Arthritus in wing

Guest scully3915

Guest pixie25

well i think the only thing i could suggest alongside giving him a balanced diet of fruit, veg and seed/pellets is possibly giving him a little more eggfood than you normally would? it has more protein and helps little chicks grow so maybe it would help in healing too?

i would suggest giving a pot with seeds in and a separate pot with eggfood mixed with a drop of water.

also, if he hasnt already got a mineral block as well as cuttlebone that may help to give extra minerals and prevent deficiencies ;)

other than that i think just make sure he gets lots of rest and maybe put him to bed earlier than usual if he seems tired so that he will get his strength back.

i hope the little fella feels better soon

pixie x

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

If it is a sprain, I think I would curb his out-of-cage time so he does not try to fly on it for about a week. That way I think it would have a better chance of healing.

Guest Julie

Humans take cod liver to help ease joints-maybe a tiny drop mixed with his seed?

I don't know the right ammounts but maybe your vet might know.

Julie

Guest scully3915

:( Thankyou all for your thoughts and advice. Graham has to have 3weeks or more cage rest, in his little cage. Hes actually looking a bit better today, the wing seems less droopy. (fingers crossed) i am having a hard time getting him to eat any greens, ive even chopped up a leaf and stuck bits in between his millet.I see today its all over the floor of his cage.

Is there anything i could put in his water, i cant seem to see anything worthwhile online. Nothing beats fresh, but if he needs the extras its better than nothing.

I am praying this is a bad sprain, not athritus(spelling!) but ime will tell.

Whats your thoughts on a bird that cannot fly, or fly well. Do you think it would be unkind to keep him like this. If he stays like this, i will get him a mate. Birds are ment to fly, but i do feel if he is comfortable he could have a quality life.

Are birds stoic?

Donna

Guest pixie25

im glad he is looking a bit better :( hopefully it is just a sprain but i guess you will have to wait until his three weeks are up.

i dont think that him not being a ble to fly will affect his quality of life at all if he does have arthritis. he should still beable to move around and climb from perch to perch and i had great fun playing games with my two when they were clipped :huh:

there are lots of things they like to play with on the floor. lattice balls with bells inside that they can roll around on the floor, shiny bits of jewellry/coins. my budgies looked like they were having a ball exploring around the place on foot, you just have to be careful that they dont get squashed though.

i dont think it would be cruel in any way and you may not have to get another companion bird for him, his illness might even strengthen his bond with you :P the only problem with getting a new bird if he can no longer fly is that the new bird will be able to fly and this might scare the poor little guy and he might hurt himself trying to copy the other bird - that would be my only concern.

i hope he continues to improve and keep us posted on how he's doing :)

p.s i forgot to mention, putting supplements in the water really isnt a good idea, budgies can be fussy little things and it might put him off drinking the water all together. have you tried getting him perched at eye level and eating greens in front of him then offering him some? they are such little copy cats im sure it wont be long before he takes a nibble.

Edited by pixie25
Guest scully3915

yeah, im sure if there were any areas the vet was concerned about he would have referred you on to the avian one. :P

I have finally got Graham 'Green' eating greens. I have put broccolli in his cage, as its full of vit c, which is great for reducing inflammation on joints.

Hope its going to help. Hes still very perky, its all good signs.

Donna

Guest mistymoo

email me if you are able to handle the budgie i will help you try and give some healing treatment and tell how to try to do this i know this works for humans i have helped cats,but not tried birds as yet?also ask the vets or anyone if you are able to use essential oils in a bird bath or not? that gives you some more options other than diet?mistymoo

Guest scully3915

Well its been a while since i sent an up date. Grahams wing is still about the same. Hes away with us, and getting lots of attention.Pretty perky.Now and again i see him shake, which in dogs is a sign of pain, so it makes me wonder if its the same in birds.

Since he cannot fly well, hes getting really tame. I dont hold much hope on this wing, and can see him staying this way.

Guest mistymoo

are you able to handle graham ? get a warm towel handy and just try to sit him on your lap and then gently hold in both hands if you can with his head free to poke out dont hold him too tightly allow a tiny gap between your hand and bird if you feel a warmth in your hands you are then hopefully giving graham some alternative healing treatment called reiki .it proves well on humans some have tryed with animals.its worth giving this a try if you can,its free and painless.let me know if this helps it might take a few goes to see an inprovement .mistymoo