, contributing to the rapid spread of gastroenteritis in communities such as schools and childcare centres, and being a major problem in developing countries. They are not always treated with antibiotics but resolve with high fluid intake.

“What we’ve shown in our in-vitro research only applies to prevention, not cure,” Dr Cavanagh said.

“But I have been approached today by someone who wants to do a clinical trial in India and if we do that we may be able to show that it is a treatment as well.” Dr Cavanagh said the bacteriological evidence so far suggested that a 35 per cent pure juice cordial at up to a 1:10 dilution may aid in preventing transmission of gastric bugs through contaminated water. AAP

By Rada Rouse

Saturday, March 24, 2001 - “BUDGIE NEWS” JANUARY/FEBRUARY. 1987.

From a write up in “Australian Post”, and from other sources, we have learned that early last year, cordial makers, Anchor Foods, in South Australia, discovered an untapped market of four million new customers a year. It all started as a result of a chance discovery by a Perth based team of scientists, led by Michael Gracey, Associate Professor of Child Health at the University of Western Australia.

Professor Gracey and his team had been looking for a simple, cheap and effective way of providing drinking water that was safe from bacterial contamination. Suspecting that cordial might be implicated in intestinal infections, they set out to see if they could grow the dangerous bacteria in various cordials.

They were amazed to discover that exactly the opposite was true. All of the cordials they tried, but particularly Anchor and Cottees Low Calorie, made short work of Salmonella, E. Coli and even the dreaded Vibrio~Cholerae, killing the bacteria in a matter of seconds. Anchor hadn’t considered using cordial to combat diarrhoea in animals until February 1985, when a Western Australian farmer, Keith Davey, got in touch with their office in Western Australia to tell them he wanted to buy raspberry cordial in bulk to feed his piglets.

He had seen the initial publicity about Professor Gracey’s findings and reasoned that cordial could work with pigs as well, because their digestive system is very similar to that of humans. Apparently gastric problems are very common in young pigs, with high mortality rates.

After experimenting with various flavours, Davey asked Anchor to settle on raspberry because all the others contained fruit particles which clogged up the teats of his piglets feeding equipment. The results he claimed to obtain could not have been more impressive. The mortality rate amongst his piglets dropped from around 4% to virtually nothing and his feed bill was halved.

Eventually Anchor developed a dry powder that could be added to water and this is a concentrated raspberry drink powder called “AWS 111” which has now been released on to the market. Silly as it may sound, farmer Keith Davey has been feeding his piglets raspberry cordial morning, noon and night, and pig farmers, and others too, all round Australia are following his lead.

In the future this unusual application could be extended to include chickens, horses, cattle, greyhounds, etc.

Here in Sydney, and I believe also in Brisbane and Melbourne, numbers of canary breeders are getting on the bandwagon this year in the belief that AWS 111 raspberry solution will help them reduce mortality in their baby canaries this breeding season, and there is every reason to believe that AWS 111 added to the drinking water will do just that.

The theory advanced is that any bacteria received into the water from the parent bird’s beak, will be killed within seconds, so that the adult birds and the chicks are drinking bacteria free water at all times.

Last breeding season, one of our members, the very prominent Norwich breeder, Ross Vincent, had his best year since 1981, with 80 odd youngsters and he gives full credit of his success to the use of raspberry cordial in the drinking water. He is completely sold on it and many others are now following his lead. The manufacturers say it is important to note that the use of their product is not a replacement for good management practices, especially hygiene.

It is not a magic panacea, as it will not clean up a dirty operation.

Brig Pitman advised that Anchor raspberry diet cordial, 2 litre bottle has natural sugar in it and is cheaper to purchase than AWS 111. It is diluted in the drinking water 1:10.

• Member ID:  5,830
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,590

This is not new news myself and many older breeders have used rasp. cordial for years it cleans the water as does condies crystals.

• Member ID:  5,901
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,097
  • Birthday:  01/01/1994

first i ever heard of it. but then again i am reletively new

Edited by Houman

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2

This is not new news myself and many older breeders have used rasp. cordial for years it cleans the water as does condies crystals.

Not new news to me either

BUT we often get questions about this so I posted something with good info :laughter:

• Member ID:  5,199
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  941
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  5,680

Thank you Kaz for sharing great info for us "Learners"....

I personally had no idea it was that benificial.... :bump:

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

JUST A QUESTION

if you use rasbery codial dayly wont it change the colour of the birds as it does with fish or even humans

if you put a fish a white one in food dye or cordiel it will change colour in fewdays to what ever colour you used

is this not the same in birs

human also can change colour from tomuch of one thing eg the man that turned blue

and people that eat too many carrots are yellow colour

(true)

wont my albinos end up with pink shine (which i dont want )

what brand do others use as i used it for a bit here and their but didnt really know why so i stopped but i used the one i use in my vodka :bump:

JUST A QUESTION

if you use rasbery codial dayly wont it change the colour of the birds as it does with fish or even humans

if you put a fish a white one in food dye or cordiel it will change colour in fewdays to what ever colour you used

human also can change colour from tomuch of one thing eg the man that turned blue

(true)

what brand do others use as i used it for a bit here and their but didnt really know why so i stopped but i used the one i use in my vodka :bump:

I seriously doubt they will change colour. Anyway I wouldnt use it everyday.

AND the idea is to use quality fruit juice cordial not the cheap brand with additional food colour.

JUST A QUESTION

(true)

AND the idea is to use quality fruit juice cordial not the cheap brand with additional food colour.

yeah i dont use cheep brand in my vodka ..lol so its all good :D NAR Ii was just wondering kaz

so how often would it be used mate like ones a month a week ????

i think that would look really cool (someone test it and see if it works) :D

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

i think that would look really cool (someone test it and see if it works) :hap:

:D ummm Houman, Subfussion is something that showbreeders don't want... I'm afraid we'll have to leave that one for the pet type breeders amongst us... :hap:

i think that would look really cool (someone test it and see if it works) :o

:D ummm Houman, Subfussion is something that showbreeders don't want... I'm afraid we'll have to leave that one for the pet type breeders amongst us... :huh:

:D ohh okay then

• Member ID:  5,463
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  880
  • Birthday:  09/05/1966

JUST A QUESTION

(true)

what brand do others use as i used it for a bit here and their but didnt really know why so i stopped but i used the one i use in my vodka :P

Maybe that explains my "ruddy" complexion (that's got nothing to do with Kevin Rudd by the way). Oh, but hang on, I don't drink raspberry cordial - my birds do. And the only time they look pink is when the get it on them and the type that I use regularly really stains!

The one I use is from Trend soft drinks in SA and is concentrated - 1ml to the litre!

cheers

PT

JUST A QUESTION

(true)

what brand do others use as i used it for a bit here and their but didnt really know why so i stopped but i used the one i use in my vodka ;)

Maybe that explains my "ruddy" complexion (that's got nothing to do with Kevin Rudd by the way). Oh, but hang on, I don't drink raspberry cordial - my birds do. And the only time they look pink is when the get it on them and the type that I use regularly really stains!

The one I use is from Trend soft drinks in SA and is concentrated - 1ml to the litre!

cheers

PT

so hows that work out with the showing pt

do you just have show team else where

how regula doe you give

chhers in advance gb

My birds get their water via bottles with "nipples" which means they don't get it everywhere.

Cheers, PT

My birds get their water via bottles with "nipples" which means they don't get it everywhere.

Cheers, PT

okay yes thats cool thanks pt

i tryed all diffrent drinkers and honestly they have all sucked so far lol

i only worked out the breeding cabbinets drinkers the flights im going to make myself as have spent over 80 dollors on heaps of diffrent ones with **** rezults

cheers

PT

wait what 1ml to a litre?? thats pretty concentrated

Edited by KAZ

cheers

PT

wait what 1ml to a litre?? thats pretty concentrated

...and it stains like all *?!%.

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  1,812
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  69
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

How often do you give this to the birds? i was thinking once a month - would this be enough?

Thanks

Lozza :blink:

• Member ID:  5,309
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,385
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

Yeah, from has been said I would say about once a month too...

This means I have to share my cordial with my budgies...? Geez... Nothing is safe from them... :rofl:

• Member ID:  3,383
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,136
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Achievement Points:  6,440
  • Birthday:  24/06/1948

Try 2 days a week & plain water in the middle 3 days & ACV the other 2days. :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,773
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  57
  • Achievement Points:  345

may I know what is a true fruit cordial? most I saw at supermarkets are plain sugar and colours. Where can I get good ones? Can't I crush some fresh raspberries myself? :wub::wub:

Found in anet search............In Oz, some Coles Supermarkets stock Sunraysia Premium Raspberry Delight – 80% - A$7.99 for 375 ml. It is a warehouse item and can be ordered in by any Coles manager. Also available from many supermarkets in Bali, including Circle K shops.100% natural Garden Fresh raspberry fruit syrup is available at the Pasadena Foodland in South Oz, A$5.50 for 750 ml bottle, also Golden Grove Village. Other Foodland managers can get stock in for you with a little persuasion. Contains only sugar, raspberry juice and citric acid. Used for drink flavouring and dessert toppings.Also raspberry syrup available at Gaganis Bros just off South Road at the intersection with Grange Road. 1.5 litres for A$4.95.Also in South Oz (and maybe other parts of Oz or the world) - Kevron Aust, 188 Glynburn Rd Tranmere Ph 8332 6055 or fax 8364 0739 , E-mail kevin@kevronfoods.com.au. Also - Aust Food Innovators, PO Box 970 Berri SA 5343 Ph 8582 4233 Fax 8582 4344, E-mail sales@austfoodinnovators.com.au. Pure raspberry juice with no artificial flavours, sugars or preservatives, 100% natural.Marsaka brand Raspberry Juice has a 65% concentration of juice. Available in Continental delis, even some butchers and supermarkets. In a 1 litre glass bottle so best to decant into plastic drink bottles for the trip over. The importers are Marco Polo Foods in Campsie, NSW. Ph 02 9718 8922 to find out your nearest stockists. In Adelaide the distributors number is 8345 3792 for your nearest stockist.In '05 the Coles Supermarket at the Colonnades Shopping Centre had Fresh Attitude 100% Raspberry Crush (in the fruit and veg section) - 300ml bottles for $4.98Anchor Cordial is available from Dawson's and Supa Valu in the northern Perth suburbs. Check the concentration of raspberry.Cascade Raspberry Fruit Juice Syrup is also good. Ph Freecall 1800 641 647 for stockists in your (Oz) area.**** Smith and Golden Circle (in Oz) both have raspberry cordial with 40% juice. Coles (at Warwick in WA and Colonnades in Sa at least) had 100% Natural Raspberry Crush made by Fresh Attitudes in '05. $4.50 for 300ml. $4.95 in SA. No added sugar no preservatives, no concentrates. Check the expiry date and refrigerate after opening. Can be frozen.Get the good oil from this web address: :- http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/s263898.htm .100% concentrate is available from Bramble Farm in Langwarrin, Victoria, Australia from Di Benson who will post you a supply COD – Di Benson at brambleb@bigpond.com. Ph 03 9776 7018. Take 10 mils undiluted twice a day. Tastes good, berry flavour, not sickly sweet.Also from Shepparton at http://www.berrysweet.com.au/.In '07 I heard that it was now available at the Gourmet Garage in Jimbaran Bay.

Healing Fruits

Ellagic Acid

Found in red raspberries, strawberries, blue berries, and certain nuts, the Hollings Cancer Institute at the U of South Carolina recently finished (1999) n years of study showing that ellagic acid:

* stops cancer cells from dividing in 48 hours

* causes normal cell death (apoptosis) within 72 hours in cases of breast, pancreas, esophageal, skin, colon and prostate cancers

* prevents the destruction of the p53 gene that leads to cancer

* caused apoptosis (normal cell death) in HPV (human papilloma virus) exposed to it

* one cup (150 grams) per day of red raspberries prevents the development of cancer cells.

From Dr Glen Halvorson's Book, Chemopreventive Properties of …Phytochemicals, welearn that ellagic acid:

* is anti-bacterial and destroys the H. pylori bacteria responsible for stomach ulcers.

* protects the liver and liver function

* binds with carcinogens (chemicals that cause cancer) making them inactive

* prevents carcinogens from binding to DNA

* reduces glucose levels (aids in management of diabetes).

Raspberries contain the highest amounts of ellagic acid, and it doesn't matter if the fruit is boiled, baked, canned, sugared, dehydrated, or fresh, the ellagic acid is still potent.One of the most amazing things about raspberries is that one cup per week stops prostate cancers (all prostate cancers) from growing for one week.Two more things are currently underway at the Hollings Cancer Institute: they're patenting a process that extracts the ellagic acid from raspberries and, hopefully, it will not be destroyed in the stomach (ellagic acid, so far, cannot be taken as a supplement, and must be eaten as the fruit) and they are conducting a double blind (neither patient nor physician knows who's taking what) study involving 500 cervical cancer patients.

Please note: if you are eating raspberries for their ellagic acid you must eat them on an empty stomach, before you eat anything else, or eat them in yogurt, as the curdling of the yogurt in the stomach will protect them. If your fruit sits in your stomach too long, because you've eaten something prior, stomach acid will destroy its healthful properties. Always keep in mind that a healthy body creates 40 million cancer cells daily, but the immune system cleans them up. Your immune system is your greatest defense against disease, and Health Care should focus on health; focus on a healthy immune system. Our system of Health Care is Disease Care. This is insane. Keep your immune system functioning and well fed, and you will maintain health.If you are on chemotherapy or radiation, your immune system is being systematically destroyed. Fewer than one percent of the conventional oncologist we have spoken with tell their patients anything regarding their immune systems. The simple fact is that when undergoing chemotherapy or radiation, your body becomes a toxic waste dump (even without counting the crud brought in by the medicines, because as a tumor dies, the body must clean it up; the immune system must clean it up—an immune system that is shot, that is). Therefore, anyone undergoing chemotherapy or radiation must detox and rebuild their immune system. .

Raspberry juice kills deadly bacteria

From the Sturt University in Wagga Wagga28/04/2001

Raspberry fruit juice can kill the virulent bacteria that causes gastroenteritis, Australian scientists reported on Thursday.Experiments with pure raspberry juice and commercial cordials at Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga, southern New South Wales, have shown the farmers' remedy has scientific validity, Dr Heather Cavanagh said.Scots-born Cavanagh and Dr Jenny Wilkinson from the school of biomedical sciences found that concentrated raspberry juice kills e-coli, salmonella, mycobacterium and staphylococci among other bugs."We have been told that if Riverina calves suddenly develop diarrhoea, local farmers don't call the vet, they simply add a couple of litres of raspberry cordial to their drinking trough," Dr Cavanagh said."We're also told that residents along the Queensland coast regularly indulge in this habit themselves and willingly pass on their knowledge to holiday-makers for a 'problem-free' holiday," she added.

Even commercial parrot and finch breeders and chicken factories add the cordial to the birds' drinking water in the belief that it prevents gastroenteritis and salmonella infection, according to Dr Cavanagh."As the foremost anecdotal use of this cordial is by cattle, pig and chicken farmers and cage bird breeders, it would appear Australia has been harbouring a secret agricultural weapon that may now be utilised by all," she said.

Source: Charles Sturt University in Wagga Wagga, southern New South Wales

Black Raspberries Show Multiple Defenses In Thwarting Cancer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A cup of black raspberries a day may help keep esophageal cancer at bay. Researchers found evidence in rats that black raspberries may both prevent the onset of esophageal cancer as well as inhibit precancerous growth already underway.

"Black raspberries are loaded with nutrients and phytochemicals that may prevent the development of cancer," said Gary Stoner, a study co-author and a professor of public health at Ohio State University.

Stoner, who has also found similar anti-carcinogenic effects with strawberries, said the study results suggest that a daily diet of about 1.4 to 2 cups of fresh strawberries may be ideal for staving off certain types of cancer.

"Although this level is larger than a standard serving size of fruit, it is behaviorally possible," he said. "The National Cancer Institute recommends that every American eat at least four to six helpings of fruit and vegetables each day. We suggest that one of these helpings be berries of some sort.

"The research appears in the journal Cancer Research.Esophageal cancer is the sixth-leading cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide. The outlook is bleak for those diagnosed with the disease - five-year survival rates range from 8 to 12 percent.

In the current study, the researchers looked at black raspberries' ability to halt the onset of cancer, as well as the fruit's ability to inhibit the progression of precancerous cells to cancer.They conducted experiments on two groups of rats. Some of the rats from each group were injected with NMBA, a chemical carcinogen that induces esophageal cancer.

NMBA is one of a group of chemicals called nitrosamines, compounds that have been linked to cancer. Nitrosamines are found in fried bacon, cured meats, tobacco products, beer and certain industrial products.Rats in the study received NMBA and their diet in a variety of combinations.

Some rats were fed a regular diet without raspberries, while others received diets consisting of 5 percent or 10 percent black raspberries. Some were fed raspberries only after receiving NMBA, while others were fed the raspberry diet before and after the injection with the carcinogen.Feeding the rats 5 and 10 percent black raspberries before and after NMBA treatment reduced the number of tumors per rat by 39 and 49 percent, respectively, when compared to animals not fed black raspberries.

The fruit also hindered the development of esophageal cancer in individual rats fed black raspberries after NMBA treatment. By week 15 of the study, diets of 5 and 10 percent black raspberries appeared to decrease tumor occurrence and size. At week 25, diets of 5 and 10 percent black raspberries had reduced the number of tumors by an average of 62 percent and 43 percent, respectively.By week 35 of the study, a diet of 5 percent black raspberries had reduced the number of tumors per animal by 66.5 percent, compared with NMBA-treated control mice fed a regular diet.

"When berries were fed to the rats that had been pretreated with NMBA, the diet containing 5 percent black raspberries seemed to inhibit cancer to a greater degree than did a diet of 10 percent berries, a finding that has also emerged in other studies," Stoner said.

"There are certain compounds in berries - and other fruits and vegetables - that in very high doses may actually promote the cancer process. This certainly doesn't mean to stop eating fruits and vegetables, but don't overdo it.

"Scientists know that certain foods contain compounds that are likely to protect against specific types of cancer. Past studies suggest that tomatoes help protect against prostate cancer, and that tea consumption may reduce the risk for esophageal cancer. But the mechanism of prevention is still somewhat of a mystery.

Raspberries are chock full of compounds with potentially anti-carcinogenic effects, including vitamins, minerals and plant nutrients such as anthocyanins - strong antioxidants that give berries their color.

"We're currently looking at berry extracts and testing the ability of these extracts to inhibit the development and progression of cancer," Stoner said. "As we identify these extracts, we will then try to pinpoint the specific compounds in them that help inhibit cancer.

"In the current study, Stoner and his colleagues tested the effects of ellagic acid - a plant nutrient shown to have protective effects against esophageal cancer. Berries are rich in ellagic acid. But the researchers found that ellagic acid alone could not account for the fruit's ability to inhibit cancer.

"One or more additional berry components are undoubtedly contributing to the fruit's anti-cancer effects,

" Stoner said.He chose black raspberries for this study because previous studies had shown that ellagic acid inhibited carcinogen-induced esophageal and colon cancer in animals. He and his colleagues then tested a series of fruits for their ellagic acid content, finding that berries contained the highest amount."We then decided to take a food-based approach to cancer prevention and began testing the berries' ability to inhibit chemically-induced esophageal and colon cancer," Stoner said.

"Sure enough, we found that freeze-dried berries were highly protective in the esophagus and colon. But we also found that they were ineffective in protecting against lung cancer.

"The protective compounds in berries may not be absorbed into the blood stream and delivered to the lungs in high enough amounts to be protective. We do believe that they protect the esophagus and colon because they are absorbed by these organs as the food moves through the digestive tract.

"The study was funded by a grant from the Ohio Department of Agriculture and the National Cancer Institute.Stoner co-authored the study with Laura Kresty, Mark Morse, Peter Carlton, Ashok Gupta, Michelle Blackwood and Charlotte Morgan, all of Ohio State, and Jerry Lu of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at the University of Texas in Smithville, Texas.

Source: Ohio State University (http://www.acs.ohio-state.edu/units/research/)Date: Posted 10/30/2001

Dark-colored fruits contain the highest levels of phytonutrients, bioflavanoids, and antioxidants. Berries (cranberries, blueberries, bilberries, raspberries and strawberries) are packed with antioxidants. Blueberries and cranberries contain anthocyanins which, in addition to being a potent antioxidant, is also a free radical scavenger. Dark grapes contain ellagic acid , selenium, and quercetin (a powerful flavanoid). Studies show that grapes enhance natural killer cells and can eliminate small tumors. Grape seed contains proanthocyanidin oligomers (PCO), or as you find them in the health food store: Pycnogenol. Get a blender and blend up your dark grapes (concord's are the best, followed by purple grapes) seeds and all.More Medical research confirms eating red raspberries may be one of the most potent ways to fight cancer.Dr. Daniel Nixon, Medical University of South Carolina

"One of the most popular and flavorful fruits on the market now has an entirely new reason for becoming a part of a healthy diet. Recent medical tests have shown that the red raspberry is one of the most effective all-natural ways to fight certain forms of cancer.Red raspberries have the highest content of ellagic acid, a phenolic compound that is a proven anti-carcinogen, anti-mutagen and anti-cancer initiator. Tests conducted at the Hollings Cancer Center at the Medical University of South Carolina have revealed that the ellagic acid from red raspberries is readily absorbed by the human body. This ellagic acid has been clinically shown to cause apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells.Ellagic acid is active in antimutagenesis assays, and has been shown to inhibit chemically induced cancer in the lung, liver, skin and esophagus of rodents, and TPA-induced tumor promotion in mouse skinAdditional tests have revealed that the ellagic acid in red raspberries retains its potency after heating, freezing and concentration processing. So whether consumed fresh, in juices, fruit spreads, preserves or sorbets, the red raspberry should become a part of any healthy diet.

"How does ellagic acid work?

Ellagic acid acts as a scavenger to "bind" cancer-causing chemicals, making them inactive. It inhibits the ability of other chemicals to cause mutations in bacteria. In addition, ellagic acid from red raspberries prevents binding of carcinogens to DNA, and reduces the incidence of cancer in cultured human cells exposed to carcinogens.

Edited by KAZ

good read Kaz, thanks very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this, not sure when it happened but SUNRAYSIA 80% raspberry juice is no longer available from Coles or other retailers. I rang them this afternoon and they said due to low sales, it is no longer in production. Pity I love their other products.

may I know what is a true fruit cordial? most I saw at supermarkets are plain sugar and colours. Where can I get good ones? Can't I crush some fresh raspberries myself? :rofl: :rofl:

i was told so long as the raspberry cordial had

211 , 223 then thats all i need doesnt need to be 30 percent or more fruit consentrate cause i looked everywhere for months no luck so i asked at the shields what raspberry cordial was i ment to get cause i couldnt find the right one

and was told any that had 211 or 223 infact they said 223 was the main need

sulfa something arather :rofl:

would this be ture