Please help?!

Guest bigglesboy

Guest bigglesboy

Sorry I haven't introduced myself but I think I have an urgent problem.

I have had my new budgie 2 days and he is about 6 weeks old. He was very quiet the 1st evening but started to liven up the following day. During the morning of that day he had a very runny green poo which was hanging from him. He eventually rubbed it off on a perch. He then started eating some millet and his poo became whiter with a bit of black/green. Today he has started to eat seed and his poo is looking really normal (white/black ball). He has done a lot of exploring in his new home and has been chirping away happily.

He seems really happy and settled but his vent area is looking very mucky. I held him earlier to try and wash it off but it has gone quite hard. He has tried to clean himself but has only ended up with poo on his beak!!!. There has been a bowl of water on the floor of his cage since I brought him home and he has been in there too.

Please can someone advise me on what to do. I'm really worried as I have read that their vent area should always be fairly clean :blush:

I will now introduce myself properly on another thread.

Many thanks in advance

Guest eterri

Welcome to the forums! :blush:

Clean his vent with warm water until it comes off. A blocked vent can cause some serious problems. It probably got that way from the stress of going to a new home because it sounds like his droppings are really good now. Once you get it clean things should go more smoothly. Good luck!

Guest bigglesboy

Thank you so much devvle for replying so quick. I have been reading a topic in budgie behaviour about lots of poo around a budgies bottom. It seems it is quite common for them when they first go to a new home.

I tried to clean it earlier but didn't have a lot of luck, abart froma badly bitten finger and biggles getting a little stressed, so decided to leave it for a while.

He seems really fine otherwise. If it is still there in the morning, I will have another go at cleaning it again.

Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated

Guest Andy

the diorreah probably came from the stress of moving now that he is settled its a shame this has become stuck but his vent area really needs unblocking, im not sure if its possibe to trim this area if warm water wont remove it maybe sombody else will know but you would have to be very carefull, good luck, hope this is resolved soon :blush:

Guest eterri

You're very welcome, I'm glad to help.

I'd clean it as soon as possible though. You don't want poo getting backed up in his vent. The longer you wait the harder it will be. Wrap him in a cloth so you can restrain him more easily while you wipe it off. Just be sure not to squeeze him too hard.

Hope you're able to get it cleaned off!

Guest bigglesboy

:blush: Hooray!!!

Managed to hold him gently while wearing a glove, but I've been able to clean it gently and have removed everything.

A feather came out while I was cleaning which was covered with stuck on poo. I hope this didn't hurt him. I don't know who's more stressed, me or biggles!!

But I feel much better knowing that it is clean, surely he is also more comfortable too?

He's back on his favourite perch but very quiet. Hopefully he will be back to normal tomorrow after a good nights rest!! :blush:

Thanks for all your help and advice. I am so happy that I have managed to clean him up :blush:

Guest Trikkivix

WOOHOO

No more poo!!!!!

Couldnt resist..I'll get my coat................. :D

Oh and hello , welcome and have fun :D:D

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Glad you were able to clean off Biggles bottom! :D I'm sure he's feeling much more comfy now! :D

Guest eterri

I had to do that when I first got Piper. The droppings had dried on her vent and I'm sure it did hurt but I did it fast and they came off. (In her case the pellets I was feeding her weren't agreeing with her and causing her droppings to be off.) I hated that it hurt but sometimes they have to go through a little discomfort for their own good. I'm glad you were able to clean them off. :D A moment of discomfort probably prevented a much huger problem in the future.