bought some today

Guest morethanrubies

Guest morethanrubies

I finally got some sprouted wheatgrass at PetsMart, and some of the Beak Appetit "Cream of Tweet." (It was either that or the lutino female...and a divorce.) I have the wheat grass on its side as pixie25 suggested, and misted it with water, but how often/how long do I give them access to it? Is it an everyday or few times a week thing? They've already nibbled at it a bit & it's only been in the cage for about 10 minutes. Yay!

I'm less enthusiastic about the Cream of Tweet being accepted readily. :) Has anyone ever tried to just make half of the batch? I might try that, since budgies can't probably finish the whole thing in 4-5 days. I'll let you know.

They're nibbling the wheat grass again! Yay! Could this be the gateway to getting them to eat veggies? Maybe I'll try it on my kids!

Guest morethanrubies

I cooked the Beak Appetit just now to give them tomorrow. We'll see if they greet that as enthusiastically. I'm taking the wheatgrass out of their cage for the night to sit in a saucer of water. Do I just keep sort of trimming it down & letting it regrow?

Guest RishaMoonshadow

I have no idea... (Laughing out loud) I bought some today too, and I almost bought some beak appitite... but since I was buying a bigger cage, new bird and accessories, I figured I better draw the line somewhere... hehehehe. I put the wheat grass in Sunshines cage and he has nibbled on it. woo hooo... I hope this leads to an interest in some leafy veggies at least.

Risha

Guest morethanrubies

That's what I'm hoping for, too. A gateway to veggies in general. I'll keep you posted on the Beak Appetit. I cooked it just now to feed it tomorrow. I only cooked up half the batch (after careful measuring) and it worked just fine. Smelled so good I tasted some...it's not bad. :D

Congrats on the new bird & everything!!! I'm so jealous. I'm saving my pennies for the bird mart here in Nov. hehehe *furtive glance at husband*

Guest pixie25

HOORAY! im so glad they like it. (but i knew they would!) they go crazy for it. once you get them eating the wheatgrass they generally will pounce on any leafy green veggie so it is dfinitely great.

i offer the wheatgrass daily, they tend to strip the shoots with their beaks so at the end of the day i just pick off all the little frazzly bits and leave it on the windowsill till morning and offer it again.

you only need to stop feeding it when it starts to go off colour, it should last quite a while before it goes bad though.

i didnt think much of the beak appetit, i would rather get my birdies eating pellets.

Guest pixie25

i did post it in the other thread! :P i didnt like the cinnamon smell, i hate cinnamon. the birds didnt eat it either, but if you dont mind the smell and you can get your birds eating it thats great!

if i did buy beak appetit again i would buy the little veggie or apple harvest ones you can get especially for small birds :P

Guest morethanrubies

Oh, ooops. :P I think they're actually eating a bit of it, though. It's on their beaks, anyway. I got the cream of tweet one, because I'm not a fan of cinnamon either. I'll look for the ones specifically for little birds next time.

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Mine eat all the flavors, and it makes up a good portion of their diet. It is made with human grade ingredients, so what your birds don't eat, you can. :huh: I usually just cut the wheatgrass down when it gets ratty. Watch the base though, if you overwater it, it will grow mold then you have to throw it out. My birds like to dig down into the base, rip out the wheatgrass, and eat the sprouted seed along with the grass, so I have to check the growth medium before I give it to the birds. I keep a new one growing so they will always have a good pot of it. :)