• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  25
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, little back story first. our oldest budgie Daffi is almost 3 years old. He's always been a little crazy, non stop, full on playful. Semi trained but loves company and our children. We introduced a new baby bird completely hand tamed in April. They adore each other. They go everywhere together. They are out of their cages from morning to night. They have separate cages as they can't seem to tolerate each other at nighttime! I'd  love if they could. 

They always played out on their playground with all the toys, screaming and chirping, being happy. Daffi never slept during the day ever. When Joey took naps Daffi started to as well. They loved foraging and eating veggies etc. We looked after my nieces budgie while she was on holidays. They all got on so well. Had the best time. 

The thing I should mention is Daffi was always humping his toy bird, feeding mirrors etc. He tried and few times with Joey and we used distractions, he used to try with everything. He became a little aggressive to Joey and us. So we took away the toy bird. He seemed fine and started playing more with us and Joey. 

Within the last few weeks though he's not the same bird. He refuses to go near the playground and toys which means Joey won't go either. He well only eat in Joey cage, first thing in the morning pet he goes for breakfast. He prefers to stay in either his cage or the other one. Just chilling and relaxing. He's sleeping more  too and very quiet. He's like a completely different budgie. All the things that used to excite him no longer do. 

Why would he actively avoid his favourite things. He's stopped squawking and talking as much, he's like a wee old budgie. 

He bit Joey on the base of his back a few weeks ago and drew blood unprovoked as we were watching when it happened. Thankfully we could get Joey help and stop the bleeding. 

It's like someone swapped our crazy budgie for a quiet sleepy afraid budgie. 

• Member ID:  8,844
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  22
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

The only thing I can think of is that Daffi might be sick. When birds are ill, they tend to go into a shell of sorts and just aren't the same as they were before. I'd fully recommend going to a vet and asking them. Oh, and take away the mirror if you haven't already. Mirrors are actually really bad for birds and I would not recommend them in the slightest.