Hi From Buzz And His His First Time Budgie Owner Mum!

buzz the budgie

• Member ID:  6,928
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  45
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Everyone, I am so pleased to have found this forum, as I have been really quite unsure about what to do with a few issues with beautiful Buzz ( a wild, rescued Australian Budgie) (the kids named him Buzz after Buzz Lightyear!).

I found him last week, clinging to our fencepost with a broken wing, which appeared to be a clean break as there was not a lot of blood. So I rang the vet, who was away until the following day. Overnight, Buzz must have been in pain as he was bleeding quite a bit in the morning, so the vet splinted his wing and he is now on antibiotics and appears to be doing quite well, I think!

The problem is though, is that I have never owned a budgie before and I am unsure about how to effectively give him his antibiotics without stressing him out too much and also getting it into his mouth properly.

Also, he is mainly in a quiet room with natural light ie sunrise/sunset are 'normal'. Is this okay, should I be covering him at a certain time, do they prefer to be covered and does too much unnatural light affect them badly??

I am taking him outside for short periods during the day as well as bringing him into our living area (when the house is quiet!) - is this all okay? He seems to be doing okay and he is recognising my voice and doing lots of 'blinking' but still gets quite shaky when I go to get him out once a day for his medicine.

I am sorry for going on for so long, but I really want to make sure I am doing the right thing for Buzz and give him the best chance to be happy, as he is just beautiful and has been so brave!!

Cheers for now,

Buzz and family!

• Member ID:  6,349
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  222
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,340

The problem is though, is that I have never owned a budgie before and I am unsure about how to effectively give him his antibiotics without stressing him out too much and also getting it into his mouth properly.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will get back to you. There's a bit of a technique to it. I presume you're doing it with a dropper.

Also, he is mainly in a quiet room with natural light ie sunrise/sunset are 'normal'. Is this okay, should I be covering him at a certain time, do they prefer to be covered and does too much unnatural light affect them badly??

They prefer natural day/night cycles, but a bit of house light won't freak them out. They just won't go to sleep properly till the lights dim. You can place a cover over his cage as night falls and see if he's okay with that.

I am taking him outside for short periods during the day as well as bringing him into our living area (when the house is quiet!) - is this all okay?

Sunlight is good for them (VIt D like us). Watch him while he's out there, as predator birds or other animals might have a go at him. Also, budgies normally like a bit of noise. Silence means there may be a predator around.

He seems to be doing okay and he is recognising my voice and doing lots of 'blinking' but still gets quite shaky when I go to get him out once a day for his medicine.

I am sorry for going on for so long, but I really want to make sure I am doing the right thing for Buzz and give him the best chance to be happy, as he is just beautiful and has been so brave!!

Hope he gets better soon. They are gorgeous little birds.

• Member ID:  6,806
  • Content Count:  12
  • Achievement Points:  90

Hopefully someone who knows more about this will get back to you. There's a bit of a technique to it. I presume you're doing it with a dropper.

They prefer natural day/night cycles, but a bit of house light won't freak them out. They just won't go to sleep properly till the lights dim. You can place a cover over his cage as night falls and see if he's okay with that.

I am taking him outside for short periods during the day as well as bringing him into our living area (when the house is quiet!) - is this all okay?

Sunlight is good for them (VIt D like us). Watch him while he's out there, as predator birds or other animals might have a go at him. Also, budgies normally like a bit of noise. Silence means there may be a predator around.

He seems to be doing okay and he is recognising my voice and doing lots of 'blinking' but still gets quite shaky when I go to get him out once a day for his medicine.

Hope he gets better soon. They are gorgeous little birds.

Hi there, you appear to be doing everything right and he is just so lucky to have found you. Obviously a family who cares.

The only thing I can add is maybe a small mirror in his cage because if he is use to being with others he could fret.

I had a pet one many years ago and my Mum left the door open and he flew away. 2 weeks later I visited a friend who was keeping budgies and there he was in their aviary. My friend said he had been digging in the garden when my budgie landed on his head.

They then put him in their aviary with others. I took him back home and a few days later he died. I put it down to fretting. With a little mirror they see themselves and obviously think its a mate. Good luck with Buzz! Best regards dazler2

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi welcome to the forum.

Have you asked around to see if someone has lost a budgie? I'm not tying to be mean by asking this. Someone out there might be upset that the have lost a loved pet.

What you have described in doing is right and l'm sure the budgie is happy that you have found him and is being looked after well.

• Member ID:  6,928
  • Content Count:  5
  • Achievement Points:  45

Hello and thank you so much for your replies and info. I'm glad that you feel that we are generally on the right track. He seems better again today and I have been able to spend a bit more time with him and he seems to be responding and appearing more comfortable.

Birdluv, I entirely understand what you mean about his 'pet status' however I am 95% sure he is a wild budgie as I live in a rural area on a very quiet dirt road quite a way from other houses and we regularly have flocks of budgies flying around - which is lovely. I will post a photo of him to see what you think.

Thank you again everyone and I will post a question in the health section about the antibiotics.

Cheers for now,

Buzz and family