• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  30
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi  I am looking for some advice on a beautiful little budgie I have acquired due to an accident.

Here's the background:

A nameless budgie living  in a cage  in  a care home escaped and flew hard into a window. 

She was found lying virtually lifeless on the floor in a busy public area, not moving at all apart from breathing

I took her home in a shoebox, to a quieter environment expecting that she wouldn't survive. 

However, fast forward a week and with love, care and hand feeding from my family and I, we have a very social, inquisitive bird, feeding well on seeds and fruit, loving mirrors and addicted to Youtube videos of budgies singing. She eats from our hands and will sit in our palms nibbling at a seed block and our fingers!!

However, she cannot fly, perch or walk properly since the accident. She can hop round a little and climbs using her beak. 

Her owner has just told me to look after her and not take her to the vet due to the cost involved.

I have spoken to the local vet who has said just keep on doing what we are doing and see how things go.

Chinkee, (that's what we have named her after a budgie my late grandmother had) seems very happy and contented, she is eating well and seems very such a lovely social bird.....but will she survive not being able to fly and perch long term. She does seem to be getting stronger and livelier everyday.  She is in a very large plastic container with mirrors toys and a bedding area, she gets around by kind of launching herself and hopping and can get to her food. It more like looking after a mouse than a bird. Chinkee's favorite activity seems to be watching a video of a budgie chirping and climbing up my husbands shirt and pulling his beard. 

She is not chirping or singing herself and seems to have blocked "air holes" on her beak. Sorry I don't know the terms. She had blood round her beak following her accident. Is there a safe way to clean up those holes? She is as already mentioned eating well.

She attempts to preen but loses her balance easily. I have bathed her in shallow luke warm water to keep her underside clean.

Any advice would be so gratefully appreciated